It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

texasmary HB User
Question Antibiotics before teeth cleaning?

Hi all ~

I brought this question up a few weeks ago and got a few responses, but I'd like to bring it up again and see if anyone has a similar experience to share. After two friends with hip/knee replacements told me that I would need to take antibiotics before having my teeth cleaned (now that I have hardware in my back), I asked my surgeon about this a couple of weeks ago. He said no, that only people with total joint replacements needed to prep with antibiotics. Then when I went to the dentist the next week to have my teeth cleaned, the office manager asked if I had taken my antibiotics. I told them no, that my surgeon said I didn't need to. But here is where I begin to wonder about things... I had been battling flu/bronchitis stuff for a couple of weeks before my dental appt... I thought it had cleared up before I went to the dentist... and then the very next day I had a relapse with the bronchitis and pink eye ... still fighting it with oral antibiotics and an eyedrop antibiotic for conjunctivitis.

Has anyone else had a problem with getting sick after having teeth cleaned? Has anyone been told to take antibiotics prior to dental work (because of hardware in your back)?

Thanks for any input,
Mary in Texas

Old 03-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mydogsobe HB User
Re: Antibiotics before teeth cleaning?

I just got my teeth cleaned yesterday and the dentist told me that when I come back after my surgery and have the metal in my back that I will have to be giving some kind of antibiotics before he does anymore work on mt teeth.
He also mentioned that it was good that I was having my teeth cleaned before my surgery because of getting rid of some of the bacteria thats in your mouth. I dont know if its true or not but thats what my Dentist said

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mydogsobe HB User

I would check with your regular Doctor first though

Last edited by mydogsobe; 03-11-2005 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added message

Old 03-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I was told that if I had dental work (of any kind) done within the first year after my fusion, I should take antibiotics prior to the appointment. My doctor said that after that period, I shouldn't have to do so unless I was fighting an infection. You must remember that you do have foreign objects in your body!

Old 03-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi ya TXMary
My doc and dentist said no need for antibiotics with my stuff. So I am good to go.
shelley

Old 03-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I have a SCS and haven't asked the dr yet but I have heard both sides of this some say yes and some say no I think it's depends on your dr, though from the research I have done everything leans towards yes antibiodics before dental work with any type of implant.
Linda

Closed Thread