It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
(male)

2young4backprob HB User
Exclamation Too young for surgery?

I am 15 and started having back pain when i was 14, my doctor put me off activities for 3 months, he said i had spondilolisthesis. after the 3 months He told me I was alright because I didnt have any pain. I went back to playing basketball and about a week into it i started feeling pain again. I went back to my doctor and he told me that i should wear a back brace and a bone stimulator. The bone stimulator didnt work and my back isnt healing the fracture, when i went back to my doctor he said that I have a degenerated disc and that I will probably need a fushion... do you think I am too young for a fushion?

Last edited by 2young4backprob; 02-10-2005 at 04:00 PM.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User
Re: Too young for surgery?

My daughter is also 15 and has spondylolisthesis. She found this out at the age of 11. She started having problems 18 months ago. She does not have a fracture, just a grade II slip. She goes for an MRI on Monday so we'll see if there are any other problems then.

Just like your doctor put you on three months of rest, so did her doctor. That didn't help so he put her through three months of physical therapy and she then continued working out at the Y throughout the summer, but was still on very restricted activity. She followed the dr. orders pretty well, except one time each weekend she would go water skiing. Her doctor was not crazy about that at all.

Her doctor first mentioned surgery to her last June. At the end of September she began wearing the brace. She wore that for three months, but the back and hamstring pain has continued daily. She just finished six weeks of physical therapy to strengthen her core muscles.

We went to see her doctor and he also has suggested a spinal fusion. He has tried non-surgical treatments for 18 months to no avail. We are hoping she will have the surgery in June and have the whole summer for recovery. My daughter is also ready to have the surgery because she is hoping to be able to get some of her life back and live a little more like a normal 15 year old again.

Your family may consider getting a second opinion. We consulted with three other doctors last summer and they all were in agreement that fusion should help her.

I know you must be in a lot of pain. My daughter is in soaking in the tub right now to try to ease her pain some. She was so miserable last night that she went to bed at 8:00. Not too many 15 year olds do that!

Good luck. It has been a really hard decision for my daughter and I. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Last edited by caszyman; 02-10-2005 at 04:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread