It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
(male)

Gettuit HB User
Advice please

Hello, I am 54 and have had a microdiscectomy almost 15 months ago. I was totally pain free until I bent incorrectly and grabbed a falling pressure washer. Since then I have had pain as before Right But ,Right back thigh and calf ,foot and arch and toe. Went back to neurosurgeon and MRI's were made, He stated that the surgery site was still good but that the L-3,L-4 discs were now bulging. Tried epidural nerve block, but it did not help. I have been hurting since November and am scheduled to go back to the neurosurgeon Feb.,18th. What should I asked him ? I hurst at times so bad that tears come to my eyes. Help please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Advice please

Perhaps some pt will be helpful along with some aquatherapy. It is hard to predict and only you will know when you have had enough.

Good luck.

Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[COLOR=Magenta]I was totally pain free until I bent incorrectly and grabbed a falling pressure washer. [/COLOR]

That hurts just to try to picture it. I have a new motto ever since I injured myself, if it falls, let it, it is not worth your back. But that is crying over spilt milk. I hope that they don't find anything more than a pulled muscle.

Old 02-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

I would suggest you try hydotherapy or as they say in America Aquatherapy, If this does not work and you have exhaustedall other physiotherapy options you may need to explore surgical options. This of course would be a last resort.

Good luck

Losy

Old 02-05-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

I also suggest you try PT before going for another surgery. I had great success with PT for a herniated disc & am now in PT for degenerated discs in my neck, but talked to a gal there today who has 3 herniated discs, has been in PT there for 2 months & said she is sooooo much better & even returned to work on lite duty, so try everything before another surgery.

Old 02-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
(female)

Jillians HB User

From experience, I say don't ever do physical therapy until you know for sure what is going on in there! When I first herniated two disks the doc told me to exercise excessively....needless to say I wound up with a fractured vetebra....plus blood in my urine for a while. PT made me worse. In fact hydrotherapy or aquatherapy is tied in to the docotors offices for the doctors to make money for their gyms of choice. I went to this too. The teacher did not even know I was there for back injury and most of the people who were there were just old people and that was the only exercise they could perform. Not to mention I am slightly germaphobic and I was in a big vat of warm water with like 12 people. That did not help me out emotionally or mentally. I also did a controversial PT called Med-X which is working on range of motion while strapped in to a weight machine designed with Nautalis and the University of Florida. I did well and had almost full range of motion going when the therapist decided to up my weight load one day and I was ruined. On top of that the man who ran the program sent me to get massage. The girl who did this was (I found out later) not fit to rub a ball of dough. He just did some sort of weekend "workshop" with her which lasted about 8 hours and wrote her out a ceritificate. There are people in this industry who are not trained properly or at all. Especially for people who are recovering from spinal injuries and surgery of the spine. My surgeon let me go do these therapies against his wishes, but there was a definite "I told you so," when I did not get better, but worse. Do what feels right. Walk if you can and stretch if you can and them give yourself a break. PT can be dangerous.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:29 PM   #7
(male)

Gettuit HB User

[QUOTE=Jillians]From experience, I say don't ever do physical therapy until you know for sure what is going on in there! When I first herniated two disks the doc told me to exercise excessively....needless to say I wound up with a fractured vetebra....plus blood in my urine for a while. PT made me worse. In fact hydrotherapy or aquatherapy is tied in to the docotors offices for the doctors to make money for their gyms of choice. I went to this too. The teacher did not even know I was there for back injury and most of the people who were there were just old people and that was the only exercise they could perform. Not to mention I am slightly germaphobic and I was in a big vat of warm water with like 12 people. That did not help me out emotionally or mentally. I also did a controversial PT called Med-X which is working on range of motion while strapped in to a weight machine designed with Nautalis and the University of Florida. I did well and had almost full range of motion going when the therapist decided to up my weight load one day and I was ruined. On top of that the man who ran the program sent me to get massage. The girl who did this was (I found out later) not fit to rub a ball of dough. He just did some sort of weekend "workshop" with her which lasted about 8 hours and wrote her out a ceritificate. There are people in this industry who are not trained properly or at all. Especially for people who are recovering from spinal injuries and surgery of the spine. My surgeon let me go do these therapies against his wishes, but there was a definite "I told you so," when I did not get better, but worse. Do what feels right. Walk if you can and stretch if you can and them give yourself a break. PT can be dangerous.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input, I am now having pain in the left buttocks , left leg and Toe. The more I am up and walking the more it hurts and tingles. I get woke up every time I sleep . All I have been taking for pain is 800 mg ibuprofen, Now my stomach is messing up. I am scheduled to go back to the neurosurgeon on the 18th. Any advice on as to what to ask him ? This has been going on since November.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
So sorry to here about your pain. You might want to keep a pain type journal to show him, say how you are in the morning, is it burning pain, throbbing , aching, stabbing, do have numbness. What seems to relieve it and what seems to make it worse I have never done so, but years of this it would probably have been good. Something seems to happen when we go to our appts. We are filled with what we will say and so on, and then it all leaves and for some reason you end up leaving your appt saying "Oh I forgot to say how numb my toes are" etc. You can ******** a pain journal off of any web site. This may give him some insight into what is going on. Certain conditions are certainly worsened by different activities i.e sitting, laying down, standing, etc. or better with others . I hope this helps a little. The best thing to do is go in prepared and give your doctor info he can work off of, a generic I hurt all the time does not help them figure out which route to take. Take care and good luck.
shelley

Old 02-09-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
(male)

Gettuit HB User
Question Re: Advice please

Thanks for the info. What Site do I go to to ******** a Pain Journal? Great Idea. I always forget to mention something when at the doctor !

Closed Thread