It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
(female)

NewLeaf HB User
Laminectomy/Diskectomy surgery in 3 weeks

I would like to hear from someone who has had this surgery. It will be on my L4-5. Thank you.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Laminectomy/Diskectomy surgery in 3 weeks

Hi Newleaf,

I had this procedure done @ L4, L5, S1 IN 2001.

I did very well, worst memory I have from immediately after surgery was quite a bit of nausea - which is totally normal and does NOT always happen

I was only in the hospital 2 days and was walking in my hosp room the night of surgery

Recovery at home was slow but not too awfully bad ~ do you have family at home that will be there to love & spoil you when you come home?

Best of luck to you ~
and don't worry!
you'll do fine!!

Bionic Witch
Pseudoarthrosis
awaiting fusion redo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 04:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Newleaf!

I had this surgery in July of 04 on L4-5, L5-S1. Unfortunatley for me the surgery has not helped, but I have other complications suck as ddd on top of the herniations.
At any rate, the surgery went well. For me, there was minimum pain, which only lasted for two to three days.
I wish you luck!
Keep us posted, and if you have any other ?'s just ask!
~M~

Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

The surgery didn't help me either. I never really got any relief from it. My new surgeon (14 months later) told me that the first surgeon didn't do a thorough enough job and that I should have had the fusion in the first place.

Everyone is different. Perhaps it will be the fix you need.

To avoid the nausea after you wake up from anesthesia, ask the anesthesiologist to up the anti-nausea drug they put in with the mix. It helped me.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I had that surgery in March 2004 on L4-L5. It worked really well for me; unfortunately I reinjured it 3 weeks later. It had nothing to do with the surgery though. I was released from the hospital the same day. I got out of surgery around 5 pm and they kicked me out around 7 pm. I was only on painkillers for a couple of days if I remember correctly. I hope everything goes well for you!

Jessie

Old 02-10-2005, 06:51 AM   #6
(male)

evobagger HB User

hi newleaf, im 17 days post op from a left and right side lami and micro d. i went home 4 hours after the surgery. i did not have to take any pain killers i am walking a mile + a day and driving. i have been working with no problems. i wish you luck with this. steve

Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I had a laminectomy (without fusion) at L4/5 in December 2004. I was able to leave the hospital the next day. My incision was about 2 inches long, so I'm assuming the neurosurgeon may have used a scope for the procedure.

All of the "sciatic"-type pain going down my left leg preventing me from walking very much was totally eliminated. I did have some soreness at the incision site, which I treated with pain killers and muscle relaxants. I moved to OTC pain relievers a week after surgery.

I returned to work 3.5 weeks after surgery ( no heavy lifting ), and was able to drive about a week after surgery (skip your painkiller if you drive).

Overall, my laminectomy (w/o fusion) was a great success.

whackedback

Old 02-10-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

Thanks for all the reply's . I have herniated Disk at L-5,4,3,2,1 and S1 but have the nerve problem in my left leg from the L5-4. They do put you to sleep don't they? Everyone seem to go home in a few hours. I have had 2 Epiduaral injections , neither worked. I have had chiro, physical therapy for 4 months... so I do hope that this will help my leg pain , the neurosurgeon did not want to talk about any kind of fusion at this time... so with this many herniated disk what would the chances of them all healing and not needing any fusions that the doctor talked about. I go in the 22nd for another visit and preadmission test. Thanks for all the answers. It takes a lot of pain medication to really keep my pain away so that is why I hope that I will be asleep for the surgery.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

I do have a question on my papers from Wc that I got it has Laminotomy,disc excision,1 interspace,lumbar, uni/bilat. Laminectomy/Diskectomy of L4-5 . Anyone know what all that means.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

Jessie1, you said that you reinjured your surgery? and you went in at 5pm and home at 7pm the same day. So what did they do to fix the 2nd injury?

Old 02-12-2005, 06:56 PM   #11
(male)

KCall HB User

NewLeaf,

Don't worry, you'll be out. I had the same at L5-S1. Minimal post op pain. Went home the next day. Unfortunatly I developed scar tissue around the nerve root. The leg pain was gone for 6 weeks but came back with a vengence. It happens, but not often.
Good Luck,
Kevin

Old 02-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

Thanks Kevin, I am so glad that we have a place were we can question, vent, and share our back problems. I am new to this as I have never had back problems, It dictates your whole day, whole life. Leaf

Old 02-13-2005, 05:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

NewLeaf, I actually got out of surgery at 5 pm and went home at 7 pm. I think I went into surgery around 2:30-3:00. The discectomy isn't that long of a surgery (at least it wasn't for me).

The surgery I had done to correct the re-injury was a 2 level fusion of L4-L5-S1. I have 6 screws, 2 rods, cages, cadaver bone, and BMP. I am now almost 6 weeks out from that, and I am so glad that I did it. I am totally pain free, unless I overdo something (which I have a tendency to do). The reinjury happened in a car accident 3 weeks after the first surgery, and I don't think it would have been as bad if my back hadn't been weak from the surgery. So learn from me- pay attention when they tell you not to drive/ride in a car!!!

Old 02-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #14
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

Thanks for the reply. I just hope that it will correct my pinched nerve in my leg so that I can get back to walking and try to heal the other disc without having to do any additional surgery. My husband and I had started a walking program and I had gone down from a pant size of 26 to a 16 in 7 months when I fell at my job due to a vendors leaving lubricate on the floor when he oiled his machines. So it has been a year since the initial fall and was not diagnoised till July of 2004 when I had a MRI done when I insisted to my GP that "something was wrong " and that just taking the meds was not enough. Thanks again. NewLeaf

Old 02-13-2005, 06:47 AM   #15

vickic HB User

I had a microdiscectomy with partial laminectomy on my l4/l5 disk about 4 1/2 months ago. I also have a buldge a l5/s1 which I am hoping will heal on its own. My surgery was about 3 hours long. I was allowed to go home that afternoon, but I opted to stay in the hospital for one night. My entire back was in extreme pain that night and the following day. I was taking codeine every 3 hours and was still in horrible pain. However, 4 days after surgery I was only taking pain meds at night. I was amazed at how quickly the pain faded. I literally could feel the difference each day. Also, my leg and butt pain were magically gone. I do still have numb areas of my leg and foot which I am hoping will someday return to normal. I stayed home from work for 5 weeks. I am a teacher. I would have returned sooner, but I have about an hour and a half commute to work. I have not missed a day of work due to pain since I returned over 3 months ago. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread