It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User
Started post-fusion PT today

I am 9 weeks post-op, and I started my PT today! It will be only aqua therapy for at least the first several weeks, but that's definitely enough for now. It was fun, and it felt good to actually do something, but I think I overdid it just a little. Of course, I have no one to blame but myself- I tend to be kind of competitive, even if no one else is. I kept looking over at the others, and going faster, working harder, and doing more reps than anyone else. I also have a tendency (not a good one, I know) to think that if I work harder, I will get stronger faster. As a result, I overdo it. Some advise for others- you have a ton of metal in your back, take it SLOWLY or you will pay for it! I am definitely paying for it tonight- my back is a little swollen and I am having pain in my leg. It's not enough to take pain meds again, but it's definitely letting me know what my limits are. I hope someone else can learn from my hardheadedness! (Is that a word?)

Old 03-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
(female)

texasmary HB User
Re: Started post-fusion PT today

Jessie, I also started water therapy... about two weeks ago. It feels so good to get in that warm water and stretch out my parts and pieces that have not been stretching for a while. I have another word of warning to others just starting water therapy. The therapist told me that I should drink lots of water because an hour in that warm pool takes a lot of water out of the body. I thought I was following directions, but I have also been taking meds for bronchitis, allergies, etc. Short story... I ended up in the ER last night thinking I might be having a heart attack. They gave me IV antibiotics and a lot of fluid because I was showing signs of being pretty dehydrated. So the moral of this story is... be sure to keep yourself well hydrated if you are doing water therapy.

Best wishes to all,
Mary in Texas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 04:20 PM.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Quietcook, I was evaluated in a one-on-one session with a therapist before I started the water therapy. However, once you're actually in the pool, there are 2-3 other people in there with you. We each have specially designed, individualized programs to follow, and the therapist continually checks on you. I tend to finish my exercises more quickly than the others, so I filled the time with extra reps. Oops. I did not feel any pain at all while I was in the water- it felt wonderful. I only started to feel the pain when I left the water, and as the day progressed I became more aware of it. Next time I will be more careful- I really learned from my experience yesterday! The weightlessness in the water was great though, especially when I got to do some deep water exercises with a flotation belt on. Thank you so much for your advice- it is much appreciated! Do you know when you will be able to start therapy? How have you been feeling lately? I cannot imagine what it must feel like to be fused at 10 levels- you are an amazing person!

TexasMary, thanks for the advice about drinking water. I never really thought about the pool dehydrating you, but it does make sense! Good luck in your therapy!

Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Congrat's Jessie

I'm so glad things are progressing!

and I will say it too!

DON'T OVER-DO!

BW

Closed Thread