It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
Began Neurontin and doing better

Hi, I began the neurontin for nerve pain (had a crushed nerve from L4/L5 herniation that is taking long time to heal. has microdisectomy July 2004), and wanted to post how it went for anyone curious.

The first pill definitely made me high as a kite. The room was spinning. Now I am up to 3 a day. Right away, the nerve pain calmed down. I do have some breakthrough pain (level 10 stabs) once in awhile but that's all. My big toe still aches and can hurt sometimes.

Otherwise, it has definitely helped the pain. I am not limping near as much. ANd actually sleeping at night. Hurray! NOt waking with stabbing pain. I don't have to lay down every half hour due to pain and got back to the pool today and could do pool walking without any pain. Before taking the neurontin, I was limping so bad I could hardly walk some days. Still have some drop foot, but definitely walking better.

I do notice that I am still a bit dizzy if I walk fast and a bit out of it. Only been taking it a week, maybe that will get better.

For some reason, I want to eat constantly. It's as if the brain doesn't register now that the stomach is full and the feeling is that if I don't eat I'll die. I glanced in the mirror the other day and my eyes looked high as a kite. But I felt okay. Weird.

If I can't get the eating under control I may have to try the Topamax instead. I hope not, because the Neurontin has relieved my pain. There was no way I could continue to live with stabbing level 10 pain on and off all day.

Anyways, wanted to post in case anyone else looking at taking this drug. Memory isn't too good on it, but neither is it any good on the percocet and vicaden, and at least I haven't needed as much percocet now. Unlike some other people, I haven't been tired on the drug, but when I take one an hour before bed, I'm definitely ready to sleep. And that's great because I haven't had a good night's sleep in over a year. Seems to have helped my insomnia too, but I think that was due to constant pain.

I go for another MRI later this month to see if disk re-herniated and is on the nerve again.

As for this neurontin, the doctor said that not only would it relieve the nerve pain but it would keep the nerve from acting hyper, allowing it to heal. Does anyone know anything more about how that works?

Anyhow, thought I'd share if anyone curious.

Blessings to everyone.
-Ladybird

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Began Neurontin and doing better

Hi,
I am interested in how Neurotin is helping you since it's been prescribed for me. I'm too afraid to take it though. When you said that you got high and dizzy, were you able to still stand up? If it worked for your nerve pain right away I wonder if it can just be taken when it gets bad instead of on a regular basis. I'm still thinking it over as I need to be able to go to work and drive short distances. I'm glad it's helping you.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

I was presribed Neurontin a few years ago for herniated disks in my neck, but did'nt get much relief so I stopped, now I am happy I did not take much of it.
If you do your research, you will find that Neurontin caused pancreatic cancer in male rats in the lab. When I told my former pain management doctor this information he got very annoyed, and took me into his office and showed me the Physician's Desk Reference. He went on to tell me that he can't know everything about every drug, because there are too many!

He went on to say that he prescribes Neurontin to many of his male patients and now he is concerned about giving it to them. In other worlds, Neurontin is a drug he prescribes regularly, but he does not know about the possible side effects! I never went back to that doctor.

In addition, I read that the drug company that makes neurontin was fined because they paid doctors to push the drug as a pain reliever even though it does not relieve pain because they were not making enough money selling it as an anti-seizure drug.

I have chronic pain syndrrome, and the only drug my doctor will prescribe is Ultram and it doesn't relieve all of my pain, iespecially in the neck where I have heniated disks. I have been on disability for five years and cannot find a doctor in NY who will give me anything stronger.

What states do you people live in that are getting codeine and other stronger pain relievers besides Ultram from your doctor? I can't understand why I have to continue to have a terrible qualtiy of life because I can't get proper pain relief. Maybe I should go out of my state to be treated, because my insurance company told me several of their customers have complained that they can't get proper pain relief in New York,and they told me the reason is
too many people abuse drugs in this state. One of my doctors (neurologist)told me that she was afraid of lawsuits (she was giving me Ultram, and it's
not classified as a narcotic) so she told me she didn't want to treat me any longer, even though I was her patient for almost two years!

It's not only difficult to get the appropriate drugs, it's difficult to find doctors to treat me. I now how to drive one hour from my house to get treated by a pain doctor just to get Ultram! He will suggest any other drugs to take (like anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers) except the drugs that might really work, it's disgraceful.

I was thinking maybe I should get stronger drugs on an on-line pharmacy from Mexico or Switzerland, and still continue to see my doctor for Ultram,
but not tell him about it.

Any suggestions for me would be appreciated, I am near the end of my rope.

Thanks so much!

