It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Exclamation The Brace is back!

Hey guys ,
Well I went without the brace for 2 days now, and I am in so much pain I can't walk, sit or stand . The Lumbar surgical area is swelling up and very painful and turning red, I feel like I am laying or leaning back on a baseball . My Surgeon took me off PT for one week so my leg would heal.
It's Obvious I still need support, now I am back on pain meds, it feels as though my spine is moving around a tiny bit causing the pain.
I was pain free and it felt great, but I decided (not him-[B]ME[/B]) that I need this brace for somethings and others I may not, so I am going to wear it until the pain goes down again and the swelling, and work with my PT about what I can do with and without it.
My leg pain is gone still, this morning I found a large lump on the hip where it had been so painful before he did the injections (he said it was Bursitis). I have to agree with him now as I can feel the fluid in there. So if I don't take it easy it will just come back.

I have a question: Do the Surgeons get the BMP from the hip or anywhere else to put on the sponges inside the cages? My leg never did this before and I was wondering if that might be why it got so bad I couldn't walk anymore, any idea?

Mel-Now it's my turn to move, in 2 weeks actually, but only down the road, I will still be living in a house here in the Shores, only this other house has 2 full baths, so I can soak in 2 tubs now till I wrinkle and can't get out A doctor from up North somewhere owns this other house, his name is a mile long, of all the homes out here I seem to keep finding the ones owned by Doctors. I remember 26 years ago when this subdivision was brand new, Maybe this is where all the Doc's bought homes then moved on.

I hope your getting settled in and not trying to overdo it.
Stardust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: The Brace is back!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Quietcook ,
Thank You for all the information. When my Surgeon did the injection in my hip with Novacaine and Cortisteriods it was already to the point I could not walk at all, just stepping down caused severe pain from the lower buttock, across to the left hip and down my leg. That was 48 hours ago he did it and today it is just now feeling better .
My Doc had to help me onto the table and to lay down and then had to pick me up and sit me upwards, I couldn't do it, it was a searing pain like I never felt before .
I have an infared long handled massager as well, and with all the attachments, it's packed up right now, but I never thought of using it for the hip, I think I will tell PM about the hip Monday as well.

The Surgeon said it is from doing too much, he wanted me to keep it off and learn to work those muscles, which I will do, but I am also going to wear it around the house where I do alot of reaching and bending. I know now I REALLY need the support when I am active .

No, he didn't use any bone from my body anywhere, I thought maybe he might of used a needle to draw out some Bone Marrow that I didn't know about, causing the hip to rapidly get too were I had to actually be carried and put into the caravan and even as large as those doors are, I could not get out by myself, even holding my thigh really tight (it seemed to help), hubby had to help me get out of the van door as far as possible and then put the walker in front of me and he would help me try to stand (I had to hold that leg up, it hurt [B]THAT[/B] bad).

Yes, I will-for sure! I already have help packing, I don't have to do much of anything unless it is my hieght and then someone else closes the boxes and moves them for me. I can't wait to have a bathtub again, even if I need help getting in and out for a little while, I think the hot water will release some of these spasms I have again .

Stardust

Old 03-13-2005, 04:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I had a laminectomy with my fusion. The residue from the laminectomy was mixed with the BMP (made in a lab) that was put on sponges and laid on either side of my spine. No cages and no hip graft.
fly

Old 03-13-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Stardust, sorry to hear you are in pain again. You may need to wean yourself from the brace- that's what my surgeon told me to do. Your back is used to the constant support now, and it's kind of shocking to your muscles to have that support suddenly taken away. If your surgical area is swelling and turning red, I think you should talk to your doctor just to be on the safe side. For now, try using some ice on it to help reduce that pain and swelling. Hope you feel better soon!

Old 03-13-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi ,
Well, My hip is feeling a little better this morning, but there is just enough pain to make sure I baby it today as well. My Dad stopped by, he was telling me that anytime you have surgery near a bone (not abdominal surgeries) that it will effect a joint close to that area for a very long time. Don't know if that is what happened in my case or not, but I do know Bursitis hurts like h***

The Surgeon did not want me to "wean" off the brace, he flat said to get rid of it. But he's not feeling what I am feeling. I will work with PT about it and only wear it when I am doing something longer than a few minutes. There is no way to "cold Turkey" a brace.

I restart PT in the morning and I am sure looking forward to this visit, it always ends with the pool therapy and that feels great. I know this week will be a nightmare on my back without the brace, but there are somethings they do that they prefer the brace being on, as not to hurt or damage anything.

And yes, if my leg & hip does this again I am requesting an MRI to make sure he isn't guessing.
The ice and heating pad helped alot, I woke up this morning and it's no longer red and the swelling is only a tiny bit, barely noticeable.
Stardust

Old 03-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
(male)

jpecot HB User

Stardust,

Glad your feeling better and I'm also sorry to hear you got into so much pain again. That's just shows you how different Dr.'s are on thier orders. Mine was the same as Jessie's with the weaning off process. I'm not wearing mine when I sleep, but still wear mine during the day. I have walked around at night, with restless legs, without my brace and I start to hurt. I don't think I would want to go cold turkey either

Please take it easy and slow down !! And especially on this move, don't overdue anything, please.

Keep us updated and let us know if things continue to get better again.

~Jim

Old 03-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Don't take that brace off until you are moved in the new place! At eight months I still put mine on from time to time---for a long drive or to shovel my car out when it snows.
fly

Old 03-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hey Guys ,
Well it's 5 1/2 weeks now, so I test drove my car. WOW , felt great, all I need is a towel rolled up at the bottom of the brace and everything will be good . Sure is nice to drive again, but I don't dare try it without the brace, I'm afraid of any spasms causing an accident.
But at least hubby will have a break. And I can drive myself to Therapy a mile down the road.
I found I could get in and out of my car (olds cutless supreme, sport) better than the caravan, I think it has something to do with the difference in the seats.
Stardust

Closed Thread