It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
(male)

rachelmc HB User
Question Morphine???? Good Or Bad????

Hi all,
Im interested to know what everyone thinks of morphine? I have to go back to the dr next week to go on it but im not sure if i want to. Im scared it will deaden the pain(not that thats a bad thing )
BUt im scared of it feeling so good i will get addicted to them and that will add to my problems.
any feedback much appreciated
thanks rachel

Old 02-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Re: Morphine???? Good Or Bad????

Hi!
I just got home yesterday from my Spinal Fusion, all I can tell you is what it did to me.
It did not help with the pain, all I did on it was halucinate, I would see a blue wall and then my brain would switch channels and I would see it as water and a boat going to fast and crashing, expoding, whathave ya. I tried to think of something nice, like my Granchilren at the beach and then would halucinate with everything I tried to think about. I had severe insomnia so I could not change the way my brain was acting. I was only on 15mg-30mg a day.
It made me angry and hateful.
I am waiting on a call from my Surgeon to change my meds. My Visting Nurse said that is a bad sign and it doesn't happen to everyone, but it did to me.
Stardust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I was on a morphine PCA pump for a couple of days after my fusion, and it worked pretty well for me. They did have to give me some extra sometimes for breakthrough pain, but overall I was pretty happy with it. I think it made me a little foggy (don't remember much about the first day or two after surgery), but I was able to walk, carry on conversations, etc. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Stardust,

You and I seem to react the same to this. I was given 15mg and nothing, no pain relief, only side effects. I could not sleep and it constipated me. It tweaked my world. There I lay in pain, and hallucinating.

My husband mentioned to the doctor that it was not working when he went in on an unrelated matter. The doctor gave him a script for 30mg to give to me. Again, no pain relief, insomnia, and hallucinations, only worse.

I had a spare day last week and was really in pain. I took one of the 15s and one of the 30s and was pain free. But, I was whacked. I still could not sleep and the hallucinations were worse than ever, but I was pain free for a couple of hours. Not something that I want to repeat, no matter how bad the pain is.

take care,

Old 02-10-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
(male)

rachelmc HB User

hi,
so i guess what everyone is saying is that the side effects are not worth the pain?
I did have a morphine pump when i had my op with no effects but maybe that was luck and not worth trying again especially with 3 young kids to take care ot.
thanks rachel

Old 02-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Ya, That would be the idea. I would definatly NOT use it if I had Children to take care of too, It's hard enough taking care of ourselves.
My Doc just called in something else and in a higher dose. Your right Betty, and it's so horrible. I had also tried it at a 15mg and a 30mg , I think I need a body shop cause that stuff gave me **** for brains! HA
The Haluciations were so horrible, I plan to watch the little guys go down the garbage disposal kicking and screaming
Stardust

Old 02-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
(female)

cincosunflower HB User

I just had spinal op and morhphine drip for firest 24hrs afterwards - think it helped with the pain but it made me very tearful - i couldn't stop crying for about the first 4 days and I did't even know why I was crying! - and I couldn't sleep at all despite being desparately tired - no hallucinations though - as far as a I remember anyway!

Old 02-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

I used morphine (mscontin) with excellent results. Start with a low dose so as not to be ultra-spacey and take your first one when your hubby is home with you, like on Fri. night...and through the weekend. Like any narcotic your body is going to react to it and everyone reacts differently. One drug might work well for one person and not another. You can't predict.

Good luck.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 02-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Rachel
What other things have you tried? I think it may be hard to care for your kids while taking morphine I have 3 kids and alot of pain too Let me know how it turns out.

shelley

Old 02-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
(female)

misery HB User

Hi, had to throw my 2 cents in I take 90mgs.of moroh a day I also have 4 girls. The morph takes the edge off the pain.Not a lot but some.I didn't start out that high but it has been built up.I never halluciated and I'm not fuzzy.Like the other poster stated everyone reacts diff.So all you can do is try and see,and remember you have to make your owne dec.you will not have the exact same experaince as someone eles.

Closed Thread