Old 03-15-2005, 04:04 AM   #4
(female)

kwise HB User

I started taking neurontin about 4 -6 weeks ago. It works about 1/2 the time and it does work on the nerves. I don't have the side effect of the eating alot but I most difinelty can't drive. I haven't been diganosed with a nerve problem yet but lo and be holed it has help some. I think it has different effect on people but I continue to take it. So hope that helps some. Good Luck

Old 03-15-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi ladybird
That just goes to show how meds work differently for different people. I could not take the neurontin, but am taking the Topamax and doing great on it. Some people hate the Topamax. I hope it continues to work well for you.
I know that Neurontin does tend to increase your appetite, but it is like a double edged sword...Do I get relief and suffer this side effect? Or not take it and be miserable??
Maybe if it keeps working well then you will be able to find a way to deal with the increase of appetite side effect some way.. Unless you are one of those LUCKY people who can stand to gain a few pounds. I am not and have to constantly watch the scale to make sure it does not go up up up and away.LOL
Good luck and keep us posted.
shelley

Old 03-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
(female)

Heavens no, I cannot stand to gain more weight! Hee hee. I will have to WILL myself AWAY from the fridge!

I have been reading about neurontin on the internet and am trying to get info about the lawsuit on it. Has it been found to be harmful?

I did read one thing that worried me. And that was that the nerves are affected by the neurontin so that eventually they no longer work. Does anyone know anything about that? that is not good if that's the case.

the way I feel on this med is slightly sedated, similar to taking a zanax before surgery. If I walk quickly (which is hard to do with a limp) the room blurs. My mood is actually better on this med, but I have severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, so I am appreciating the dulling of anxiety. I read that some people get suicidal on it, but frankly, I feel less suicidal (I was definitely getting there with all the pain).

I don't know what to say. I mean, I reached a point where the pain got so bad so often that I was crazy - screaming crying praying for relief. It was like being attacked wiht a butcher knife. I cannot live like that.

In answer to the first post, you do not stop taking it when the pain goes away. You have to keep taking it regularly. In fact, they want you to take it at the same times each day. And when you do go off, you have to go off gradually or it can result in serious side effects. Like you, I was and am still scared taking it. I would not drive right away. I've only been on it 6 days and would not try to drive yet as I am still a bit dizzy.

I worry about it's safety, but at the same time, I am so glad to have pain relief. What a dilemna. Anyone know anything more??? Are you going to take it?

Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

I've been on Neurontin for years, and they do work for me. I've been taking higher doses after my accident (was taking for another problem, b/c my neuro started pumping me full of anti-convulsants for my arm numbness!) to address nerve damage around my SI joint.

My nerve damage from the accident was like this: I could run my fingers up the outer side of my left buttock, and not feel it there but on the inner portion (really creepy). That lasted for 3 years or so until my PCP said maybe I should up it. Currently, it seems to have worked.

As for the increase in appetite, I've got so many other problems that make me nauseous (like migraines out the wahzoo!) that I just have gotten in the habit of just trying to ignore that. If that fails, I don't get to eat enough to make it a problem! God, I miss real food...

Good luck, and hope this helps you...
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Last edited by Rampage; 03-15-2005 at 07:07 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
(female)

Question: has anyone on Neurontin ever been able to get off of it because their nerve pain went away permanently and they no longer needed the med? The doctor led me to believe this med would be a temporary thing until the nerve heals.

Thanks for the info. I am so zoned out on this med that I just don't know if I can continue on it. But it has taken the pain away. So I guess it's a choice between being in horrible pain or being zoned out. I've only been on it a week, and hope the zonedness goes away after another week or so? Did it for any of you??

My husband just took me to the store to buy a scale so I can monitor my weight.

Glad to hear the neurontin helps you, Rampage. Will you ever be able to go off it? Can you be on it forever??

Old 03-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

well, it has appeared to help my nerve damage from the fall, but i still have my arm numbness, and that's permanent. i could get off it otherwise. the reason i'm taking this for the arms is b/c otherwise i'd be on anti-convulsants!!! for my arms!!!

so, i think that should be temp for any nerve damage, but the dosage is key i think. low dosage may not be enough...just make sure you work w/your dr to find the right dosage.

good luck!!!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 03-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #10

humptydumpty HB User

Hi ladybird,
I've been taking neurontin for over a year now. I had some side effects that were profound at first but then went away. I stil do have an increased appitite (sp?) but I just watch what I eat.I don't get that dizzy feeling much anymore unless I take an extra dose beause of severe pain. I do have problems with my short term memory though and this has been associated with the neurontin.
I have been diagnosed with chronic myofasical pain disorder and have hernaited discs in my thoracic and cervical areas of my spine. I get a burning pain between my shoulders in the middle of my back (T-8 T-9). The neurontin is the only thing that will help. I take methadone for pain and flexirel for muscle spasms.
There are a lot of people with a lot of wisdom on this board and we will try to help. Good Luck, Bruce

Old 03-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I am just curious, if you take methadone for pain, how do you know if the Nuerontin is working?

Closed Thread