It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

QuickDraw HB User
Unhappy Please Help!!

My fiance has had low back pain for 3 years. His pain is in his low back and throughout his right leg. The pain in his leg is severe. He doesn't have any circulation and his foot is always freezing. We have seen many doctors including 3 orthos and 1 neuro. He has had all tests done except discogram. He has tried PT, massage therapy, acupuncture, and chiropractors. Currently he is on Kadian for the pain, but he has tried many different types of pills. He has had 3 or 4 lumbar facet injections and 3 lumbar epidoral injections. The facet injections made his back pain bearable but did not touch the leg pain. The MRI's and other tests are not showing where the pain is coming from and the doctors cannot agree on what he has or what needs to be done. One said he had a spinal leak and no cartilage between his bottom 3 vertebrae. Another said he has a herniated disc. Another said his disc isn't bulged, but it is torn. He also has degenerative disc disease and sciatica. With each different diagnosis comes different solutions. Fusion, more epidural injections (which didn't work the other 3 times), microdiskectomy, and "banding" (can't find any info about this procedure; they wrap the disc with something to strengthen it?).
We know that the next step was supposed to be the discogram, but we have run out of money and he no longer has insurance. Is there anything else we can do? Has anybody had same problems? I read on here about different types of PT people have tried that helped. Can someone please give me the info on these therapies. The PT he went to was terrible. Maybe these other types of therapy could help. He is in so much pain as you all can relate. We are at a loss, someone please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User
Re: Please Help!!

this sounds very familiar!!! i have sciatica as the result of my piriformis pinching my nerve, i have si joint pain (no idea what causes that one), and an annular tear in my l3-4. i had 5 mris (with no problems id'd except ddd in my l4-5), but a discogram is what found my problem (the annular tear).

it sounds to me like they're closer to diagnosing the problem than in my case, so a discogram may not be necessary yet. however, if it is a tear or anything like that, he will have to consider the following (at least what i'm aware of - there may be more): idet, fusion, adr, and the like.

in a nutshell - hard to tell, considering you've heard so many causes. if he's like me, though, and has no other diagnostic option left, the discogram may have to be considered. or, maybe shopping for a dr. who can provide more consistency, etc.

wish i could offer more...if steroid shots (i assume they're epidurals?) aren't working, then he may have to consider more serious treatment options. good luck, and please keep us posted when you get more information.
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Closed Thread