It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Stupid Brace!

any of you who are wearing a brace find that it causes MORE pain sometimes that if you went without it? I cheat and sometimes don't wear it at home and do pretty good, but like now, I am sitting on the couch with it on and it is killing me! Just wondering. I am so tired of wearing it and my stimulator. I would love to wear my jeans today and not have to constantly pull them up b/c the brace makes them fall down! I can't wear a belt cause it pushes into where my ab incision is. Maybe I can find a scarf to wear in the meantime. Jeeze. Well, hopefully, only one month left! I am so not looking forward to the three hour plane ride in two weeks. That is going to suck big time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: Stupid Brace!

Why don't you just resign yourself to wearing a tent dress for the duration? Are you still wearing a tee shirt under it? I had to wear mine 24/7 all summer.
fly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I still wear my brace over shirts, but it isnt that. It is that is causes me more pain. I can't wear tent dresses. At 27 I HAVE to look my best at all times, just the way I am! I can be such a PIA. Heck, I wore HEELS the other night-did pretty good too

Old 02-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

peepers566 HB User

I kept thinking to myself that I wanted to post about how much I hated my brace and to see if anybody elas out there hates their barce as much as I do. I had my first surgery done in Aug, 2004 and the next one in Dec 2004 so I have been in my brace for 6 months and I am looking at another 6 months to go. I also use the stimulator too. I wear lots of sweats, although the other day I were jeans out without my brace (shhh don't tell the surgen) I wear a t-shirt underneath the brace too, but sometimes I just can't stand the brace any longer. I rides up and catches my breast, or rides low and hurts my hips. Thanks for letting me vent, and for letting me know someone out there feels the same way I do!!!!!

Old 02-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

Mel, I am very new into learning about backs and such, what is the brace? What is it for and what does it look like.Is the stimulator like what they call a Tens unit?

Old 02-16-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

Mel, My 15 year old just finished wearing a brace in December. When she saw your post she said that was exactly the way she felt about it. She absolutely hated it! Her best Christmas present was that she was finished wearing it after three long months. I had to go out and find t-shirts that didn't have any side seams in them because the seams bothered her. She wore t-shirts or sweatshirts and sweat pants to school for three months - not the wardrobe of a high school student. Even her teachers noticed her change of clothing when she went back to school in Jan. wearing her mini-skirts and boots instead of the sweats they were used to seeing her in. Best of luck with it! I'm hoping we won't have to go through this again after her surgery.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I wear my jeans frequently now, but also wear velour jumpsuits with a tank top under the brace. I have to pull my shirts down tight so they don't bunch up under it. Tonight I wore a belt just to keep my jeans up and it was okay, prob cause my jeans are low cut so the belt sat just under the curve of the pelvic part of it.
I don't get dressed though or showered until I am getting ready to go out and then, I take my regular stuff off the MINUTE I get home and I put my pj's back on. I don't wear my brace around the house-my dr wouldn't like that, but I am careful. Besides so many people don't even have to wear them after the same fusion, so it can't hurt me too much, or can it? My mom said I could prob get away with not wearing it out, as long as I wear it for sure in the car. For now, I will just in case.
My brace is plastic, it was made just for me two days prior to my surgery. I go in and they basically cast my middle section from hips to bust. Then, they saw it off once it dries and from that mold they make the brace. There is a front and back and you tighten it to fit very very snug (the tighter the better) with velcro straps. The stimulator I wear is a bone growth stimulator. It takes calcium directly to the fusion site to help me fuse faster or better. Tomorrow, I forego the jeans and go with the velour outfit. Oh, and now I have been sweating more too. when I take the brace off after a whole day of wearing it, my shirts are DRENCHED> it sucks. I am glad there are others out there who feel my pain!

