It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Dealing in Pa. HB User
Anyone have info on a crushed nerve at L5/s1?

I recently had a diskectomy at L5/S1. The surgery went well, but the herniation was so severe I am left with a crushed nerve at S1. Has anyone ever heard of a crushed nerve regenerating? I am a truck driver for a moving company and would sure love to be back to work soon. My surgery was 6 weeks ago, and at my last Dr. appt. I was told 5 more weeks off with no therapy, and meds changed to darvoset, mobic, and neuorotin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Greg.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Jimmy the saint HB User
Re: Anyone have info on a crushed nerve at L5/s1?

[B]How long ws the Nerve crushed, Are you still having pain? If yes are they the same as before your surgery?

JTS[/B]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Dealing in Pa. HB User

The nerve was crushed for approx. 3 months, I am still having pain, the pain is different than before surgery, lesser in severity, out of the leg, and centered in the area of the surgery. If I use my leg any length of time, the pain will start to climb down the leg again. If I set for a while though, I can make the pain subside to the back again.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
it can take up to a year for the nerve damage to heal, the good thing is that 3 months is a short time, although it might not seem like it. Mine was like that for oh about 12 years, no hope after that long, but there is for you Be patient, it will heal in time
shelley

Old 03-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
(female)

confusedpatient HB User

Greg,
I'm recovering from my 2nd surgery in 12 months, rehurniation was pretty severe. Anyhow, I wanted to tell you that I didn't notice a huge improvement until about 6 months the first time. I had several instances where the pain moved around, from shin to thigh, sometimes foot. Once you get the ok to start PT, make sure you stick with it. I made a better effort this time out & it seems like I'm not taking as many pain meds as same time last year. The Neurontin really helped with nerve pain if you can tolerate it. Just be cautious about how you take it, especially tapering down when you go off it. Hope this helps-this board is great for info.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Dealing in Pa. HB User

Thanks for the reply folks, I am currently not able to work at all but hope that soon things will look up. I guess everything happens for a reason and this is just a minor set-back!

Closed Thread