It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Hello!

Just a quick note:
The move went well, and I am still doing fine from my fusion. I have met with a new dr about my neck, he thinks of course there is a different reason causing my pain, disc more than structure. I had a new MRI today and will see him again on Tuesday. I was offered my old job so I am happy about that and am planning on returning to work on April first, it will be evenings but that is fine. More calming. WE don't have internet right now at home but as soon as I get it I will spend some time here chatting some more, should be next week. HOpe you are all doing well-we'll talk soon!
Melissa

Old 03-11-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
(female)

Puddin HB User
Re: Hello!

MEL!!!
Been thinking about you. Sounds like things are going really well. SOOOO GLAD! Take it easy. You deserve it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Mel,

It's so good to have you back. We've missed you. Hope you get the net soon. Maybe this new Dr. will take your neck problems seriously and get you some relief. Congratulations on getting your old job back.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Memaw

Old 03-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Welcome Back Mel,
Glad everything is going so well for you.
It'll be nice when you can get your internet back on. I've missed talking with you.
Stardust

Old 03-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

What all the others say!!!!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha Mel,

Sounds like things are looking up for you, that is good news for sure. I guess I will have to do some catch up reading here as I am not familiar with what kind of neck problems you are having. I too have developed some neck problems as of late, sometimes getting a reverberating and profound “clunk” when bringing my head down from looking up, but more so just a constant and annoying pain in the neck if you will, (and I’m not talking about my homework either, that is a pain in another part of my anatomy ).

If I caught the jist of what you were talking about when your doctor told you it was no-related, my doctor didn’t even want to hear about my neck, since I am on W/C, if it doesn’t have to do with my injury, Fuhgettaboutit! So…since I don’t have any health insurance, and as hard as it is to do, I must Fuhgettaboutit, for now anyway.

The insurance company has put a settlement offer on the table and I think I am going to take it. What a decision though, I just started school, I will be on my own if I accept their offer. Woe is me, I still have not hired an attorney, and probably won’t either, I hope I am not going to regret this. Anyway, sorry, getting off the track, up to my old tricks again, sorry Mel, good luck with your neck.

H’C

Old 03-12-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

WELCOME BACK MEL!!!!!! We have missed you around here. Congrats on getting your old job back! I bet it will feel good to get back to work again. Be careful though- you might feel better but your body is not fully recovered yet (as I have learned recently ). Let us know what the results of your MRI are, and how you are doing whenever you can. We are all thinking about you!

Hugs,

Jessie

Old 03-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Mel
I have missed you on the boards
Wow it looks like things are getting a bit better for you. I am glad you found a doc to see you. keep posting. We will be glad to see you back on a more perm. basis.
shelley

Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
(female)

misery HB User

Hi Mel,Welcome back!!It's great that things are going well.Hugs Heather

Old 03-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

we FINALLY have internet again! I have missed it so much, and of course ALL of you! So, I saw my doc on Tues and like we BOTH already knew I had a small herniated disc at C5-6. He didn't agree with my neuro that I had any bone issues like spondy and the loss of lordosis. He said my neck looked fine aside from the disc. So, I am not quite sure yet about him. I did have an ESI today and that went fine, I can't look down or up with out a lot of pain, but it should subside by tomorrow. If not, I call my doc. I am now also supposed to see a sports med doc about my left shoulder. The spine dr thinks I have an impingement in my shoulder. I was a bit irritated that he rushed me a bit and didn't want to discuss anything else. I can't say he didn't want to, I probably wasn't persistant. We'll see. I will write all my q's down and give them to his nurse. I want to know if this small insignificant herniated disc is really causing ALL my neck problems. I have no idea now. So, I'll see the sports med guy then drop the note for the neck dr. I got to see my MRI but not the actual report, so where that is concerned I am clueless. In the MRI my neck looked like CRAP, not just the disc but the shaping of my neck.
Okay, well, we finally got an offer on the condo and are accepting it. That is a big relief. Hubby is still applying for jobs. I am concerned about going back to work full time right away, I may see about doing four hours first then work up to eight. Need to discuss that with hubby first though and talk to my disability people. I don't know if we can afford for me to only work a few hours at the start. We'll see. I got clearance to do low impact aerobics today from my Vegas dr, I have gained FIFTEEN POUNDS since Feb. I cried like someone died yesterday cause nothing was fitting me. I am so upset. We have no idea what the culprit is either. Stress, eating out all the time b/c of the move, new birth control, being inactive, having had come off the wellbutrin...I have no idea. But I need to lose it and fast.
I don't know if I will be able to hang out tonight for much, it hurts a bit to be on here, even though I am lying down. I will soon though, prob tomorrow. Hoping all is well for all of you, we'll chat again soon!

