It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
HOW do you stand it day to day????

The thoracic & cervical pain???? I'm at my wits end. I have good days, well not good, but fair days, but the days when the pain is bad, especially by nite time, I end up crying & feelilng like giving up.

Am I alone or does anyone else feel this hopeless?????????????

I quit the ultracet, it messes with your head, makes you spacey & dependant!!!
I am taking extra strength tylenol & wine!!!

My husband is sick of all this, I'm sure & so am I.....

Old 02-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: HOW do you stand it day to day????

I don't know how I made it through. Guess by knowing ONE issue would get taken care of atleast, and that was my back. If there was nothing that I could have done, I just really don't know. I know just how you feel though-mine is cervical, though it does start mid back, but goes all the way up...I hope you get some relief soon. Nothing really helps in the meantime. Though, for a while the injection worked. I wish you the best and hope you are pain free or as close as you can be soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
(female)

misery HB User

No matter how we handle our pain or what we try or what meds we take it boils down to hope and getting through each and every day!!!Sometimes we cry sometimes we give up hope for a little while and some days we come on the boards and vent!!If you have to you cry scream till shake the ceiling.But it still comes down to your very owne mind set!I think most would agree with me I've been dealing with mine for over 20 yrs,and it is still day by day!!Best wishes Heather

Old 02-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
We are all in the same boat I think. It's a terrible situation but just remember it could be a lot worse. As bad and tough as it is for us, it's a whole lot worse for others. That's what helps me through my days. DOn't get me wrong, I have days where I just want to give up and I get to the point where I don't understand why I have to go through this and how it's ever going to get better. But it has to. The important thing to remember is to stay as positive as you can. THat will be what helps you get through your long and painfull days. There has to be a turning point at some time so just work at it and don't give up. Take care and good luck with all. Kristy.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

I get my hopes up, only to have pain again. It's very difficult to keep a positive attitude, I'm home alone all day, then my poor husband has to hear it when he gets home...

Some days I can't even sit up, I have to lay all day. It's just gone on too long & I am losing hope.

Mel, mine is from mid back to the neck also. The pain varies from mid back, to upper arms, armpit area, down the arms, shoulders, all over in that area.

This is my 10 mins on here, now must get off again. Thanks for all the replies, I just feel like such a cry baby, have been thru leg pain from herniated disc in my back, but that was nothing like this!!!

Old 02-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
(male)

thekeith HB User

just a semi related thought

I too have horrible pain on a day to day basis and I have been getting drunk to cut it a bit

people have actually remarked, "wow you seem happier when you have a few drinks"
and I explain, its because it cuts the pain down a little

BUT BUT BUT

there is a catch and i just "caught it"
yes, when i would become intoxicated i would feel better
But the next day I was back in pain

and just recently I decided to give "drinking a break"
well the after 2 days i started to feel a bit better,.....not "normal" by any means, but what i learned was, that since I was drinking so frequently that I would then feel anxious and my back would hurt worse..
i thought this was the booze wearing off
but what it is/was is a yearning for alcohol, resulting in anxiety resulting in more back pain.

as in, when you are stressed your back hurts more, well alcohol is a depressent, and being depressed causes increased back pain
and being an alcoholic (maybe) can make "needed a drink" also more painful

get it?
sorry its a bit disjointed.
but the bottom line is, drinking doesnt halp as much as NOT needing a drink
for me at least

but its a toss up, when I am intoxicated I feel pretty good..
its a give n take
KJ

Old 02-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #7

humptydumpty HB User

Sorry your having one of THOSE days.
I've had my share too and most likely will have a few more.
What kind of meds have you tried? I came across methadone because I was on oxycontion, lost my insurance, and couldn't afford it anymore. My PM doc said methadone was a good pain reliever and is very economical. So I gave it a try. The oxy had me watching the clock in misery waiting for the next dose. With the methadone, I don't get that feeling. I don't get a "drugged" feeling either. I take it with the neurontin and it by no means takes care of all the pain, but at least I stay pretty well sane and can function as best I can.
I don't know about you but I'm so glad I found this board. I know what you mean about your husband. My wife comes home from work and depending on how her day was is dependant on how my ends. I thank GOD for her and for sticking by me "in sickness and in health". But, they don't understand what it's like to be in pain 24/7. It hurts. And it messes with your mind too!
I'm up at 2:19am my time because I hurt and my legs are cramping so bad I can't sleep.
But, as my wife tells me and I am beginning to believe, it could be worse!
Good luck Lori, and let us know how it goes,
Bruce

Old 02-09-2005, 01:51 AM   #8
(male)

rachelmc HB User

Hi lori ,
I totally relate , I have found that my pain seems to deaden with a few drinks BUT it is still there next day and a couple of times i have been tempted to have a drink at completly improper times just to get a bit of relief , but then i think about my kids and if somthing were to happen to one of them and i wasnt able to help them so i grin and bare it.
My husband also cops it when he gets home from work and then i feel bad and ask why he puts up with it and he says hes here for the duration.
Sure he gets angry as well but i think a lot of it is aimed at how unfair things have turned out for all of us.
Have you got a support network around you? I have my little sister who is here for me through thick and thin ( I often wonder why when i think of all the crap i put her through growing up) .
Whenever you hit a low point come on here and vent i check this board throughout the day (I dont know where you are your day is probably my night) however i will be here for you .
Rachel

Old 02-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
(male)

Willis Earl HB User
Cool Re: HOW do you stand it day to day????

Wow Lori-

The thoracic & cervical pain???? I'm at my wits end. I have good days, well not good, but fair days, but the days when the pain is bad, especially by nite time, I end up crying & feelilng like giving up.

Am I alone or does anyone else feel this hopeless?????????????

I quit the ultracet, it messes with your head, makes you spacey & dependant!!!
I am taking extra strength tylenol & wine!!!

You sound like my twin... Everything you said is or was me.. lets see for the last 3 days it was real bad -knife stabbing like deep muscle pulled -feeling type pain-underneath my right shoulder blade-this time continuing up thru my shoulder to neck--if you turn to the left at all- my whole right side in about a basket ball size area of severe pain- then spasms too--So we end up overcompensating untill it eazes up-which mine has today thank goodness..
J ust had my lumbar hardware taken out - that feels better but everything elsewhere has freaked out bad --oh yeah had cervical surgery a while back chasing the demon that is my pain. So 4 surgerys later I think I'm finding out on my own mostly from here -and the people who have mri's on thorasic that it probally is the Thorasic -which is what i was complaining to the docs about 10 years ago--
T he exact spot that hurts so bad now....I did not do any meds the last several years untill this last surgery and he gave me percocet and worked a little then went away.Then last week this doc sez good luck and see ya...I did Take one oxy last week and it did feel much better..but I was rock and roll forever and gave up drinkin 11 years ago and drugs and that = addict---so that oxy felt real good which freaks me out and confuses me about pain and addicttion..
When I drank I thought I was a Stunt Man. Probally whats wrong with the back--huh?

Oh well --I'm not a preacher of all that by any means but with this kind of pain stuff drinkin can be evil....and put ya in a hole in a justifing groove..ahh I will shut up now...lol

So far my secret weapon to keep going is I have 2 kids under 6----and I am O.M. and run co. from my home on the phone mostly and can pace myself of walking and short stints laying down...which that has gotten the worse latley--sleeping hurts real bad.....

Hang in Lori--were all here---Willis

The ultacets did the same to me and was why i got off meds for severeral years.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:55 AM   #10

JWHIT HB User

Happy Wednesday Lori ,
I am so sorry you are in so much pain! It is a day to day process for us back/neck sufferers. I am 3 mos. post op and my mind is so much further long than my back and legs. I still hurt everyday, some days alot worse! I use to watch people bend over to pick up there child or just something off the floor and be so envious. It really would change my mood, to see people move so freely. How terrible was that! God Bless them and hope they never have to live in pain. But this time around my mind is so much healthier. It is already swimming and running and playing soccer with my girls. I just need to be patient and let my body catch up! Be good to yourself and try and muster up as much positive energy as you can. I hope you have a happy day Take Care!
Jean

Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Thanks Heather, I am on here right now because I am so down. It hurts me to be on here, but other than pacing the floor & watching tv, I'm pretty limited with the pain.

Went back to the ultracet today, couldn't stand the pain anymore.

I appreciate all your suggestions & Yes I've tried them all, but I do appreciate you're time & trying to help me.

Are you confined to home basically with your pain? I am. If I do little things like dusting or do up a few dishes, I pay for it dearly. It gets so boring not being able to do the things I normally do. Once in a while hubby tries to take me out to eat or to a store, but I don't last long & pay for it when I get home.

How long has yours gone on for?

Old 02-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

[COLOR=Indigo]hey lori, i am confined at home to . the computer is the best thing that has happened to me though because i dicovered this site. today i woke up and got my son ready for school and went back to sleep since my daughter was thank gosh still asleep. anyway when i woke up my mid back shoulders neck were in pain. also my pain mangt doc said to try and back off the effexor. 2 wks later i am feeling the effects of it and it su**s. not only am i in pain but depressed and feelling like cr**. all i want to do is cry. its like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. i also feel really bad because my son wil be returning from school shortly and i was unable to do anything around the house. i hate these slumps and flare ups. i am right there with you. please keep in touch and know you've gotta a friend. robin(girl75)[/COLOR]

Old 02-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Spauldhr HB User

Hey Lori,

Mine has been severe for about four years although I think I first injured my back when I was around 10 on a trampoline. I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and I think that contributes to my back problems. Along with my spinal herniations I also have herniated my stomach twice.

My ribs ached and clicked for four years though. My back would go out and I'd be bed ridden for a few days, put on drugs, and then I'd be able to at least function again. No one did an MRI until last year. I was starting to have a limp and I was becoming incontinent. The worst was that I couldn't sleep. I would ache and ache everytime I layed down and I had this annoying type of pain in my ribs. I kept getting costal-chondritis as well. I would hit my ribs to try and get rid of the achey feeling and my mom thought I had obsessive compulsive disorder!

Once the MRI showed that T5-T10 is, for lack of a better description, all jacked up, things moved pretty quickly. I had and still have positive babinsky tests and all sorts of neurologic problems. But they operated on T9-T10. It was 7cm herniated and seriously compressing my spinal column. They took bone from my hip and fused it. T6,T7 and T8 are all 4-5cm herniated. The rest are degenerated.

I have a hard time going to class. I'm not bed ridden but I cant exercise or strain at all and I rely on pain meds to keep me going. I take ultracet, two of them four times a day and darvocet when I need it. Its hard to concentrate and study. I have many other health issues too, and its hard to sort through everything.

So thats my story. I know what you're going through though, and I hope and pray that it gets better.

Kind Regards,
Heather

Last edited by Spauldhr; 02-10-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #14

toelle HB User

Hello Lori j: I know how you feel. On my good days when the pain is bearable I am so happy; then along comes a couple bad days and by the end of the day I'm in tears. I just try to remind myself that it will get better again. I live in Florida so we have a lot of changable weather. Every time a new front comes through I go through bad pain, burning pain in my butt and down my leg. On those days even the Lortabs dont do much. I just try to grit my teeth and get through it somehow. It helps me to go on this website and know that there are others who understand my pain. I find it hard not to get down. It seems the pain and the lowered feelings go hand in hand. Toelle
Microdisectomy on L 3; on 3/2/04 and failed electronic stimulator on 2/12/04. Hang in there and know that we all understand your pain.

Last edited by toelle; 02-10-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Lori
As you can see you are NOT alone I wonder each day how I made it through work, but I have got to keep that insurance plan. I am sooo sorry that you are feeling so down right now. CPain is a horrible thing..I do not see to many back sufferers emerge into normalcy like they were before. I can not remember those days, and that is sad at 30 something, I have been doing this since 22. I know how disappointing it is to wake up each day hoping for a new tomorrow, and it seems light years away. At times it seems like well with 4 lumbar surgeries and my cervical neck issue is so bad now that both arms are aching , that I wonder how can one person have such a crappy back And I sometimes wonder if I will still be waiting for a painfree day at 54 then 64 , then soon enough it has been 40 years instead of 12. So we all come here with a history that no one would dare to wish on there worst enemy, and we hope that we can find comfort ,laughter, or some sort of relief with others who live their lives like we do.

Good luck to you my cyber friend , I will send you a special thought and prayer your way and hope that you can get a break atleast to catch your breath. Keep posting and come back here when you know we are all here to support you and each other.
shelley

Closed Thread