It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Pain While Sleeping after Fusion

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm 5 months post-op from fusion/decompression and I just ache terribly when I wake up. As soon as my feet hit the floor, I'm fine. This leads me to believe its all muscle tension, but is anyone else experiencing this after their fusion? It almost feels like I've laid horizontal too long - just an achiness. None of my exercises I do makes it better - the only thing that helps is getting up. Then I have zero pain at all.
This is all well and good, except when I wake with it at 3 or 4 am, I don't really care to be getting up at that point. Ya know?

Hope someone can relate...I'd like to know what you do for it. I've tried muscle relaxers (wears off in 4 hours) valium (don't need help getting to sleep and they wear off too). I've even tried 8 hour tylenol.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: Pain While Sleeping after Fusion

When my back feels uncomfortable I put my brace on for a while. At almost eight months I still sometimes sleep in it. It feels so good when I take it off.
fly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 06:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I never had to have a brace, but you know.. that's what it kinda feels like. It feels like I twisted in my sleep or slept in one position too long or in the wrong position too long.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi I have never had a brace either, and I can not remember the last time I slept all night, but mine is from a variety of stuff. Have you tried doing your exercises and stretches and junk before bed? maybe that might help. Has it been this way the whole time?
shelley

Old 02-07-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I've tried the exercises before bed. It doesn't work It's been this way for at least 3 of the 5 month recovery. The first two months I don't remember too well HA.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
(female)

tanamodessi HB User

HUNNI, I can relate, I don't remember what it is like to sleep in anymore. Once I'm up the pain eases. I tried sleeping pills but that made it worse because I slept so sound that I was really stiff and sore when I did finally wake. ~~~DEBBIE~~~

Old 02-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
(female)

nycgirl25 HB User

Hi Hunni

You and I had the same type of surgery 3 days apast ( mine was on the 7th yours on the 10th i believe) I also feel the achiness in the morning, and what helps me is to do my stretches that I have learned in PT as well some of the leg exercises that i have been taught, sometime i have my boyfriend just massage the area and then i lay on the heating pad for a few minutes, afterwards i feel just fine,I have brought this up to my Phisical therapist and to my rehab doctor and they both say that its because of the inactivity in the body during sleep your muscles just naturally tense up, they both have said to just get up and strech it out or just move around and get the muscles moving again. Hope that this helps
Anne

Old 02-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Gee Anne.. thanks ... so you're saying some night-time bed activity will help? (grin)
Did they say how long something like that can go on. I would think by 5 months my muscles would no longer be confused.
Your reply helped tons... thank you.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #9
(female)

nycgirl25 HB User

Hunni,

well i guess it depends on your defenitition of nighttime activity ;-)
but i told them the same thing that i thought that at 5 months this would be over and the Dr. said that some of her fusion patients experience these side effects for up to a year post op, can you believe.

I still sleep with a pillow in between my legs because i think it helps quiet a bit

Anne

Old 02-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

You're much farther out from surgery than I am (I had a 2 level fusion 5 weeks ago), but I've been having some of the same problems as you are. I've found that it helps if I sleep with a pillow between my knees (I'm a side sleeper) and if I change positions frequently. I kind of half wake up several times during the night, just enough to know I have to change positions, and then fall right back to sleep as soon as I move around in bed a little bit. I also started sleeping with a cervical pillow again, which helps keep your entire spine in a better position.

Jessie

Old 02-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

The pillow between the knees IS a great idea..if I could get it to stay there. In my sleep the pillow ends up everywhere BUT between the knees. And I don't wake up... until the pain is such that it wakes me up, then I'm up for the night. Thank goodness for satellite TV.. there's always something on. HA

Old 02-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I picked up a set of those straps to carry books with. They have velcro on and you can adjust them. Of course if you get out of bed fast you'll break your neck.
fly

Closed Thread