It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #1

simsim29 HB User
Unhappy shoulder and neck muscles pain, what is wrong with me?

Since 8 months ago I started having severe pain between the right shoulder blade and spine. Many times the pain would get worse and I get a migrane in the right side of my head. No matter what pain killers I took nothing changes. Eventualy the pain went away. When I woke up from afternoon naps I noticed both arms are numb (half the arms exterior side). At that time I was lifting weights in the gym and I noticed the migranes hit the day after. I didnt stop and eventually the pain was daily and nothing eased the migranes! I started physical therapy as all Xrays and MRI images showed no disk or bone problems. Everything was normal for a 30 year old male. After 10 sessions the pain was gone and i was almost normal again. Then I lifted some boxes and pushed some furniture as I was remodelling the house, the pain was back again though not as severe as in the beginning. I did more sessions and I was ok again. Besides the migranes I was getting a bad pressure pain in my forehead. I thought i was having a sinus infections or something. I didnt see a doctor for that though.After being pain free for some time I injured myself one day after a 2 hour photo shoot (i'm a photographer). the right side of my neck was in pain and that same spot between the shoulder blade and spine was hurting me again. I changed doctors and did 10 sessions. After that I was much better as the pressure went away and so did the migranes. I even started kick-boxing class though i had to do proper warm up for my neck and shoulders. I was still getting some discomfort and burning sensation in my neck and shoulders but it was nothing too severe. Sometimes I get a small spasm but icing it for 2 days did the trick. However last week I had a photo shoot and my neck and shoulders were in pain again. This time the pain and symptoms were as bad as it was when i first had those symptoms. The pressure in the forehead, migranes, spasms moving from one side to the other on my shoulders and lots of burning sensation and very sharp pain in the right side of my neck by C1 i think it's the Trapizui muscle. That area would feel so sore that it shoots up to the whole area above my right ear and extends to my forehead creating that migrane. The migrane that doesnt go away with any pain killer. I'd be fine for a few mins then boom the pain attacks then boom it's gone again. I wake up in the morning and there is nothing, then 1 hour later I feel severe pain in the left are between the shoulder blade and spine. another 4 hours later I feel the same pain but on the other side...all this while i'm home or doing my normal daily routine. I stopped woking out and taking photos and not lifting anyhting or pushing anything. I would like to know if someone knows what is wrong with me? some doctors said it's just muscle inflammation or strain and I should take it easy for at least 6 months and i should be fine after. Some said i injured my muslces by causing too much stress on them and should strengthen those muscles again. Well I have been doing lots of stretching and mobilizing and strengthening exercises and I felt I was getting better. But then 1 photo shoot and i'm back to where i started. Any Idea any one?? please!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: shoulder and neck muscles pain, what is wrong with me?

It's really hard for us to say what is wrong. All I can say is your headaches sound like cluster headaches. With intense pain that comes then goes like that. They do have treatments for that. As far as your back goes from reading your story the pain seems to follow strenous activity. If you have a muscle that is inflammed like the doctor said you probably need to take it easy for a while on that muscle to let it heal. Once you get an injury it can be reinjured very easily if you try lifting weights or doing something strenous too soon. I hurt my lower back really bad about 6 weeks ago. I damaged a disc according to an MRI and I must have torn some ligaments and muscles. From what I have read after a sprain or injury like that a person should not try to lift weights for at least 3 months or they risk re spraining it again. Maybe that is what is wrong with you also. When you get a sprained muscle you need to keep it moving and that would be why physical therapy caused the pain to go away. But it takes months for it to really completely heal. So by overdoing it my opinion is you keep respraining that same muscle. Do the exercises that you did in physical therapy and other then that take it easy for say 6 months like the doctor said even if it feels better.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:29 AM   #3

simsim29 HB User

Well it's been 8 months since I started physical therapy. Before 1 week ago i must say that I was much better and was living my life at 90% if i may say so. But now i'm at 40%. I understand I have to take it easy. But what i dont understand is how long more? It's been 8 months already and I did feel I was improving. Moreover, if the muscle was getting better why is it getting as worse as it did in the beginning after I did something strenous!! I'm willing to take it easy if thats gonna solve my problem, but how long more do i have to wait?? And finaly, when it does heal completely, am I gonna be ok to lift weights and live my life as I once did? or am I gonna have to change my life style?? Sorry for the too many angry questions and thank you for taking the time to read my misery!!!! It's not fun when you are 30 years old and can't do the simplest things like sleeping at night or extending your arms to take off your jacket!!!

