It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #1

vickic HB User
What have I done to myself???

Hello everyone! I am in serious panic mode right now. About 5 1/2 months ago, I had a microdiscectomy. Since then, I have not been in true pain, just some soreness, stiffness, occasional leg pain that goes away, nothing serious. I went for pt for a number of weeks and have felt GREAT for the last 3 weeks. Well this morning as I was drying my legs off with a towel after my shower, I suddenly got this horrible pain in my back. Since then, I have not been able to stand up straight. The pain is too intesne. I do not have pain when I sit or lie down, just standing/walking. I do not currently have butt or leg pain. I have taken advil and tylenol. I have been alternating between heat and ice, but I am not getting any relief. If I am still in pain tomorrow, I will call the doctor, but until then I will be in a full panic. What have I done???????

Old 03-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User
Re: What have I done to myself???

Sorry for the pain you are going thru. Not sure what is causing the pain. Agreed you see doctor if it doesnt ease up by tomorrow. Let us know how you are doing. Hope you have a pain free day real soon.

Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Dealing in Pa. HB User

I had micro-diskectomy myself 8 weeks ago. I am dealing with a crushed nerve, which I do not think is your problem, but please see the doctor asap. You may have herniated your disk at the insicion site. I don't want to frighten you, but please be checked asap. gods speed and I hope I am wrong.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Oh Vickic, so sorry you are having this bout of pain!!! The good news is that you probably didn't do anything. The bad news is that you need to get to your doctor tomorrow. Call them as soon as they open and let them know you are in pain, asking that they work you in as soon as you can drive to the office. Not trying to scare you, as it could be very simple to fix, but if it is another herniation, you don't want to be like this for weeks. Whether simple or not, take care of it now.

Just to show you that you don't have to have done anything, when I had my first bout with the back I had never before had any back problem, and I had simply gotten out of the bed when my legs collapsed and I lay writhing in pain on the floor. Could not stand up and had to be carried to the car. After the discectomy, I was great as soon as I woke from the surgery and all went beautifully. Oh what a relief! Then at 5 months, WHAM!! Again, was not doing anything but I was again in massive pain, and unable to stand on both feet. Could be out of pain if I kept my left leg up with no pressure but how many of us can stand around all day like a crane? Yep, I had another bad herniation, and again it ruptured inward toward the cord and put pressure there. It can just happen to the best of us and we don't always have to do something right then to cause it. I'm sure that my years of hard work and my tendency to lift more than a lady should, had some impact but then why did it wait until my early 50's to have even one problem? No answer, so don't fret that you have necessarily done anything to cause it.

Please do see your doctor, and of course you know that if it worsens before you can see him, you should go to the ER.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #5

vickic HB User

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be on the phone first thing in the morning with my doctor's office. I'm sure he will be able to see me this week. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Vic

Hope this finds things calmed down - and your pain less.

Please let us know how you are & what the Dr's ofc had to say.

Bionic

Old 03-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #7

vickic HB User

I called the doctor from work first thing on monday. I actually spoke to him personally. He said he wanted to see me but only had hours this week on monday and friday. Since I was already at work (I carpool and have a long commute) I could not get to him on Monday, so I am seeing him friday. The weird thing is that the pain has subsided a lot. My husband thinks I may have been dealing with muscle spasms. Does that sound possible? Can muscles go into spasm for no reason? Anti-inflammatories and ice seems to be helping a lot. It just makes me nervous that the pain seems to be centered where my scar is. Hopefully, the doc will be able to give me some reassurance on Friday.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:12 PM   #8

vickic HB User

Well, I just got back from the doctor and he does not think I reinjured the disk. He is pretty sure that I pulled or badly strained a muscle. My pain is basically gone thanks to Lodine and ice. However, my lower back is still out of wack. It takes me a little while to stand upright after sitting for long periods. My upper back and shoulders hurt because I guess they are compensating for the lower back. He wants me to do another 6 weeks of physical therapy and then go back and see him.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

GREAT NES Vic

Now, you take it easy!!

Be Thankful that your ok and possibly some PT will help.

Glad it wasn't more serious

BionicWitch

Old 03-18-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi,

So glad you didn't do any damage to your disk. Know it has to be a relief to have that news, and good you went to see the doc. More PT will certainly help ensure things continue going well.

Great news for starting out the weekend!

Old 03-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I was hoping that it would only be muscular. I know how you felt. I had a micro in 2002 and was in a car accident three months later. I had the same pain all over again, like I had never had the surgery. Lucky for me, no reinjury. Just muscle spasms and nerve irritation. My doc told me that after surgery, the nerve endings aren't flexible as they used to be b/c of the scar tissue. So, when we have a movement that is sudden or not controlled (like bending to dry your leg/car accident/ slipping etc...) the nerves get pulled. The muscles around them spasm as a protectant for the nerves. Basically, it sucks, but that is why we have to be so careful. Mine finally subsided too, but it took a long time, almost a year. I am just glad to hear you had no reinjury!

Closed Thread