It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

aerorules HB User
Neurosurgeon appt...

I am going to my neuro. this week for him to check to see what is going on with my leg. I had a microdisc/lamin. last Nov. Both of my legs were in pain before the surgery. I had a central and right herniation of L4-L5 and previously had a herniation on the left side at the same level which I had the nucleoplasty on before my microdis. The left side was tolerable but the right side and the leg pain in both legs was finally unbearable. To make a long story short, I felt great for 2 months following surgery. I couldn't believe it, I did not know what not having pain felt like (as I am sure alot of you can relate) Now, my right leg is still doing well, just some butt pain and big toe pain, but my left leg is killing me. It is hip, groin, front, inside/outside back of thigh, calf, and big toe pain along with tingling the whole way down including the bottom of my foot. I had an mri and the nurse called and said it looked like I had a herniation on the left side that migrated downward and is catching the nerve at a different area. Has anyone had these symptoms from the L4-L5 disc? I ask because I also have bulges at other levels. Can the mri definately show the level that is causing the problem? I never had this front of the thigh pain over the last 4 yrs. Another problem I have now is shooting pain and pins/needle down my left arm when I turn my neck. I have always had a pain behind my shoulder blade but now it is radiating down my arm! Does anyone know what this might be? Sorry for rambling and complaining. I know there are many people much worse off than I am, but I was hoping for a good summer for the first time in a long time and am feeling like this is not going to be the year again for me. Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User
Re: Neurosurgeon appt...

See if you can schedule an EMG, if the first round of tests doesn't produce much (your initial will involve the reflex tests - manual, so no biggie).

An EMG can ID how superficial or deep your nerve damage may be, and if there are treatments, etc. I had 1 2 years ago, and mine was superficial. Turns out, mine went away after 2 months.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

karenmo1 HB User
Re: Neurosurgeon appt...

Hi,
I am thinking I need an EMG as well. I have herniated L4-5 and have had 4 epidural injections. The last one did not even last 24hours.

The pins and needles in my calf and also muscle pain are getting unbearable.
My night after work, I can only stand 2 min. or so. This has really affected by everyday life. The pain management doc. said he can;t do anything else.
I feel so lost. I am now trying accupuncure. Only been 3 times and no big answers yet. Any other advice. Had herniated disc with left hip bursitis for two years. Surgeon says I do not need surg.

Closed Thread