Old 02-17-2005, 02:14 AM   #8
(female)

memawhurts HB User

I hated mine too. Had to wear it for 4 months after surgery. But this time my brace was the corsett type and I have to say it was much better than the hard plastic turtle shell I had with my first fusion. The good thing was it definitely kept me from overeating, lol. The bad thing was sometimes it made it really hard to take a deep breath and with asthma it was frustrating to say the least.

I don't have to wear it anymore, but if I know I'm going to be in the car on a trip longer than an hour, I will wear it then. Or sometimes if I know I'm doing something that's hard to keep from bending or twisting, I will wear it.

Mel, I was much like you and hated to wear it, and sometimes it did seem to make me hurt more, but after I stopped wearing it, I had increased pain for 2-3 weeks after. It really surprised me because I didn't wear mine around the house a lot either. So who knows.

Good Luck to you all,
Memaw

Old 02-17-2005, 04:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

[QUOTE=mel1977] I can't wear tent dresses. At 27 I HAVE to look my best at all times, just the way I am!

Some people have different priorities. Dresses are way easier to handle in the bathroom, too. It just made me nuts because they didn't have the pockets of cargo pants. After 8 months I only wear my brace for a long car ride or if I have to dig my car out. My insurance wouldn't pay for my brace so my doctor got me an OTC one. And I still use the reachers.
fly

Old 02-17-2005, 06:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Mel, I know how you feel- my brace is driving me crazy too! I can't wait until I get rid of it- 6 more weeks to go. I know what you mean about it making your jeans fall down. I wear the low-rise jeans and the brace definitely brings them slightly lower than they should be- so I have to wear longer shirts to make up for it, LOL. Last night I was working, and people kept commenting "Your pants are so baggy- you must have lost a lot of weight!". I did, but not quite enough to make my jeans THAT baggy! I can't wear a belt under the brace, it makes it not fit right. A friend and I went to the ballet last weekend, so of course I dressed up. It was quite a challenge trying to find something nice in my closet that would hide the brace AND fit over it without making me look huge. I hope we can all get rid of our braces soon!

Old 02-17-2005, 06:58 AM   #11
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

Thanks for the description., The turtle shell is exactly what my daughter wore after her back injury from a car wreck.She had to have it resized about 3 different time ., They called it a body cast. Hers was pink. She was a senior in high school and hated wearing it also and that has been 12 years ago. Thanks for the information about the stimulator, I didn't realize that they had to stimulate bones to grow.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

not everyone wears a stimulator though. Usually they are worn by smokers , which I was until October. Some drs might have all their patients wear them to give them a better chance at the best fusion possible.
Mine is just one more thing to complain about at this point

Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #13

JWHIT HB User

The sweating thing really sucks! I went to the boys department and bought the under t-shirt tank tops. They are cheap and tight fitting so they don't ride up with your brace. I hope I only have 1 more month to go. (3 mos. post op). I feel very weird without my brace on, not as stable. I can't wait to get rid of it but at the same time a little weird about the thought of going about my day without it. Weird I know cause it is such a pain, it pinches you under you boobs when you sit it rubs on your hip bones when you walk! If it helps, I guess it is a small price to pay! Good Day to All!!!!!
Jean

Old 02-18-2005, 01:44 AM   #14
(female)

Colebriley HB User

Ah, the dreaded brace. I wore mine for 8 months and even in the winter it is HOT HOT HOT.. i always wore a shirt under it and yes, sometimes it is less painfull without it. Though DO NOT CHEAT. even at home.
I wanted to so bad. But, now i'm so glad i didn't. I know it sucks. I was 18 when i had my accident and got made fun of and laughed at when i went out even. (which was terrible in itself) But, the brace is GOOD.
Also, if you buy some super low rise jeans, its easier. and get some wife beaters or thin tank tops to wear under it. Makes it a little easier to bear, less sweat!

Old 02-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

all my jeans are low rise so that does help. I just don't want it anymore, you know? I just want to wear my clothes without it-oh well, I will keep grinning and bearing it! or should I say, wearing it???

Closed Thread