It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
Inactive

Tiffrose HB User
Can PT fix a disc tear/discogram positive

can it actually fix my bulging disc l4-l5. disc is torn. discogram was positive. how can pt help. my l5-s1 is bulging also but not painful. what are my options now. should i go ahead with the pt just to see if it will work. already had a percutaneous discectomy shrinking the disc then heating it up. it didn't help. what now. thanks, jason

Old 03-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User
Re: Can PT fix a disc tear/discogram positive

PT won't fix a tear, from what I know.

In addition to the recommendation of Vibration Man, there's also steroid injections (temporary and major long-term side effects on your muscles/bones), IDET (controversial), fusion (BMP seems to be best of the types of fusions), and artificial disc replacement.

I was diagnosed through discography with an annular tear at L3-4, and had an IDET a year later (last July). My procedure was VERY successful to-date, and I couldn't be happier about not feeling 85 anymore!

I would go online and research EVERY procedure (op and non-op) you can get your hands on, and work closely with your ortho to ensure that whatever procedure you decide to do is the best for you.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

From what I have read, just the opposite is true.....rest will heal it faster, IF it will heal on its own at all. Have you done any research?

Carol
morphine pump

Old 03-12-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

From what I understand, annular tears cannot repair themselves because of the low blood supply received by the disc. Herniations/bulges can decrease in size, and disc material can go back into the disc, but I believe once the disc is torn it's torn. It doesn't necessarily cause permanent discomfort though. PT may help you strengthen your core, which will provide support for your back. As someone already mentioned, epidural injections may be an option for you as well. Surgery should always be a last resort. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Research this because from all I've seen they can heal on their own..
Linda

Old 03-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

that's true at least in my case...i had extremely debilitating pain almost daily for 4 years, and was told my ddd at l4-5 would heal itself. after hearing that for the first 3, i said "no, it's not healing, so apparently there's another problem and you better find it." i was going out of my mind with pain, and 5 mris had just shown that ddd.

well, had a discogram in '03 that finally found what was my problem and that was a tear. my ortho, who works on the local nfl team, told me my options to fix and rest wasn't one of them.

that's not to say that rest and being careful don't do anything, but they just keep things from getting worse. with a tear, you have to do something else. i'm coming up on 5 years of this "crap" and am just thrilled i don't have the disc tear pain anymore (idet last summer). even if it's not permanent, i'm just happy to feel younger than 85 for a change. too bad i still have sciatica and si joint pain, but i'll take it!

take care, all!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Closed Thread