It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

Better Late HB User
Thumbs up Surgery Over, I'm Back!!!

Hello everyone,
Well, surgery is over (3-4-05) and I'm home from the hospital after spending 7 days there. Had a few complications: blood pressure kept dropping, electrolytes went crazy, ran a high fever, red blood count and oxygen sat. were way too low. I had to end up getting a blood transfusion, although my surgeon said I didn't lose much at all during surgery. No one could find a reason for the low hematocrit. Any way everything finally stabilized and I
began PT. It was quite a rough weekend. The pain was pretty bad also!!(mostly back spasms at first). They wanted to keep me one more day but my HMO wouldn't authorize it.
I'm not in a position to decide whether I'm glad I did it yet
Anyway, Valley, I'm glad your surgery went well.
Getting tired of sitting so will post again soon
Myrna

Old 03-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Surgery Over, I'm Back!!!

Hi, myrna. I don't think I've written to you before, but I wanted to tell you that I am glad things got straightened out. I'm assuming you had a fusion? It's always good to get home, but be sure to take it easy and rest a lot. If you follow orders, I hope you will have a quick recovery without any further complications. No one needs that. The worst time I ever had was when I got a kidney infection after being straight cathed and was in the hosp. for 17 days. I was a really sick cookie that time.

Hope it is smooth sailing for you from now on.

Good luck, and God bless.

Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

Judith59 HB User
Talking Re: Surgery Over, I'm Back!!!

Hi Myrna!!!!!!!

So glad to see you're back! I've been thinking about you a lot, and hoping you are doing well. Sounds like you have a few problems but I hope that is all behind you and there's only good days ahead.

I'm still counting down to my surgery, still very anxious to have this over with.

Keep me posted on how you are doing!

Judith

Old 03-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 05:35 PM.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Welcome back I am so glad that is all behind you now and hope your feeling good as new soon. Looks like you had quite an adventure in the Hospital. I spent 6 days and thought I was going crazy in there, I am so glad to see you are at home where you can get LOTS of rest.
Take Good care & God Bless,
Stardust

Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Welcome home.. Glad you surgery went well.. I know you have not seen me post here but I just wanted to say welcome home, and I can only imange how it yucky it was stay in the hosptial for 7 days. I am only supposed to stay in one night, I can't image 7 days. Wow! Good luck on recovering... Tracy

Old 03-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #7
(male)

jpecot HB User

Welcome back and congrats

Glad to hear your doing alright now and are at home. Take it easy and keep us updated on your progress

~Jim

Old 03-12-2005, 07:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your rough time in the hospital, but you're on the other side now. Get lots of rest and take care of yourself. Keep us updated when you feel up to it!

Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Myrna
Wow what a begining I am so sorry that things went that way for you. Maybe all the bad stuff is now behind you and only good things will come. Glad to see you are home and atleast feeling well enough to check in.
We are all here for you.
Talk to ya soon
shelley

Old 03-12-2005, 08:20 AM   #10
(female)

kt41577 HB User

I'm sorry to hear the rough time you had in the hospital, but I'm glad your home,and able to start your recovery-my thoughts and prayers are with you...keep us posted... take care...

Old 03-12-2005, 09:01 AM   #11
(female)

Valley HB User

Welcome home, Better Late, sorry about the rough time in the hospital, but things should start to be better now, I am still on Oxygen, maybe Monday I can get rid of this. Feeling good for the most part, still having some spasms. Lost about 7 pounds, but that is a good thing. Maybe, I'll lose a few more, since it's not as easy to get to the kitchen, and my hubby will bring me fruit instead of junk food. So. glad to have you back. Valley

Old 03-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #12
(female)

misery HB User

Better Late.I'm so glad things are better.I do hope they keep right on improving for you.Just take everything easy.Don't forget the docs instructions to the letter.Sending good thoughts your way!!!Heather

Old 03-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #13
(female)

Better Late HB User

Hi all!
Thanks so much for the prayers and good wishes. I will give a play-by-play when I have a little more energy. I don't have much appetite yet so kind of weak and tire very easily. I went out to the store with my husband yesterday nd was pooped for the rest of the dAY. It's' almost like things are surreal, Also, my pain meds are not working very well. I will call Dr. tomorrow,
Will post again later. God bless you all!!!
Myrna

Old 03-14-2005, 01:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Welcome Home Myrna !!!

So glad it's over and your HOME!

Sorry to hear of all the complications

hope your resting and your pain is less each day

BW

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-14-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 AM   #15
(female)

Better Late HB User
Angry Re: Surgery Over, I'm Back!!!

Hi everyone!!
Well after being in excruciating pain all day Sunday, and my husband tried everything he could think of (bless him!), he called the dr. on call at my dr's ofc. GET THIS! His PA on call told my husband to give me 3 Tylenol #3, and 2 Soma tabs and ice front and back and that's all he could do for me!
By this time I was sobbing in pain but tried it anyway with no effect.Then took 2 Darvocet-no help at all. He finally bundled me up and took me to the ER. After explaining to the nitwit clerk (who didn't have a clue) they sent in another PA who took a fleeting glance at my back dressing only, ordered what she said was 2 mg of morphine, and sent me for a CT scan. I also told pa had no bm since Thur, (which I had already taken Senokot-S Which they used in hosp.) Anyway, when CT scan result was given to me HRS LATER, they said it showed POSSIBLE inflamation around spinal cord, gave me a shot of Decadron (steroid) Finally the njrse said Debbie (the PA) would come talk to me. After several more hrs she came and said nothing was on the ct scan, I probably overdid things. She would order a double dose of Morhine and go home and rest!! My husband who is much more easgoing sometimes than me was trying to confort me. But I was allready getting dressed to leave. ( didn't want anymore placebo treatment and acting as if I was drug seeking). Hubby convinced me to wait for the shot and at this time maybe they had put a little morphine in it. Anyway, we left after 8 or so hrs there. I called my dr's office when it opened at 8:so and he told me to come in to see him that day.
To make a very long story even longer- he said he got the ct scan from ER there was inflammation and i had been released on WIMPY meds from hosp. Now I take OXcontin am and pm, with percocet for any breakthrough pain. and medrol tapers x 5 days. Am only allowed out of bed to walk a little and to Bathroom. The Oxycontin actually allowed me to sleep all night with NO PAIN!!
Thank you God and DR.Park
Post again later
Myrna

s

Closed Thread