It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

Valley HB User
Thumbs up Spasms after surgery

Hi, I am having back spasms 9 days post op when I get up, and they almost make me fall, anyone else having this problem, or had this problem, and how long does it last. I do have med for spasms. But other than this I am feeling alot better, still have some pain after activity, but nothing like I had before surgery. I am so optimistic that I am going to be back to at least 75 or 80% better, I just can't stand it. I had lots of people praying for me, and a wonderful surgeon. Valley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Jimmy the saint HB User
Re: Spasms after surgery

What did you have and what kind of surgery did you have. Are the pains similar to the pre op pains?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
(female)

Valley HB User

I had a PLIF, no the pains are totally different. I think it is from the incision site,

Old 03-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User

Valley,

I am about 5 weeks post PLIF 2 levels. The muscle spasms are particuarly fierce

Mine start at night when I go to sleep. They are so severe that I'm almost literally lifted off the bed and the pain is horrible. I usually wake up about 4-5 times a night screaming, and as soon as I change my position, it goes away.

Other than that, I don't have the same continuous pain that I had before my PLIF. I can actually have an hour where I feel very comfortable. I have to keep moving. The minute I stop moving, the muscles start their thing

Do you have alot of swelling around your incision? I feel like I am sleeping on a brick.

Lea

Old 03-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
(female)

Valley HB User
Exclamation Re: Spasms after surgery

Thanks everybody, I'm glad that this is normal, maybe as healing continues the spasms will cease also. I can sleep on my back, but can't see back there to see what it looks like, feels like a railroad track down my back. The thing that distresses me most is not being able to clean my butt. Other wise I am quite content to watch tv and get on the computer for a few minuets a day. Valley

Old 03-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Valley, I'm 9 weeks out from a 2 level TLIF, and I also had to deal with the spasms. Mine lasted for about 2 weeks, but I found that ice and Flexeril helped me, as well as changing positions frequently. If you let your muscles get stiff, they're going to protest more when you try to move. I had a lot of discomfort during the night at first, and sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees and changing sides frequently helped me. I couldn't sleep on my back or my stomach at all (still can't).

PsychLea, I had a lot of swelling around my incision for quite a while. It just went down a week or two ago. I felt exactly as you did- like I had a brick in my back. It's uncomfortable, but it does go away. And it's amazing how much better jeans fit when the swelling goes down!

Old 03-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User

It's great to hear everyone's perspective on things as we are all at different stages of healing.

Jessie,

It's good to know I'm not abnormal with the large lump on my back. I understand about the personal needs thing too. Still haven't made it to shave my legs Thank God it is too cold for shorts yet.

My son and DH are pretty good at putting on my socks for me and the rest I can manage. I still haven't been able to make much progress on housecleaning, but the grabber helps to retrieve laundry and we tag team the dishwasher. I get the top half unloaded and my son or DH unload the rest.

My house is a mess, but it will just have to stay that way

Lea

Old 03-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

In order to get a handle on your spasms, you might want to see if your doctor will prescribe you something like Flexeril or Skelaxin. Just an idea.

whackedback

Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #11
(female)

Valley HB User
Lightbulb Re: Spasms after surgery

I have Robaxin for spasms, I can only take one every 6 hours. I have Percocet and I can take them every 3-4 hours. I am going to make it everyone, thanks for all the support. You are the greatest. Valley

Closed Thread