Old 03-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi Melissa,

So glad the move is over and that you got the job back. At least you are starting off with some good news. Won't say that the new doc is good or bad, because it's hard to tell just yet. You will know soon enough though and if he isn't a good fit, then you definitely know how to search and find another doc until one hears you.

Seems that everything you mentioned could have contributed to the weight gain. Heck, winter alone helps many of us gain as we aren't out and about as much. Glad to say I've lost some since the surgery, but after more than 12 hours of anethesia, nothing tastes great any more. I have plenty of meat on these bones, so I'm glad to have lost the 20 lbs - now the problem of keeping it off!!!

You have enough on your plate for now, so we understand if you can only drop in a short time for a while. Just keep us posted on how you are doing. Best wishes for better times ahead.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Hey Mel! Its good to hear from you. I am sorry to read about all of your recent challenges. As you can see from my recent postings, i'm back posting again... after being off the boards for awhile, I finally aknowledged that ignoring my issues was not making them go away

I see you are having neck issues now... but how is your back where the fusion was done? If I remember right we were "surgery twins" exept you had both a front and back incision and mine involved the BMP, but we were both mid-December. Is that healing well for you?? Hope so.

I am working, still only 4 hrs a day but at least I can do that. My boss is a jerk and gives me a hard time-asking when I can go full time, saying I don't pull my weight, etc..., but I think that even though it hurts to be there, the bit of "normalcy" I get is worth the pain (sometimes)

Well, its good to hear from you, and i'm glad things are beginning to settle down somewhat.

I doubt telling you to not worry about the weight would do any good (I can't fit anything either due to the damn brace) - but can sympathize... I found that jeans with some stretch in them are great, as are shirts that hit empire-waist style - at least it hides the brace and bone stim!!!

Take Care,
Michelle

Old 03-16-2005, 08:12 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hi Mel!!

Glad your back, glad the move went well, congrats on getting your old job back, thats great, hopefully your new doc can get the ball rolling on getting the problems with your neck taken care of.... sounds like things are turning around for ya..... Best of luck to ya!!!

Take Care

April

Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Melissa ,
It's great to have you back, even if it's just for a little bit at a time.
I know the weight gain can be a major issue. They had to take my youngest daughter off the Depo-Shot (don't go on that one !!) It caused her to gain 30 pounds really fast.
I haven't gained any weight=YET. But I have changed everything to fat free, including my yogerts which I sometimes have one for a meal to keep the calcium going.
Going back to work does great for the depression these stupid pain meds cause, so does sitting out in the sun for an hour a day.
I'll keep my fingers crossed about your neck pain and hopefully they find it is nothing serious and maybe can be fixed without surgery. Ya never know what some Doc's can come up with these days.
Take care and take things slow.
I am moving next weekend so I'll be offline for a short time as well, but I am not doing anything, everyone else is packing and moving things for me, it's only 1-2 miles down the road, it's also owned by a Doctor, but there are 2 FULL BATHS there, so I can soak all I want and when I shrivel up to a prune, have hubby pull me out, and then jump back in again , ya know how long it's been since I have had a tub, right? Now I'll have TWO!! .
Did you fly there? I asked because I want to fly to Montana on April 30th and surprise my son for his 25th Birthday. I've never flown before so maybe later on you can give me a few pointers, I got the wheelchair thing down pat, but don't know ANYTHING about flying .
Get Plenty of rest and we will be here for you whenever you can pop in and out .
Stardust
(Terri)

Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks everyone. I wrote my questions down for the dr and will drop them off tomorrow since the sports med doc is part of the same group. Hopefully I'll get my questions answered. If he won't do that, then I am off again to find someone who will. But I won't get ahead of myself this time, I will give him the benefit of the doubt, for now.
StMisl, I am doing pretty good. I have pain but no where like it ever was. Now my neck, shoulders and upper back hurt more than my back, which is how it should be. I actually refuse to wear my brace under my clothes. I guess I want people to see the brace and my real figure??? Who knows, so my shirts go under it and it goes over my pants. I am so used to it now it just hurts when I have to wear it for long periods of time.
I will be getting a new set of xrays mid april to send to my Surgeon and then he will decide if the brace can come off for good. Gosh I sure hope so, it really does interfere with how I dress (like how it pushes my pants down and I get droopy butt ) and I have to keep pulling the butt of my pants up. Annoying but my choice.
I'll let you all know how the appt goes tomorrow with my shoulder. Did you know this is where it began? First a shoulder dr, then the ortho, then neuro, this time is started with my neuro for surgery, then ortho, then shoulder doc. How odd. Doubt he'll find much......

Closed Thread