It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #1

islebe HB User
Drop by for 4 month follow up for l5-s1 fusion

hi everybody. i hope everyone is doing well and on their way to a speedy recovery or on their way to getting things fixed and improving life.

I just wanted to follow up with everyone how i am doing 4 months after my l5-s1 fusion. It's been a long time in my mind.

Last week I rode my mountain bike for the first time since surgery. i only rode about 7 miles, and did some good fire-road riding. I didn't have problems because of my back, just got tired and fatigued from underdoing it during recovery.
Today was the first time i played tennis since surgery. I have never felt so good, well at least not since i was 19 and playing in college. Anyhow, my wife worked up a sweat and was tired, and i could have played on and on. No dragging my body around, back or leg pain. Just the good feeling that my choice for surgery was a good one.
I'm still dealing with a little post-op/recovery depression due to the fact i still am not full speed, and have limitations to how far and how long i can go, and since i was out 3 months from work for the surgery, i'm a little behind in my job, and it just brings me down occasionaly.
On the lighter side, I look back on all i have been through and wonder if surgery was my best choice. I was not a candidate for adr due to instability in my spine. I worried that i would not be as flexible, as strong, as able as i used to be before my back went south, and i look at how i went from just laying in bed, to struggling to walk. I look back and i can honestly say 100% that i made the right choice for me.
I know a lot of people post about fusion failure and other problems, but i just wanted to drop back by to let anyone concerned about the road they chose as being the best, that there are success stories, and there is good life after surgery.
just take care of your body and don't push yourself, and let your body recover, and you'll do well. Even though you'll be bored to death for a month or two, you'll thank yourself in the long run for taking it easy.

i wish you all well and i wish you all health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Drop by for 4 month follow up for l5-s1 fusion

islebe, such a wonderful post. You know, I started a surgery success thread, would love to have you post yours on there. I am trying to get it as a sticky, I think it is a great thing to have as those who do well often leave and we never get to hear about them. Of course, I offer a failure board too if anyone wanted to start one. Yin to the yang. (that right?) anyway, so wonderful to hear how well you are doing! I only hope I can say great things like that at my four months. I am doing GREAT too since my two level fusion. I only take pain meds when we go out for the after noon or if I will be wearing my brace for long times. I have no "back pain",only residual surgery stuff. My neck is another story, but we haven't worked on it yet. anyway. I am happy with my decision too and just hope I have great things to report in two months! (that is my four month) Keep it up!

Old 02-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
(female)

memawhurts HB User

islebe,
It's so good to hear you are doing so well and doing things you enjoy doing. I wish only the best for you.

I am almost 5 months now and feel like one of those failed surgeries you were speaking of, but I'm not giving up yet. And for those not as successful as you are yet, I know it helps me to hear your story and gives me a little more hope.

Thanks for the update. Best wishes.
Memaw

Old 02-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Just wanted to say HI!! I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well. Congratulations. Please keep us posted with your on going recovery. Take care and be sure to not over do it. Good luck with all. Kristy.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

You're doing an awful lot for 4 months, between bouncing on the mountain bike and twisting at tennis. Take it easy.
fly

Old 02-13-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Congrats on doing so well, and thanks for updating us! I love to hear about success stories. As Mel said, please post your story on the surgery success thread- I know it will help a lot of people. I am almost 6 weeks out from my 2 level fusion, and I hope to be doing as well as you at the 4 month mark. I am on no pain meds, and just started exercising a little bit the other day! I hope your recovery continues to go well!

Old 02-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Islebe: Are you 100% fused?

Old 02-13-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Thanks for posting good news it doesn't always happen that the ones that it works for comes back.
As has been stated don't do to much to fast, I know you have to be sick of hearing that but want to see you continue to have an active pain free life.
Linda

Closed Thread