It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Question Exam results, finally!

Okay, I've been writing on here with all my symptoms and what I've been through. Well, I've finally got what the hospital has on me, the reports for my MRI and X-ray. I was wondering if anyone here can translate? I know the gist of it but I'd like to know what it means exactly:

MRI Results

The L1-L5 vertebral bodies are visualized in anatomic alignment without evidence of fracture or dislocation. The vertebral body heights and signal characteristics appear within normal limits. There is disk desiccation at the L4-5 level where there is an annular tear and small posterior disk protrusion. There is no significant spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing at this or any of the other visualized levels.

The conus medullaris terminates at L1-2 level, which is within the normal limits.

Incidental note is made of a cystic structure in the left lateral pelvis which is likely the ovary.

Note that there is a transitional vertebra at the lumbosacral junction. It has an enlarged transverse process that appears to have an articulation with the underlying sacrum on the right.

Impression:

Degenerative disk disease at the L4-5 level with a small posterior disk protrusion and annular tear but not significant spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

X-Ray Results

An AP and lateral view were obtained of the lumbar spine. There are five lumbar vertebrae. No compression or deformities are seen. The L5 vertebral segment has undergone partial sacralization. The transverse process of L5 on the right has hypertrophied and articulates with the superior aspect of the sacrum. The L5-S1 disk space is mildly narrowed. It is likely rudimentary. The rest of the discs have normal height. The pedicles and spinous processes appear to be intact. The sacroiliac joints are normal in appearance.

Impression:

1. Partial sacralization of the L5 segment.
2. The L5-S1 disk space is mildly narrowed and is believed to be rudimentary.
3. No fractures.

So what does this mean? Im actually concerned with the stuff they didn't tell me, all the docs told me was I have DDD in L4-5 with an annular tear, that's it. Is there something I'm missing or something I shouldn't even be worried about?

These were all done about a year ago and they haven't done one since then! and the pain is SO much worse than before.
Any responses are greatly appreciated. -Anita

Last edited by aestrella411; 02-11-2005 at 10:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Re: Exam results, finally!

Has anyone ever heard of Bertolotti's syndrome?

Old 02-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Sacralization of a lumbar vertebrae is a common anatomical anomaly where usually the L5 vertebral body becomes incorporated into the S1 body. It is a benign process that does not need to be repaired. Sounds like you are self fused.

DDD with a bulge and a tear.

Doesn't sound like a nerve is involved. You may be able to get through this with PT and conservative treatment.

take care,

Old 09-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
(male)

TattooDen HB User

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR][QUOTE=aestrella411;1488355]Okay, I've been writing on here with all my symptoms and what I've been through. Well, I've finally got what the hospital has on me, the reports for my MRI and X-ray. I was wondering if anyone here can translate? I know the gist of it but I'd like to know what it means exactly:

MRI Results

The L1-L5 vertebral bodies are visualized in anatomic alignment without evidence of fracture or dislocation. The vertebral body heights and signal characteristics appear within normal limits. There is disk desiccation at the L4-5 level where there is an annular tear and small posterior disk protrusion. There is no significant spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing at this or any of the other visualized levels.

The conus medullaris terminates at L1-2 level, which is within the normal limits.

Incidental note is made of a cystic structure in the left lateral pelvis which is likely the ovary.

Note that there is a transitional vertebra at the lumbosacral junction. It has an enlarged transverse process that appears to have an articulation with the underlying sacrum on the right.

Impression:

Degenerative disk disease at the L4-5 level with a small posterior disk protrusion and annular tear but not significant spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

X-Ray Results

An AP and lateral view were obtained of the lumbar spine. There are five lumbar vertebrae. No compression or deformities are seen. The L5 vertebral segment has undergone partial sacralization. The transverse process of L5 on the right has hypertrophied and articulates with the superior aspect of the sacrum. The L5-S1 disk space is mildly narrowed. It is likely rudimentary. The rest of the discs have normal height. The pedicles and spinous processes appear to be intact. The sacroiliac joints are normal in appearance.

Impression:

3. No fractures.

So what does this mean? Im actually concerned with the stuff they didn't tell me, all the docs told me was I have DDD in L4-5 with an annular tear, that's it. Is there something I'm missing or something I shouldn't even be worried about?

These were all done about a year ago and they haven't done one since then! and the pain is SO much worse than before.
Any responses are greatly appreciated. -Anita[/QUOTE]

Full sacralization of the l-5 and s-1 to my understanding is due to Trama to the spine or impact basically it's the end of the spine its shaped like a triangle between your hips its a abnormal fusion of the vertebre I also have full sacralization I know there is unilateral and bilateral
I have 2 bulged disc's at those points with full sacralization exact quote from the dr is:- in 25% of affected patients, it is associated with either partial or
complete sacralization of L5;
- it may be unilateral or bilateral;
- most common in males sustaining trauma;
- intensity of pain in back & of functional impairment are greater w/
spondylolysis is at L4 as compared to L5;
- incidence of neurological signs compared to L5 spondylolisis;
- progression to Grade-I Spondylolisthesis has been reported in adults,
but severe slipping is unusual;
- neurological signs and symptoms are more frequent, however, when
there is progression to Spondylolisthesis

Disc proyusion is a bulge and yes it is the same as what they call a slipped disc or herniated disc herniated disc leak bulges don't but are just as painful as there is presure on the nerve root ending's depending on how flat your disc's have become

Barone syndrome is iratable bowels and can be serious
Basically its in dr's term and depending on the dr there opinion is generally different if you are having constant pain send you mri's to the laser spine institute of america or look them up on the internet get a few different opinion's and see what you decide remember dr's are human to and do make mistakes

Old 09-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
(female)

MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User

[QUOTE=aestrella411;1488355]Okay, I've been writing on here with all my symptoms and what I've been through. Well, I've finally got what the hospital has on me, the reports for my MRI and X-ray. I was wondering if anyone here can translate? I know the gist of it but I'd like to know what it means exactly:

MRI Results

Impression:

X-Ray Results

Impression:

3. No fractures.

Any responses are greatly appreciated. -Anita[/QUOTE]

I cannot answer your MRI question, but, I will suggest you obtain another MRI since it has been a year. Something else may have gone wrong since you are experiencing pain that is so much worse.

After all my Medical records were lost in the mail a long time ago, I now always get copies of any and all medical records, lab results, etc. I toss them in a box I started back then and just let them accumulate. I never know when I might need one or more of them.

I always advise/suggest everyone do this. If you ever apply for Social Security Disability, having all your records will save you a ton of time. Make sure to always keep a copy for yourself too.
Later, Mammy

Closed Thread