It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Disc Protrusion treatments example methlprednisolone.

I just found out today that I have a protruded disc in my lower back. I hurt it a week and a half ago and have been in a lot of pain. My doctor gave me something called methlprednisolone. A very strong anti-inflamitory. Has anyone taken this before and is it something that will be a fix for it or once I stop taking it will it swell up again?

Old 02-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Disc Protrusion treatments example methlprednisolone.

There is a protocol that the doctors follow for insurance purposes. They offer PT, ESI's, steroids (which is what he gave you), and if that does not work, they do other things. Surgery is the last option.

Every case is different. The doc is hoping that it is just inflammation. Protruding discs do not always mean it is the source of the pain. They are going to have you jumping hurdles trying to figure out what is wrong.

Steroids have strange side effects. Make sure to pay attention to your moods and if you start feeling anger or impulse control problems, stop and call your doctor. I can't take the oral steorids because they make me lose my temper.

take care and I hope that you find answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

The side effects I have had from the steroids are being sick to my stomach just a couple times and I feel really weak in my legs. It says that is one of the side effects to have muscle weakness. That could also be from laying in bed for two weeks though. I did have an MRI and they said I have a disc protrusion and they can see that it is touching nerves. I am just worried that once I stop taking the steroids it will get worse again. I really hope not because I can get out of bed and walk around now not very far and it does hurt to do so but before the pain was so extreme I could hardly move. That was just 4 days ago.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

One more thing. The steroids I am taking I took 6 the first day then 5 the next day and lower each day. I am down to just two today and one tomorrow. I hope it continues to help after I am done taking it. I am really scared about that.

Closed Thread