It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
(male)

Jayk HB User
Unhappy New Member Please advise>>>

Hi all....Why I havent thought of joining a forum like this before I dont know?
This site looks well cool...
I have suffered back pain for over 5 years and its taken this long to get taken seriously
I recently had an Mri scan that shows one my lower vertabre is almost touching the other, with the disc worn down and slightly pushed out.
Unfortunatly im in the U.K and am on Nhs,which means waiting time of up to 9months for I get a glance at a possible operation.
Can anyone advise on the reccommended options I have to help or even cure this ongoing agony
My Pain is like Severe tooth ache in the bottom of my spine and feels like I need the gap wedged opened again between my vertabre to relieve it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: New Member Please advise>>>

Welcome to the board.....
Not sure what to tell you on how to get relief. Many of us here couldn't find relief, which is why we resorted to surgery.

Some recommendations is to do some physical therapy if you can stand it, water therapy helped me a little...at least took some pressure off. Use heat to keep the muscles loosened. And whatever pain meds you can manage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
(male)

Jayk HB User
Smile Re: New Member Please advise>>>

Thanks
No I mean Surgery
Is Fusion or replacement cartlidge reccomended for my complaint?
I just want some insight,so eventually when I do get my appointment,ive done some homework.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi and welcome.
This is a pretty cool group of people just take a peek

anyway
if it is caused by DDD, then maybe the artificial disc replacement would be recommended. You'll find we are all full of advice here. Have you seen a surgeon an got a opinion yet. That is where you need to start. Do all your research and resort to surgery as the last and only last option.
Again welcome.

shelley

Old 02-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Newbackguy HB User

Welcome to the board,

This is my opinion. The answer is get an ProDisc ADR. Bone on bone can only be cured by restore the disc height.

In the U.S. we mask our symptoms with pain meds, and physical therapy. We are brain washed to think back surgery is evil. This comes from our doctors. Years ago, back surgery had a low success rate, and techniques were very invasive. Today, disectomy has a one percent, long term success rate. After two years most patients have recurring problems due to the surgical scar tissue (myself included). The fusion is far better than it was, but less than 72% successful. Also, the fusion creates 10 % more stress per level of fusion on the disc above the fusion. It usually causes a new herniation, and more surgery.

In Europe, they treat the problem with a solution. The ADR has been used with great results (93.7 %) for 17 years. They know that unless you restore the disc height further complications will occur (myself included).

As a host for three ProDisc ADRs, let me say. I have my life back again. It was four hours of surgery, and was performed though a four inch incision from my navel down. No back incisions, and all my organs stayed inside during the surgery. I was working out 4 1/2 weeks post op, with full range of motion.

I hope you, and eveyone suffering with back problems find relief as I have.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Are you a medical professional newbackguy?

I think it's great that you're sharing your experience...and I'm sure Jay will surely look into it, but don't give false hopes. Not everyone is a candidate for the ADR - even if they are bone on bone. I wasn't.

The best advise is to talk over the options with their trusted doctor.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-09-2005 at 04:48 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules

Old 02-08-2005, 02:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Newbackguy HB User

Please let me explain.

You are correct, not all are candidates for the ADR. If your facets are damaged, or you have other problems, it can prevent you from an ADR. I was just trying to explain the options, and the success percentages. Also, our new member is from the U.K. The U.K. and Europe have a different approach, and are not held up by FDA approvals.

I was also told by eight Dr.s to avoid surgery. One Dr. even said " don't have surgery until your leg is dragging, and you are wetting your pants." I had a L5 herniation, and a discectomy in 1992. Within 2 years the problems returned due to surgical scar tissue. All 8 Dr.s said it was normal, and it happened in most cases. I avoided a fusion as advised for 12 years. In the proccess L3, L4. and C5 herniated due to loss of disc height at L5. After a fusion at C5-6, and three ADR's in my lumbar, I am pain free, but have no feeling on the bottom of my rt. foot, and bladder sensation loss. This is due to avoiding surgery for so long, the nerves finally died.

I agree that everyone should see a trusted Dr, but also one that performs all types of back surgery. Including Discectomy, Fusions, and ADRs. Also, disc height is something to keep a constant eye on. It will not restore itself, and bone on bone will cause more problems. All the pain medication in the world won't solve the problem, and someday you may have kick a drug habit on top of things.

I hope this clears this up. I didn't mean to upset anyone, but I also don't want to sugar coat a serious problem.

No, I am not a medical expert. I was a Professional Fire Fighter for 17 years, and now disabled due to a building collapse. I have spent 12 years researching all possible solutions, so I wouldn't have to retire.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
(male)

Jayk HB User

Thanks
Wots DDD

Old 02-09-2005, 04:38 AM   #9
(male)

Jayk HB User

You advide is very much welcomed,it appears you are very knowledged in this field and I need advise like this.
How I take it is just knowledge
and
Knowledge is Power!
So thanks NewbackGuy
Jay

Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Wasn't knocking the knowledge, advice, or even what you've been through Newback.

I just know a lot of people (here in the states) are hanging on to hope for the ADR and it isn't even an option for everyone, yet that message doesn't come through as loudly as the message of the miracle cure it's providing.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Newbackguy HB User

I hope any info. I give helps someone. I understand how difficult it is to wait, and wonder about the ADR approval. My case was cut and dry. I could fly to Vienna, have three ProDiscs, or have a 360 degree fusion in the U.S. My facets were wearing quickly and the window for ADR was going to close very soon. The fusion out come was not positive due to L2-3 bulging. I would end up with another surgery. The cost for everything was $39,000 U.S. It's alot of money, but I'm 39 years old, and hopefully will live at least another 39 years. Then, it's only a thousand dollars a year. Fortunately I was able to use some equity in my home.

Also, the C5-6 fusion I had was part of the Cervical ProDisc Clinicals. I lost the lottery, and got a fusion instead. I would do it again if it helped allow someone in the future have the option of a Cervical ProDisc.

DDD= Degen. Disc Diasease. Jay.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
(male)

Jayk HB User

What is the fluid that surrounds your spine?
Is it called Sinoval fluid?
What causes it to decrease?
Can it be replaced?
Thanks again

Old 02-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #13
(male)

Jayk HB User

At last got a appoinment with the Consultant who carries out surgery next week
So have to see what He says I guess,back from my recent readings it appears Disc Replacement has my Favour over Fusion,for my complaint

Old 02-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #14
(female)

aikidoka96 HB User

Jayk,
Hi. I do know that the fluid that surrounds the spinal cord is called cerebral spinal fluid. Synovial fluid is found in joints. Certain neurological conditions can cause a decrease in the amount of fluid. I hope that this helps.

Marianne

Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
(male)

Jayk HB User

Yes thanks..
Ive been told I have a lesser amount than normal,can this be replaced?

Closed Thread