It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #1

1short HB User
biofeed back set me off in spasms

I went to a pain Mangement clinic-trying to learn to live with pain-they hooked me up to a biofeedback computer, I topped the scale in my mid back. When they detached the sensor, all hell broke lose. I was banging off the walls with spasms so severe they were moving all the furniture as far away as they could. That lasted about an hour-and I have been in a constant state of small spasms, I can not talk-I studder severly, for six straight days. Every day I get up I am alittle worst. HISTORY-I have had all of this before, going on since Xmas eve. I would have a higher level of pain in my mid back for a day- I would have severe spasms two times a day for almost an hour but only for 1 day-the next day spasms like I have no but I sis not studder and it only lasted about a day. Then in a few days it would start all over again in the same series of events, just varying in more or less severity. Now it seems I am stuck and getting progressively worse. This all started on Tuesday-Wednesday they sent me home as this is work comp and I could only be there for three days aweek. I go back tomorrow Monday, but the doctors are almost helpless. Any ideas? The positive thing was it happened in from of doctors-I have tried to explain to them what was happening yet they really had no idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: biofeed back set me off in spasms

I truly wished I had some answers for you. I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you.
I have to say though your post kind of shook me up I had no idea that bio-feedback had anything to do with hoking you up to anything, live and learn, I had just thought it was learning to manage your pain through your thoughts.
Hope you get some answers and help soon.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
(female)

lindabobinda HB User

I hope things get better for you. I to have gone through Biofeed back and the sensor that they hook up to you only "meaures" the spasms in your muscles, it doesn't do anything else but measure, so I don't think the sensor sent your back into spasms it might have been the technique they teach you to do to relax your muslces. I know for me the first 2 sessions were the worse because you have to tighten your muscle and bascially make yourself go into spasms so you can learn how to stop the spasms and relax them. The 3rd session is when the "real" biofeed back starts, so to speak, they don't have you strain yourself etc. hopefully it will get better for you, I hope you can stick with it and your spasms ease up, they can be so painful.
Take care,
Linda

Old 02-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #4

1short HB User

I don't blame the biofeed back- It just happened to be placed on the exact spot that seems to be the surface conection to what is happening to me. By all means, use bio to help you in anyway you can.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
(male)

blueswimmer HB User

Hey, 1Short,

Are you sure they didn't hook you up to a TENS unit (transdermal electrical nerve stimulator)? It sends electrical impulses to several electrodes that stick to your skin. If you crank it up too high, it can go from a pleasant "tingling" to something that would cause muscle jerks (although it would generally stop after you turned it off or removed the electrodes).

Anyway, I thought i'd mention that since TENS units are often used in pain management. Sorry whatever it was, was so traumatic!

blueswimmer

Closed Thread