It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

girl12345 HB User
Injections!

I am scheduled for injections on Monday. I was never really told anything about them. My doctor kept on telling me that I should get the injectons and I always refused. At my last appointment, I told him that my leg pain has gotten worst and he said that I really should get the injections. I told him I will wait. After thinking about it for a couple of days, I decided that I should get them. I called and scheduled them, but was never told anything about them. I just know what I read on the internet. I think that I am getting ESI injections, but I might be wrong. What can all of you tell me about the injections. I know that many of you have told me your experience with the pain and if they worked, but what happens during the procedure? I do know that I will be sedated. I am nervous, but know that this is the next step and I want to get better soon. Surgery is not an option for me at this time. I have been dealing with back pain for two years continuously. I have a herniated disk at L5-S1.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Injections!

They are going to stick a needle in ya. It is gonna hurt. I would insist on them using a flouroscopy if I were to have it done. But, I would think long and hard before letting them stick me with the needle. Ask to read the package insert and see it they let you read it.

Educate yourself. There is an on line publication, The Burton Report, that will give you loads of info on the shots.

You are putting poison in your body. Why?

The ESI's were never meant to be used in the spinal area. The company has a disclaimer.

Think of your other options.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User
Talking Re: Injections!

[COLOR=Magenta]hey girl12345, i have had injections more than i can count on different areas. it is very nerve wrecking at first because you have no idea what is going on. when i got them i would go a little early and was told not to eat for 8hrs prior. they will probably put you in a gown and then put in an ivy to put the sedation medication in it. that is pretty much the only sting from a needle you might feel. anyway you go into a room where there may be an x-ray machine that way the doc knows where to put the injection. once you have layed down they will give you the sedation med and you will not even know what is going on. i know i said some crazy things while i was sedated and don't even remember. lol. afterwards you go to a recovery area for a little bit and then usually you are free to go home. make sure that you have someone taking you and picking you up because you may still be a little out of it when it is time to go home. the next day you may be sore in the area where the injection was given and that is normal so you may want to just put ice. the doctors office should let you know everthing you need to know, so don't be afraid to ask questions. hope this helps. robin (girl75)[/COLOR]

Old 03-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
(male)

Disc HB User

[QUOTE=girl12345]I am scheduled for injections on Monday. I was never really told anything about them. My doctor kept on telling me that I should get the injectons and I always refused. At my last appointment, I told him that my leg pain has gotten worst and he said that I really should get the injections. I told him I will wait. After thinking about it for a couple of days, I decided that I should get them. I called and scheduled them, but was never told anything about them. I just know what I read on the internet. I think that I am getting ESI injections, but I might be wrong. What can all of you tell me about the injections. I know that many of you have told me your experience with the pain and if they worked, but what happens during the procedure? I do know that I will be sedated. I am nervous, but know that this is the next step and I want to get better soon. Surgery is not an option for me at this time. I have been dealing with back pain for two years continuously. I have a herniated disk at L5-S1.[/QUOTE]

Can u share your symtoms areas of pain and type of pain.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:16 AM   #5
(female)

girl12345 HB User

Disc,
I have had pain through the whole lower back for a long time. Sometimes it is a sharp or burning pain in one spot and other times it might be an aching pain through the whole lower back. I also have the shooting pain all the way down my right leg to my ankle. I also just recently started to get pain in my left leg, but I think that it is muscle soreness from not walking correctly.

Injured Betty,
I have been putting it off for a long time because of things that I heard about them, but I need to do something else soon. I am not a candidate for surgery because I am young and my doctor said that I will probably end up with more problems. At the least, scar tissue would form and cause a lot of problems. I have been on many medications for a long time and been through a lot of PT. I also talked to my physical therapist and he said that as long as I do not get more than 3 a year it is okay. I always end up hurting again. I need to do something else soon.

Thank you for the information!!

Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I have had 3 sets of injections in the S1 & L5 before I had to have surgery. The Hospital will put you in a room and ask you to change into a gown, then you lay on the bed and they come in and start an IV for the sedation meds.
When they are ready for you, they will wheel you into a room with a large overhead Xray machine and you will be asked to move over on the table and lay on your stomach, a nurse will be up by your head and the Doc will be adjusting the Xray machine.
Then you are given a light sedation and the Doc tells you everything he or she is doing, it doesn't take very long at all.
Then you will go to a room to rest for a hour and go home.
You will be very sore and possibly in more pain than you are right now for about 2-3 days, then the meds kick in.

I had a problem with my first one, and it's not likely to happen, but just in case: When they started my IV for my first set of injections, I was very scared and crying, I heard the nurse say she was afraid to flush the IV (if you hear those words tell them if in doubt MOVE IT!)I told them that the other 2 times and they did without a problem, anyway, when the Doc gave the OK for the sedation my vein blew, so I went through the first one with no sedation. However, they were very nice and tried to give me more hoping it would be absorbed, the Doc told me everything she was doing step by step, the only thing I felt was a tiny sting to numb the area and 10 minutes later she said she was done. There was nothing to be afraid of after all.

Yes, if you have too many they can damage the area, but your not allowed more than 3 a year to help prevent this.
The Best of luck to you,
Stardust

Closed Thread