It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #1

painful cindy HB User
Question neurontin???

Well hello all! I know its been awhile since I've posted but my computer was on the blitz and finally... IT'S FIXED!!

I had fusion on my L-5 S-1 on December 21, so far I think I am doing rather well!! But I have had some leg problems since, my leg feels like it is in that numbing sleep feeling all the time its very hard me to move it at times. I had my 6 week check up yesterday my ortho said it was either nerves waking up or they scraped a nerve when they did surgery, either one it will go away in time. He gave me a scrip of neurontin, can anyone give me any info on this drug???

On a lighter note my back is WONDERFUL!!!! First time in 2 years I dont have a back ache

Thanks, Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Veteran

AlSmith HB User
Re: neurontin???

Cindy, there has been alot of discusion on the board about Neurontin lately. I had a micro-d at L5,S1 in August and afterward I developed alot of pain in my foot. My doc put me on Neurontin and it has been great for me. That has not been everyone's experience. If you look at some old posts, there is alot of valuable feedback on side effects and whether it worked for people. I have a hard time with this subject because it has worked so well for me. If you do start taking it, follow the doctor's directions and if it causes you problems, notify him. Good luck.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
(female)

stpatsangel HB User

I was recently put on neurontin also. I am not sure if I have noticed a difference yet because I was also started on methadone and I am receiving epidural steroid injections in to t7-t8. I can let you know when and if I see a difference. Hang in there.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I've been on neurontin and it didn't do a darn ol' thing for me. It's one of those drugs that you start out with a low dosage and have to build up so it can take a long time (weeks) to truly gain any benefit from it.

My leg/foot/ankle is numb like you mention. I've had it before with a previous back surgery. Don't be surprised if it takes a couple years to come around.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
(male)

larry2210 HB User

stpats angel, did the injections do anything for you . i also have thoracic herniations. di you also take mri,sepp or emgS

thank larry

[QUOTE=stpatsangel]I was recently put on neurontin also. I am not sure if I have noticed a difference yet because I was also started on methadone and I am receiving epidural steroid injections in to t7-t8. I can let you know when and if I see a difference. Hang in there.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #7

painful cindy HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I did start the pills last night, it made me quite loopy!! Kinda worried about that one. My doc has me taking 1 pill 3 times a day and 3 at night the pills are 100 mil, is that the way for that much of a dosage a day? How long befor being loopy passes? My doc told me I could now drive go back to work as long as its a sit down job so I am just wondering how long befor the loopy feeling stays because I couldnt even begin to drive or work on these pills right now!!

I had surgery on a bulging disc on the same level in 99 I have numb spots in my leg from that surgery but I was under the impression that it would go away with fusion but now my leg is like I said feels like its asleep all the time!!

My ortho never said anything about blood test.... I dont go back until April for my next visit. Is this something my regular doc will do? I havent seen her in forever...

Dealing with my back for 6 years now I feel like I still dont know much on whats going on my ortho is great but he does not go into much detail about stuff.

Thanks to all Cindy

Old 02-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

hi Cindy
I tried it too and I could not do that particular med, I only took it a few days and that was it . I am on Topamax instead, a different med with the same intention. I love it So give it time, but if it does not work remember there are different ones to try. Good luck
shelley

Old 02-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

OMG and I consider Topamax the EVIL DRUG. That stuff made me so violently ill. How long have you been on it Shelley? My doctor told me they use that for weight loss also. I can see why. When I was on it I couldn't eat a thing.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi TX Hunni
I have been on it since November i think, they say memory loss is a side effect....can you tell I am not having the weight loss thing. Isn't it funny how the same drugs totally effect people differently? Because I just could not take the Neurontin and you can, I was feeling totally whacky on that. It just goes to show, how you have to try different things to find what is right for you huh. There are so many new names on the board I can no believe it. I hate that we are all here for the same horrible things but it is good that there is always company LOL
shelley

Old 02-05-2005, 11:57 PM   #11

aackles HB User

Hi Cindy, I have been taking Nuerotin since September. I had a two level spinal fusion and afterwards I had terrible foot pain. My doctor also told me it was my nerves waking up. He put me on Nuerotin and it took about 3 weeks to really start working. I am now up to 1800 mg a day and it works great for me. I am recieving the ESI shots too, but they have yet to work. I did actually try and come off Nuerotin and once I got down to 1200 mg the pain came back so I went back to 1800mg. If I wasn't on it I would never be able to handle the pain. The only side effect I have had is it makes me very very hungry. Good luck... Angela

Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 AM   #12

humptydumpty HB User

Hi Cindy,
I take neurontin for nerve pain. I have a herniated thoracic disc along with DDD and arthritis. Without the neurontin I can't hardly stand the burning pain between my shoulder blades. I'm now on methadone for pain and was on oxycontin before that and neither touched this pain. I was a little loopy when I first started taking it but I don't remember how long it lasted. That's my main side effect is the memory thing. I will gladly forget a few things in order to get rid of the pain if that what it takes.
Good luck!
Bruce

Old 02-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #13
(female)

stpatsangel HB User

Larry,
The shots have and still are helping. When I have the first one of each series, I am down and out for a couple of days, but after the first one, the second and third are a breeze. I would highly recommend them.
Hope this helps,
Steph

Old 02-07-2005, 01:37 AM   #14
(female)

stpatsangel HB User

[QUOTE=humptydumpty]Hi Cindy,
I take neurontin for nerve pain. I have a herniated thoracic disc along with DDD and arthritis. Without the neurontin I can't hardly stand the burning pain between my shoulder blades. I'm now on methadone for pain and was on oxycontin before that and neither touched this pain. I was a little loopy when I first started taking it but I don't remember how long it lasted. That's my main side effect is the memory thing. I will gladly forget a few things in order to get rid of the pain if that what it takes.
Good luck!
Bruce[/QUOTE]
Humpty,
Did the methadone make you sleepy? I have been on it and neurontin for a week now and I am still getting very sleepy. I have taken so much different meds that it has surprised me that this affects me like this?

Old 02-07-2005, 06:47 AM   #15
(male)

larry2210 HB User

thanks. are there different type of shots they do? i am trying to understand this and still get confused as i am only in this stats for 6 months. and have you heard anyone having succesful thoracic surgery?

regards
larry

[QUOTE=stpatsangel]Larry,
The shots have and still are helping. When I have the first one of each series, I am down and out for a couple of days, but after the first one, the second and third are a breeze. I would highly recommend them.
Hope this helps,
Steph[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread