It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 01:17 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User
meds question

How many of you were able to go without pain pills or muscle relaxers after two weeks? I've read posts that indicated no more pain within a couple of weeks, but it's not looking like I'll be one of them. I'm just curious.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: meds question

If memory serves (which more times than not, it doesn't

...you had a hemilaminectomy, I was in considerable pain after mine for the 1st 2-3 weeks then it eased off.

I AM AMAZED when I read posts of other's who were virtually pain free the 1st week or so.

My hemilaminectomy was in '01 and while I did eventually recover from that, I have yet to be off pain meds due to continuous on going complications.

Go slow and walk, rest and hope for the best!

BW

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-11-2005 at 01:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 02:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User

You're right, I had a hemilaminectomy. I had a few really good days and the past few have been B-A-D. I'm up now in the middle of the night trying to get the pain under control and can't get comfortable. I've been trying to go from taking meds around the clock to taking them only when I need them. I haven't found what works for me yet - it's very frustrating. It's encouraging to know maybe after another week or so it could be better! I'm glad it worked that way for you.

I remember reading and also was told that I could hit a bump in the road after a couple of weeks and I'm definitely in that slump now. I agree, go slow, rest, and walk. thanks for your response. Becky

Old 03-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

Although I had a different procedure (IDET), I was painfree the following morning (which REALLY surprised me).

Unfortunately, I have 2 other problems (sciatica & SI joint), which will NEVER be fixed. So, I guess I'm in a similar boat re: meds. Sucks, don't it?

I agree with Becky - take it slow, and TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! Your health is the most important, just remember that.

Keep us posted...hopefully we can help or at least just be there for you!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 03-12-2005, 12:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha,

Pleeeaase...don't get me started. Reading posts about people being pain free the day after a major surgery really sets me off. Although I am sure some people are able to do this (not!), I believe that it is extremely rare. Although I have read a couple of posts from people who have claimed that they were pain free and were able to stop taking pain meds after only a week or two after surgery, I have found that the overwhelming majority of posts are like your post. We all wonder and worry that if we take prescription pain meds for more than a week, we will become addicted or be considered an addict. This is ludicrous and usually is never the case. I am still taking pain meds and I am over one year post op. I guess one could say that I am dependant on the meds, but I am not abusing them. Everyone is different, I would not stress out about this, your body will let you know if and when it is time to taper off of the meds. Donít use you name sake and rush your body, you only have one, let it heal in itís time table, not your minds timetable or someone elseís timetable, you will know, good luck.

HíC

P.S. I hope I didn't get to far off center here, I may have lit another tinderbox

Old 03-12-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User

No fire here! LOL I agree - I tend to try to 'rush' things. Also, I don't want to worry about becoming dependent but like I told my sister - when it's this kind of pain you don't really get any kind of high off the meds - it's totally different. I've taken Pamprin before and felt fuzzy headed but since my surgery taking percocet didn't really make me feel fuzzy it just worked for the pain. I'm not taking perc any more - just robaxin and vicodin and I've decided I'll be sure to take it every 6 hours or so whether I feel the need or not and I'll know when it's time to push it out a little later. Having the pain under control is so much better than trying to get it under control after it's run away with me!

I had an IDET 7 years ago and I remember having pain with it but nothing like this pain has been. I can only imagine what those of you have gone through with fusion. I do not ever want to experience it. I will take great care to make sure I don't cause myself to ever need one although the neurosurgeon says I probably will need one in the future.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #7

MKP HB User

I am about 7 weeks post of from a 2 level fusion. I still take a lot of medication and have had to go to the ER to get pain med injections. Most of this is related to the nerve pain in my leg. I have noticed that if I stay in a position for to long my back will tend to have a dull ache. I think everyone is different. Some do great and some don't. As for becoming drug dependent, that is the last of my worries. I need to be pain free first and foremost otherwise I can not do therapy or walk around. If I have pain all I will do is lay down and use ice packs which does no good.

Posterior Fusion L4-L5-S1 (January 28th, 2005)

Old 03-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I can honestly say that my husband was pain free after his two level neck fusion. He was sore from the incision, but all nerve pain was gone. He took less than ten of the pain pills that he was given in the six months since his surgery.

We fully understood that the surgery was not to stop the pain, but to stabilize the spine. We did not expect him to be pain free. But, to our amazement, he is painfree.

We were out of town this weekend, when a guy asaulted him, pushed him down and tried to rob him. Hopefully, he is okay. We are getting X-rays this week. But, he said that his neck is not hurting him. He has a lot of scrapes and bruises, though.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

Haw'n Carl - If you were referring to my post, I take NO offense! I was surprised, and still am, that I still haven't felt my disc! But I have to remind myself of 2 things - other problems still around, and that this "relief" may not ultimately last.

I had to respond to family concerns re: my medication-popping (also known as the "prescription cocktail"). I specifically asked when 1 of them was going to offer to make the daily 3-hour flight up to bash me over the head with a 2x4, b/c that was the only other option I knew of. Needless to say, I think my mom was finally rendered speechless!

Plus, even though the disc pain is still gone, my SI joint and Sciaitica have been BRUTAL the past 2 months!!!!!

Betty - I'm SO SORRY to hear what happened!!! Please let us know that he's okay! Take care, Paige
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Last edited by Rampage; 03-14-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 04:32 PM.

Closed Thread