It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Cool Re-Started PT Today!

Hey guys ,
I got to Therapy and my leg doesn't bother me anymore, but last night as I was putting a towel and swimsuit into my bag for the Therapy pool, I turned to see what hubby was saying and got a spasm over the surgery site so severe, it felt like my back locked up. I couldn't move.
I put my brace on and kept it on, I did drive there after all. Since it is right down the road, Driving was great I felt like a teenager with a new liscence!
I had to take 20 minutes getting in and out of the car, but it was well worth the freedom .
I got there today and told them everything the Doc said and gave them the new orders from the Surgeon on muscle strengthening. They looked at my back when I told them it hurt last night and where one of the screws are burns like fire and is a bit swollen.
So they decided for this week I could only do minor leg excersizes on my back (on the table) and then they hooked up a machine that has pads to stick to the skin and put them all over the lower back and turned it on. I had to lay there for 10 minutes while this thing put out a mild vibration and Turned my back into an ice cube.
They said "No Pool Therapy" until the swelling goes down.
So right now the ice helps the swelling, but is making the spasms worse. so I am dying to get back to the pool to relax the spasms.
All in All it turned out really good.
I know this is just baby steps compared to what most of you are doing now. But wanted to update you about getting back to Therapy.
Stardust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Re-Started PT Today!

Stardust,

"Baby Steps" are how all of us, get anywhere

Good to know your able to begin reclaiming some of your life back - I am sure the drive was a GREAT incentive and reminder that your on your way to recovery!

Sorry you had the painful episode as I'm sure you now realize you probably just turned to quickly & twisted things.

Is the machine they hooked you up to a bone growth stimulator?

I know how these things can be a setback (especially mentally) maybe you should just take a week off of PT and rest your healing body

Hope the pain has calmed by now
and your having a good day!

BW

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-15-2005 at 01:15 AM.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hey There ,
Thank You,
No, I don't know what a bone stimulator looks or feels like, but I don't think that's what is was.
Yesterday was my first day back after the Surgeon had me take a week off already for messing things up and the inflammation.
It's ok, but I DEF have to take things really slow. I never realized how little it takes for us to cause an inflammation!
Stardust

Old 03-15-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi stardust
I bet they hooked you up to a TENS unit, they usually feel pretty good. It is good to hear that you are doing things. I am happy for you. I hope each day gets better for you. Be careful with that twisting stuff girl! We do not want you to hurt yourself. Take care Stardust and keep telling us how well you are doing, tiny steps forward are still steps FORWARD.
shelley

Old 03-15-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi,
Yes, A TENS unit sounds about right. I really liked the ice cold part of it and the vibration wasn't bad either. Even though I would LOVE to get back to the Therapy Pool. I also have to realize it was MAJOR surgery. I thought I already knew that, but last night, just out of the blue, my brain said: This is your SPINE girl!
So as a Hyper person, that really hit home. I HAVE to learn to take things slower.
The Surgeon said I only have about 2 months left with him, as the fusion is going rapidly and very well. I still plan on going to Montana to see my new grandson. But now I realize if I don't take things slower and allow the people in my life to help me when they asked and stop being so stupid thinking I am superwoman, I won't be going ANYWHERE.
It's DEF me, everytime I get better, I manage to mess it up. But there are so many here with such severe problems, I need to be more grateful about my situation and go slowly even when my brain tells me otherwise.
I feel I can do anything, but my back stops me cold.
So I guess I am saying I have learned alot in the past 2 weeks and I don't know why, but it took this long for it to really hit me, that this is my SPINE I am playing with and if it's not ready to play then C-H-I-L-L O-U-T.
I Love you guys ,
Thanks so Much,
Stardust

Closed Thread