It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Requesting a new chair at work

Ok, here's a new one (I think).

I started a new job last week. Everything is perfect with the job, except the chair I have. Cuts me off mid-thigh (and I'm only 5'1) and doesn't have any lumbar support whatsoever. They know I had back surgery and we happened to find one of those things you put on a chair for back support, but it's just not cutting it (and cuts into the leg room on the chair, as well).

So, my question is.... how do I ask for a new chair, a chair better suited for someone with a back condition, without coming off like a pain in the butt. I know the better chairs aren't inexpensive... but I will be spending 8 hours per day in this chair. I really don't want to screw up my back or be uncomfortable while I'm there.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
(female)

kt41577 HB User
Re: Requesting a new chair at work

I would explain the discomfort your having, see how they respond. Or ask other co-workers before you go the boss, and see if you can get feel for how they would respond.
you could always offer to pay for it, and keep the chair if you leave. I brought my own chair from home (I'm a teacher) so I bring it home after the school year. how bad is this?-our secretary has gotten 3 different chairs for her back, I asked for one and was denied!! a little favoritism in my workplace!
my sister had back surgery several years ago, and her place of employment bought her a new chair, she went through insurance and it didn't cost the copy hardly anything. I will talk to her and see how she did it, and I'll post again!
good luck and let me know what you do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Thanks - good tips. I'll watch for your next post

Old 02-28-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I would suggest that you talk with whomever is most appropriate and explain the situation your having and see if they are willing to help you. If that doesn't work you could make a formal request for a reasonable accommodation under the American with Disabilities Act. It only requires that you convey to your employer what the wor work related medical reason is that you need a specific piece of new or adapted equipment. They may request medical verification or sometimes employers do informal accommodations. Large companies usually have a policy about how to request reasonable accommodations but all should. Employers can require employees to for part of the cost but many don't. If you need the chair long term it's worth donig. If it's only temporary maybe they could find a chair or cushion or whatever you could use that they already have.

Closed Thread