It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Question Does Anyone else have this problem?

I am 2 weeks post-op TLIF and Posterior Lumbar fusion of the (S1 & L5), I don't have any pain during the day, but at night I get so sore I cannot move. My Nurses do not know why since I don't over do anything during the day.
I cannot do the log roll in the mornings without severe pain, and this morning I had to wait until the Nurse came to lift me out of bed.

Any idea what might be going on???

Thanks,
Stardust

Old 02-14-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User
Re: Does Anyone else have this problem?

Is it your back that is sore during the night and in the morning? It could just be from the inactivity during the night, and your muscles stiffen up. I had that problem for the first few weeks- in the mornings I could barely move until I loosened up a little bit. A hot shower helped some. I was also very stiff and sore in my hips and quads- walking helped the quads, and I guess time helped my hips because they don't bother me much anymore.Staying in one position is not good, and does cause your muscles to tighten up. Give your doctor a call if you need to- part of his job is to answer your questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Yes, I have that problem.
I'm getting no relief from it either... and I believe it's Jessie is correct. It's a muscle issue - I think mine is from tensing in my sleep.

I think it's something that has to work itself out. Do you have a heating pad you can turn on as you wake up in the morning - lay on that. It helps me. Mine goes away the second I hit the floor in the morning - but has caused me to get up at 3 and 4 am sometimes.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

are you taking muscle relaxers at night? if so, and you still are sore, try waking up and taking another in the night so it doesn't wear off when you wake up. I am sorry you are going through this. Try some deep breathing and slow slow stretching (arms up feet pointed kind). Other than that, give your dr a call if it does not get better.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Yes, I take muscle relaxers, 2 at bedtime. But I still cannot move. I even put my hands under my butt (palms down) and do a type of crab walk just to move that area over a bit. I am not able to lift my bottom enough to move over or even do the log roll.
The nurse came today and she had to pick me up and carry me off the bed!
I ask her to show me some excersizes to loosen up the muscle and she did,
But my whole body is acting up now. I can't wait till Thurday gets here and I see the Doc.
Maybe this is the 2 week thing you all were talking about. I felt better after surgery than I do now!
As soon as I stand up the muscle around the 2 incisions get very tight, I can see and feel them, almost like they are going to poke right through the brace.
Every muscle in my back, shoulders and arms & thighs are tired and painful. I take 2 long naps a days and don't do much of anything else. Other than walk around my backyard.
Stardust

Old 02-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Talking Re: Does Anyone else have this problem?

UPDATE:
My Surgeon called, he told me I am over medicated and to stop taking the Morphine (Ms-Contin), and to drop down to only 3 of the 5mg of Oxycodone, and to leave the Flexeril at 3 times a day.
I woke up this morning and could not move again, my Nurse had to lift me off the bed once again, I did notice something= When I am sleeping I feel like I am falling off a cliff and my body goes into spasms . I told the Surgeon all this and again he said I am over Medicated. And the Morphine is causing Halucinations and to stop it.
Tomorrow the Nurses are to teach me more excersizes, I can shower alone now and wash the upper back and lower feet with the back brush. I actually was able to squirm into a position and shave my legs .
I don't do this unless someone else is in the house with me and I also bought the 2 ways radios at wal-mart, so I am never alone.
I begin the new meds in the morning since I already took the 12 hour Morphine today.
So I will take my nap today and walk around my backyard without the walker. And get fresh air. My Sister-in-Law and her husband are here for a visit for a few days and are helping me tremendously .
They won't let me fall .
So I wanted to let you know that it is the meds doing all this and in the morning I should be doing 100% better and not need the walker at all .
Stardust

Old 02-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I'm glad your doctor seems to be able to pinpoint the problem but I hope he was listening to the pain part of your conversation. I get the impression from what you said that he's wanting you to stop your meds because of the other symptoms.

As far as stopping the meds and finding relief from pain - there is some truth to that, but just know that it may take a while for them to get out of your system... and being walker-free overnight might not happen. Just keep trying to do a little bit more each day. It's such a slow process.

You'll probably feel aches and pains of some sort for months to come yet. Don't get discouraged.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

oh, yeah, that two week thing!!!!! Forgot about that, could def be that for sure. You may just be having some hellacious inflammation and only a steroid pack like I took might help. I don't know though. YOu could call and see if you can get in earlier-even walk in though for me that sucked I was in so much pain. I had to have them give me a room to lie down in even though it wasn't my turn cause I couldn't sit in the chair or even handle walking around. I really really hope things get better for you soon-please let me know okay?

Old 02-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I didn't read your update-I didn't come home with morphine so I don't know much about that. I hope it all works okay for you, like I said, let me know how you are doing!

Old 02-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I won't get discouraged, and I see him Thursday Morning for a wound check.
I will make sure everything is clear.
He did ask me about pain on and off the meds.
Stardust

Old 02-15-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I am also going to make sure he knows I cannot get out of bed or turn over in bed by myself due to, too much pain.
Stardust

Closed Thread