It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Valium and other meds

Okay, so I am taking maybe three or four percs a day now, usually one or two in the am and one at night (7.5/325). I have requested a refill and will probably see my dr soon since I will not be under his care after March 1. My question actually has to do with valium. I have read that many of you here take that with your meds. Well, lately I am getting very very anxious like at night, but not mentally, physically. I feel like I need to run a marathon. I can't get comfy. I don't HURT so much, though I am uncomfortable. I can't RELAX. I get this way in the car too. I have to fly to MO March 1 and it is a three hour flight. I know people say to walk, but if you have ever really been on a plane, you'll know you can't just get up and walk when you want. Usually, the seatbelt sign is on for a while and as soon as it is off, the attendants are up and down with refreshments. Then there might be a few mins, then they are back and before you know it the sign is on again and you are getting ready to land. I know I am going to hurt. I know I will get anxious and antsy. I guess, I am wondering if I should ask for some valium, something to take either WITH or without my pain meds, as I don't always need them, but I still get this way. I am currently on antianxiety meds and don't feel it is the same-meaning the anxiety I feel for my zoloft isn't the same kind I feel for my request for valium. Also, I think it will help relax me A LOT for this flight, and the two hour ride home from the airport. What do you all think? I have Flexeril and Soma, neither do much for me. I do take the Flexeril at bedtime but it doesn't do a darn thing, I think I am conditioned!
So, would appreciate your feedback. Should I ask my dr for some?
THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #2

beebauser HB User
Re: Valium and other meds

your best bet is to talk to the dr. explain how you feel and how it is different. some drs. dont want to be told a med. I would let him suggest one.
good luck

xanax it works for my axiety. but I dont take it every day, or try not to build up a tollerance to it.
good luck
bee

Old 02-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Mel where have you been?
So do ya'll now have to sell your condo that you just bought? That is so stressful, no wonder you have anxiety. What will you do for follow up care next month? I am worried about that for you
shelley

Old 02-05-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hey Mel,
My doctor suggested giving me a med that includes valium. I didn't take him up on it but the next time I see him I will be getting a script for it. I don't remember what it's called though. I would definitly say that it's a good idea for you to ask for something. You are still recovering from your surgery and not being able to sleep is not going to help you in your recovery. Anything that can help right now, I would do. Good luck. Let me know what you do. Take care. Kristy.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks, my dr doesn't mind when I bring up a med. Heck, I asked for a script for the last fill of percs. No harm in asking. I don't even know IF I will see him before we move.
We had moved in on Sunday and hubby lost job MOnday so our condo is up for sale. There are two realters coming by tomorrow to look at it. We hope we can get it sold before we go, or atleast close to closing. I am trying to find a new dr to see when we move home, I actually asked mine if he knew of any to recommend. I could go back to my Orthosurgeon, the one who did my first back surgery. He didn't have the best bedside manner, but he did a good job. I don't know. I am hoping I will just be able to see mine once more before I go.
So, I will fax the request(oh, xanax does zero for me. I took one the day hubby lost his job((he had one left for flying...)) and it didn't do squat. So, I will just have to wait and see. My dr won't be in the office again til Tuesday.
Thanks for the input!

Old 02-06-2005, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I got that edgy anxious feeling (especially at night) feeling sometimes. It's gone away now but I do remember having it for a couple-few weeks. Seems to me I would take a tylenol, and fall asleep and be fine by morning.

Regarding flying - I have flown a couple times (across the country) since my surgery and yes, you do get antsie to want to walk. I would stand and stretch a little, walk when there was opportunity, and asking for an aisle seat (good luck) helped. If I couldn't get one, I would solicit the help of a flight attendant who would help find someone who could trade. (And I explained why).

Like with a lot of this.. it's mind over matter.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

we already have the aisle middle seats, we pick them when we book our flights. So, that is not a problem. I originally wanted window/middle but then thought about that and thought it might not be the best idea.

Old 02-06-2005, 11:25 PM   #8

humptydumpty HB User

Hi Mel
Sorry to hear about your problems. Life sometimes deals us a real !@&!! hand of cards to play. I hope everything works out for you. I used to take Klonipin for the restless leg syndrome I had. It would probably work for this too. You might want to post on the pain mangement board. There are some folks there that are very knowledgeable about meds.
Good Luck!
Bruce

Old 02-07-2005, 12:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Hi,

I think you should definitely ask your Dr. If your surgeon does not accomadate you ~ ask your primary. I too suffer with pretty severe anxiety. I think all of us here do to some extent. My pain mgmnt Dr has me on elavil at bedtime. This not only helps with depression, anxiety AND chronic pain but really helps your mind shut down and your body relax thus allowing for a restful night's sleep. I am also on xanax from my primary doc specifically for the anxiety. Those of you who have this KNOW how scary a "Full Blown Panic Attack" can be. I have only had one attack in the last few months and that was due totally to my pain level getting out of control. The mind can only handle so much and with what we all deal with on a daily basis - our mind's plate gets pretty full and I think it's only normal to get overwhelmed with it all.

ASK YOUR DR
IF he doesn't listen or help you ~
ASK ANOTHER Dr

Gentle Hugs,
Bionic Witch
Pseudoarthrosis
awaiting fusion redo

Old 02-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

well thankya.
I did send a fax asking about the valium along with a couple of other questions. My pain med script will be ready tomorrow so when they call I will ask if the dr got the one regarding the valium. We shall see. Yes though, if he doesn't want to, then I will ask my primary.
Things are going okay though, I am not taking pain meds hardly near what I was just a week ago. I take two a day now, with tylenol in between. So, that is cool. Could be why I am getting anxious too. I don't know.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

my dr gave me a script for valium and percs. He is just a good dr. Doesn't mind me asking for stuff which makes things so much easier. Now we just gotta get through the move and find a new one. That makes me sad. BUT, happy that I got the meds

Old 02-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

I am glad that went well for you.
shelley

Closed Thread