Old 03-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Well you should wait until you are living life at 100% before trying something strenous. By starting too early you set yourself back possibly to the beginning again. I read that the more you keep hurting the muscle over and over again the longer it is going to take for it to heal each time. I don't mean to be discouraging but you really need to take it easy on yourself for a while. I know it seems like a long time. Even though I am female I was into lifting weights for about 9 years. I had hurt my back lifting something heavy and it wasn't while doing weight lifting. I waited about two months and tried doing squats and I hurt it all over again. I ended up with back pain for a year. It did finally go away and I was able to lift weights again. In fact once I got better the weight lifting is what made my back feel better along with the treadmill. Although I did not try to lift really heavy weights ever again. Are you maxing out when you lift weights? That would be a really bad idea if you are. When you are at 100 % you need to go slow and not try to lift a lot of weight for a while. Also maybe you could go to a doctor who was into sports medicine. It's pretty common for people in sports to hurt themselves and weight lifting would be in that category. Someone like that would know a lot more about how long it takes and what you should be doing to get better.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:44 AM   #5

simsim29 HB User

HI and thank you for responding. yes maybe your response is a bit discouraging but more hopeful. KNowing that you were 100% ok after a year gives me hope again. THe 1st time I got better and was at about 90% I hurt myself lifting some medium size boxes and pushed some furniture. ok maybe that wasnt' smart but I didnt know. After therapy I was ok again at 90%. I'm a photographer and I was shooing some graduation ceremony and after 2 hours i felt pain in my shoulders'neck area. I did therapy but with a defferetn doc and some new exercises. I must say since that time I felt a whole lot better as I said since the pressure and migranes completely went away. I think i was at 100% maybe 95% as i was getting some muscle soreness but my doc said it came from the exercises. they were more of a burning sensation and alocal fever at specific muscles. I then decided to go back to the gym and do kickboxing. I did NOT lift weights or anything as I lost interest. But my therapist had me do some push ups and exercises with a 5 lbs dumbell. Kickboxing is a bit intense but after doing 3 classes I didnt notice anything pain or anything so i continued. But I was getting some hot sensation and some soreness after I did those exercises my doc made me do and they always went away after a day or so. My last injury I think came right after class when I did more push ups than i ususally did and the dumbell exercise.I had a spasm I think in the left side. Then I topped it off with a 2 day photo shoot!! I guess maybe I didnt get to 100% at all maybe just 95% and then I went right back to gym. maybe wasnt the smartest thing but hey I felt good and I really wanted to lose the fw pounds I gained. I'm big on food and love rice and fatty stuff. I'm bad with dieting and I think I am bulimic already
Do you think I should NOT go to kickboxing for at least 8 months to 1 year and just do nothing but physical therapy ?? I mean if that will cure my problem then I'm willing to sit down and think hard about it to convince myself. I'm a very strong and focused 31 year old guy but when i'm not working out I feel out of control and depressed thus I eat whatever I see and then most of the times I just run to the bathroom and stick my finger down my throat!!! I'm only a few pounds over weight believe it or not and most of it is in my waist line and people in the middle east are not as polite as people in the US. They just say "oh hey your body is good but whats up with the belly??" and that does it for me unfortuneately. again thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to read my story.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:48 AM   #6

simsim29 HB User

could you tell me more about your problem? was it a muscle strain and where in your back? and how did you recover? did you do physical therapy or just stayed home?

Closed Thread