It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
(male)

Ed276 HB User
MRI Test Results?

I was in a tractor trailer roll over accident in Nov. of 2004. I have lower back pain, hip, buttocks and leg pain. I went for an MRI and was told I have arthritis.!? Here are my test results. Can anybody tell me what this terminology means?

Examination: Lumbar MRI

Impression:
1. Disk degeneration L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1.
2. No herniated disk or nerve root displacement.
3. Schmorl's nodes inferior end plate L3 and L4. These are of no clinical significance.

Last edited by Ed276; 03-14-2005 at 04:53 PM.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

soaplady HB User
Re: MRI Test Results?

Hi, I'm new here, too. I just got my MRI results back and showed arthritis at the L4-5 level. I had an injury last October where I fell directly on my left lower back during a strenous mountain hike. I'm seeing a pain mgmt doc on Friday to see what can be done b/c I still haven't resolved my SI joint injury from the fall. I think an injury can either cause arthritis to start, or make it worse if you had a little start with.

This stuff is all new to me. This was the first time I've had an MRI. I'm finding out fast that back pain is not so simple to treat!!! I've been through one round of PT so far, my insurance won't allow any more at this time (they said I can get better at home by myself What do they know. You can't believe what I had to go through just to get them to approve the MRI. Just horrible. They said my pain wasn't a reason to get tests or treatment.

I wish I could help you out more with your test results. I wish you luck in getting the proper treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

Here's what I have for you:

1) DDD is basically loss of fluid or height in the disc...it tends to be a "normal" or "typical" part of the aging process, but can be painful if progresses too far.

2) No herniation or root nerve displacement basically means your discs aren't bulging out (horizontally) to impinge upon the nerves that branch from the spinal cord.

3) Schmorl's nodes IS a herniation of the disc, but vertically (up or down) into the main body of your disc. If you recall what discs look like, the big fat circular portion (that's the interior portion the disc rests upon) is known as the Vertical Body. According to my research (I did have to look this one up! ), the cause of these nodes (or bulges, I guess is another term) is not known or controversial.

No "answers" or "solutions" per se, but hopefully this helps you understand what you have! Take care, welcome, and please keep us posted!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 03-16-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Hi Ed,

Welcome!

DDD is a degeneratice Disk Desease. I have it thoughout my Lumbar spine.

In essence your disc' have lost their "moisture content" thereby loosing their "cushioning properties" to the spine that they were designed to do.

If your not already familiar with DDD I strongly urge you to start researching this hideous disease.

It is degenerative in nature and there is no cure - all the more reason you need to be informed of what it entails.

Many people (usualy older) loose their disc integrity and have NO symptoms. Others may exhibit pain usually from progressive DDD that can and usually does lead to spinal instability.

The fact that your MRI showed NO nerve impingement, displacement is AWESOME best news someone with this could hope to hear.

What symptoms are you having and how severe is your pain?

I'm not familiar w/Schmorl's nodes...perhaps you could do a search on the internet ...or I'm sure one of the others here will know.

Stick around your get a wealth of knowledge from these boards.

again a BIG Welcome to you & to SoapLady

Bionic Witch

** just saw Rampage's post on the nodes!

see, I had NO IDEA they were herniations!

told ya' you'll learn a lot here

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-16-2005 at 01:35 AM.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:03 AM   #5
(male)

Ed276 HB User

thank you for reply
im having trouble with my whole spine.my dr. only gave me mri on lower back? from neck down i had real sore neck that made my shoulder hurt so bad down to my fingers i had to ice it every night for weeks it had me crying .i was in pt and he had me lifting wieghts 20lbs out my side up over my head then all of a sudden my lower back started just acheing i told him about it i have not touched a weight since couldnt get out of bed for about 3 days now i have a constant its like someone pushing a brick into my lower back altough i get up and feel pretty good within 2 hrs it starts coming on if i dont take a pill it gets so bad
my butt is like on fire and it does go all the way to my feet but no stabbing pain shooting down leg i talked today to w/c and im getting a new doctor the one i had was just a physical doctor for truck drivers. our company dr for drug test i still have arm pain down to hand my mucsles in my chest and abs get tight real bad when i told dr. about the wieghts he kinda got testy with me

Closed Thread