It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
What kind of exercises does a physical therapist do?

I was wondering what kind of exercises a phycical therapist do? Is walking on a treadmill part of the rehabilitation? I do have one at home and I know in the past when I hurt my back before it worked really well to strengthen my back.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: What kind of exercises does a physical therapist do?

Mine had me get on the treadmill first thing every time I went there. Then he got into stretches and stuff. I was three months post-op.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

If your PT hands you a set of exercises, or a printout, then ask for individualized exercises and stretches. Each person's body is different and each person has a different need. The treadmill should be part of everyone's PT for life. And PT is for life after back surgery.

Ab strenthening is a *huge* part of back PT.

take care,

Old 02-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

A treadmill doesn't strengthen your back.
To strengthen your back you need to need to strengthen the piroformis or core muscles. You do this with abdominal exercises. A physical therapist will also have you strengthen your hamstrings. A GOOD physical therapist will also have you do upper body toning - light weights, upper back exercises, etc.

I only did the treadmill as I chose. It was not part of my regime when I went to Physical Therapy sessions.

I had to use the big blue ball and do some exericses on that - after I did my warm-up stretching. I also used a couple different machines that worked on strengthening my leg muscles - because after all, it's important to learn to do things with your legs more than your back. If the legs are weak, you tend to use your back more, which is wrong.

As well, the PT exercises are only as good as you allow them to be. If you don't continue them at home and do them as they instruct you, you'll gain no benefit from them.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

agreed. The treadmill is more for warming up. I was given the choice of treadmill, recumbant or stationary bike. It is just like warming up before you work out. Get your heart and blood pumping. You can do minimal strengthening on the 'mill by tightening your abs and squeezing your buttocks as those muscles do affect your back as well. You'll spend maybe ten mins doing those and the other fifty doing the "real" strengthening stuff. I think I am spelling that wrong.......? Anyway, have fun I always look forward to PT.

Closed Thread