It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Location of L5 disc? Where on the spine?

I have looked at pictures of the anatomy of the spine and have seen where the L5 disc is. I can't figure out exacly where that is on my body though. I have an injured L5 disc but it seems like I am having problems closer to my tailbone. I have what seems like a lump right above my tailbone that hurts to sit on in the tub. It also hurts when I walk and sit sometimes. Can an injured disc cause a lump on the outside of the spine?

Old 02-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User
Re: Location of L5 disc? Where on the spine?

you know where the "dimples" on either side of your lower back are? that disc is at about that level. it's the last lumbar before you get to the sacrum/coccyx and the iliac (pelvis).

as far as the lump, i'm not sure about that. have you had any tests run? beyond xrays, mris, and blood tests, i can't think of any other tests to id what the lump is. maybe cold/heat applied to the spot?

not much help, but it's the best i can do...good luck and take care of yourself!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=Kari7171]I have looked at pictures of the anatomy of the spine and have seen where the L5 disc is. I can't figure out exacly where that is on my body though. I have an injured L5 disc but it seems like I am having problems closer to my tailbone. I have what seems like a lump right above my tailbone that hurts to sit on in the tub. It also hurts when I walk and sit sometimes. Can an injured disc cause a lump on the outside of the spine?[/QUOTE]

For a lack of a better way to describe it to you...Sorry! It is probably 1 inch or so, above the top of the crack of your buttocks....it would also be quite understandable to have pain at the tailbone with this disc being injured.... since it is right above the tailbone... and if it is inflamed enough it is also quite possible to have a visible lump their.... I had surgery at L5-S1 back in June 2004... a Laminectomy/Discectomy for a herniated disc there... and before surgery and for some time afterwards I had a visible lump.. or swelling there.. Also like Rampage said... What testing have you had done? and did the testing not detect what could be causing the lump? Has your doctor mentioned a cause for the lump? Also the heating pad is a good idea, and also try taking an anti inflammatory like Motrin, or Advil, Ibuprophen.. to maybe cut the inflammation there..Hope this helps... Best of luck to you.

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 02-24-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I have only had an MRI. That was two weeks ago when I was in so much pain I could not walk on my own. Now the only problem I seem to be having is a little muscle stiffness that makes me walk crooked sometimes and the pain right above my tailbone. If it is 1 inch above my butt crack the lump and pain I am having is at least two inches below that spot. I know that when I was at the doctors she pointed to the disc that was injured and it is way above where I am having pain now by about 3 inches. I mentioned it hurt at my tailbone and she just said it was because I had lost weight and that I could feel my bone more now. That statement is totally wrong. I had been at that weight for most of my life and I even weighed less before and I have never had this problem. She was just trying to come up with something even though it was wrong. I guess I should not complain too much since I could not even walk on my own two weeks ago and now I am up to walking 15 minutes on my treadmill almost every day. By the way when I walk on it my tailbone pain feels quite a bit better. It always comes back though. I am hoping that it will just eventually go away and not come back.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

OK I measured where I have the bump. It is exactly 2" above the very end of my tailbone. Could that be where my L5 disc is? It seems like the bump is one of my vertebra sticking out further then it is supposed to.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

Sounds right to me...lumbar problems are the most "humiliating" ones to have as far as back problems go! I have so little shame now because of the number of times I've had to "expose" myself to my medical professionals!!!

Only my OB/GYN doesn't deal with this! Ah, this is my life...
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11

Old 02-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Upon further examination I notice that it is to the left a little. Maybe it is an inflammation around the disc that was damaged. I know when I had surgery one time I had a big lump on the edge of where they made the cut. That was at my belly button though. I wonder how long before it will go down. I think I will ice pack it tonight and see if that helps.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

[QUOTE=Kari7171]Upon further examination I notice that it is to the left a little. Maybe it is an inflammation around the disc that was damaged. I know when I had surgery one time I had a big lump on the edge of where they made the cut. That was at my belly button though. I wonder how long before it will go down. I think I will ice pack it tonight and see if that helps.[/QUOTE]

I have injured L5 and that S1 "thingie" L3-4 and L4-5 herniation and annular tears, all around those L's and S's, but I like you noticed a lump to the right of my "butt dimples" (for lack of proffessional terms! ) and it was sore, so I mentioned it to my PM doc, and he said it was probably an inflamed trigger point. So he prescribed some cream that has lidocane, baclofen, and a couple other anti-inflammatory agents in it, and it DID eventually shrink. I can still feel it, if I press real hard, but not like before. From what I hear, these trigger points, especially around the lumbar are that is injured are common. LIke the other poster said, you lose all humiliation when you have lower lumbar injuries cuz they are so close to your hiney! LOL

Ask about inflamed trigger points when you see your doc. Did you say you were healing from surgery? That's great! I am finally taking the plunge to see if they can't fix the mess in my lower back this year, since it all started nearly 3 years ago. I am to the point now, where my left leg can't be raised on its own, it needs a little "help". I have a really good shuffle going on! And when I try to raise my right foot toward my shin, it looks like some kind of cartoon gone bad, all shakey and jerky. Well, that's what I get for waiting so long. We had to empty out what was left of our 401K for me to have the surgery.

Great to hear you are healing! And IMO you may just have an inflammed trigger point. I too thought bad things. I was like "YIKES, CANCER!" But it was nothing but my lumbar hiney misbehaving.

Good luck to you.
tk

Old 02-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

[QUOTE=Kari7171]Upon further examination I notice that it is to the left a little. Maybe it is an inflammation around the disc that was damaged. I know when I had surgery one time I had a big lump on the edge of where they made the cut. That was at my belly button though. I wonder how long before it will go down. I think I will ice pack it tonight and see if that helps.[/QUOTE]

I have pain (separate from my annular tear) that is around the left "butt dimple" area! FYI - After 5 years of this, I've found out that's your Sacro-Iliac (or SI) joint. It connects the sacral portion of you extreme lower back to your pelvis. That's our Biology lesson for today!

The problem took over 4 years to ID...once my tear was ID'd 3 years into this whole EPIC, I had to have a successful IDET before we could be sure it was separate, and not a radiation from the disc. Mine gets SO BAD in the Winter, but I'm just glad I've not had the DAILY for 6 months...I think I can handle being 85 for a couple months a year. Better than what I had.

You know, when I had PT done fairly soon after my accident, my PT would do the "march test"...have you had that one??? OUCH!!! I told her (half-jokingly) that I was going to smack her the next time she did that...so if you have pain in the "butt dimple" or SI joint area, make sure they know. They'll still stick they're thumb there anyway, but maybe not as often.

Good Luck!!!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11

Old 01-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
(female)

rachelpass HB User

What about Pilonidal Cyst?? This reply is for the person who posted with the bump near their tailend.. I once had one of these and it was a bump and it hurt really bad till one day it ruptured and then it started all over again. Do some searching on the term Pilonidal Cyst and see what you come up with. Good Luck!

Closed Thread