HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   3 months after MVA, and MRI wording ?'s (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/261429-3-months-after-mva-mri-wording-s.html)

purplerain212 03-10-2005 09:05 AM

3 months after MVA, and MRI wording ?'s

Good morning everyone. I'm at 3 months post rear-end MVA, and just seem to be getting worse. My MRI shows various bulges and protrusions in the cervical and thorasic area. I also have mild stenosis C5-6 CAUSED FROMTHE BULGE/PROTRUSION WHICH IS FLATEENING MY VENTRAL CORD. i ALSO HAVE BULGES THAT ATTENUATE MY VENTARL csf. My sac's AP dimension is reduced to 7mm at C5-6 as well. I also have subtle hyperthropic changes at C3-4 with mild hyperthrophy involving the left and more so the right uncoverterbal joint. Does any one know what any of this means? I'm just trying to write down what I don't understand. Also there is mild decreased signal intensity at T3-4,6-7,8-9 which is consistant with desiccation. I also have another small focal right paracentral protrusion which indents the sac and attenuates the subjacent CSF. What does attenuate CSF mean? What does any of this mean? And will this stuff go away with rest and time? Why do I feel I'm getting worse as time goes by? Boy I sound like a 2 year old...why, why why? LOL! Anyway, if anyone has any kind of clue as to what any of this means please feel free! Thanks, Stephanie--PS I've seen a neurosurgeaon who does not recommend surgery and I'm going to a spine center in a few weeks, but just would like some answers as to what I'm looking at.

purplerain212 03-12-2005 08:02 AM

Re: 3 months after MVA, and MRI wording ?'s

C'mon now, someone here must know what something means! :confused:

mkf 03-12-2005 08:29 AM

I looked up attenuate - it means to narrow. CSF is cerebral spinal fluid.

carol632 03-12-2005 01:58 PM

I am not good at interpretation, but I can tell you that NO, it will not go away by itself. It might get better, or you might get used to the pain, but it is not going to be cured all by itself.
I have never heard of a neurosurgeon who doesn't like surgery....so I would be finding a new doc ASAP.

Good luck.

Carol

Pebble Beach 03-12-2005 02:19 PM

From your message, you indicated that you had mild stenosis. This basically means that the spineal canal where the nerves run through had decreased in size. Think of it like a straw, where the nerves run through the center of the straw. That is getting narrow and if severe enough can put pressure on the nerves causing pain and damage. You say it is mild so that is somewhat positive. You also mention bulges. To my understanding there is a difference between a bulging disc and a herniated disc. A bulging disc is out of alignment to a slight degree. A herniation is more severe. You indicate mild signal intensity was noted. In a normal spine think of it like radio waves. If everything is normal the sound should be at one level. If there are some changes in the discs as to the height of the disc that sound will change indicating some problem but from everything that I see you say they are MILD changes. everyone as we age will have changes within our spine from aging and a degenerative process. Not sure what else to add hope this clarifies things for you to some degree....Hope you have a pain free day soon......Allan