It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

purplehazed HB User
Question Anyone been to a Physiatrist?

My MRI came back with no significant findings, just the standard compression that comes with being over 50. No narrowing of the spinal column anywhere, nothing looking out of place. So I'm now one of the 'unexplained' back problem people. I questioned my dr. again about a breast reduction and he said excessive breast weight usually causes lower back and upper neck and shoulder pain, not pain in the upper back. So . . . now what??

I've read 2 books about back pain that have both said the number one medical type practictioner to see for back pain is a Physiatrist. The books said more people with back pain have been helped by them, than any other medical practictioner or other professional. They suggested to skip the neurologist, the osteopath, and chiropractor and go straight to a Physiatrist. I've never heard of a Physiatrist. Anyone here have any experience with one?

Old 03-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
(female)

kwise HB User
Re: Anyone been to a Physiatrist?

Yep Im invovled with one now. He is type of doctor that does injections into differnet parts of the body. Normally when they inject meds inoto the body it is usally steriods. For me we have done SI joint, facet joint, now Tuesday I am doing a epiudural nerve block to my L5. They work for some (depending on problem) then again they don't work. I havnet had any luck with the first two so Im hoping this next one will do something. The procedure isn't painful either just some dis comfort. Hope I have help at least a lil bit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

soozzee03 HB User

[COLOR=Blue]Hello. I'm a newbie too. Just wanted to check out how this works. I've never heard of physiatrist.[/COLOR]

Old 03-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
(male)

Monty44 HB User

A Physiatrist is usually the doctor who handles long term pain management. Surgeons will send you there so they won't have to prescribe pain medicine long term. They are also better at finding the right combination and dose for your pain.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

A physiatrist is physical medicine and rehabilitaton. Among other things they rehab stroke patients. I was sent to one years ago for an EMG before carpal tunnel surgery. They don't just do shots.
fly

Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

Kwise -

Are you making sure you're keeping the injections to a minimum? The research and medical advice I've received states 3-4 per year at a maximum, because more than that can lead to serious problems.

I've been conversing with some on this board who've had TONS of injections, and they now have holes in their back from the injections!

Just wanted to post this in case you weren't aware of this...Good luck to you!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Closed Thread