It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
(female)

heelsgal HB User
Question Different Level Problems after L5-S1 Fusion??

hey guys. i went to my first PM doctor visit yesterday. they put me on lidocaine patches, effexor, and darvocet. the effexor is making me sick to my stomach, but that's not the reason i'm posting. after i showed them where exactly down my leg is was hurting, they told me that it doesn't look like the L5 nerve path....more like the L4. i knew there was a chance of the disc above and below the fusion to become affected, but i had no clue it could be this soon. i am now 9 months post op. has this happened to anyone else?? i'm a little worried and scaried at this point. any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

heelsgal

Old 03-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Different Level Problems after L5-S1 Fusion??

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your continued leg pain.

You mentioned this was your 1st PM appt - was it your Surgeon who referred you? Has he already released you? perhaps if your concerned you could call Surgeon's ofc and at least speak to his nurse, see what she thinks ...and ask if he'd be willing to see you ~ possible it's not a new level involved but there's no sense being unnecessarily frightened of new complications or occurence of disk problems that may or may not be.

It is true you "can" have problems with adjacent levels, but not written in stone that you will.

If you've come this far and are now able to control your pain with the meds you mentioned your doing pretty well for being 9mo post op.

Think postitive and SO WILL WE
Call and ask - it can't hurt.

please keep us posted ~

BionicWitch

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-15-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 04:52 PM.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
(female)

heelsgal HB User

quiet and bionic...thanks for your quick replies. as for my surgeon, he refused to see me 3 months after my surgery. i mean REFUSED to see me when i called and my physical therapist called and said it was necessary. so since then, i have just managed myself i guess you could say. going to my primary care physician when i had flare ups and stuff. so as of right now, i have not had a surgeons opinion. i just got rescheduled for a different surgeon, but they wouldn't except my insurance. so i told them i would pay out of pocket and get reimbursed and they said they don't do that. so now that's why i'm at the PM doc. my old chiropractor referred me. they did test the L4 when i had my discogram done prior to surgery and it was normal. this whole "hurting again" just came up after new years. my back was doing so well and then just started going down hill quick. i guess that's why it alarmed me so much. so to make a long story short, i have no surgeon right now and don't have one scheduled. i am only going to the PM doc to try to be able to get by so to speak. thanks again for your help!

heelsgal

Old 03-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
(female)

nycgirl25 HB User

Heelsgal you need to take your records and your films to a new surgeon ASAP, where are you located maybe if you told us where you are we can refer some Dr's in your area, it takes up to a year to recover from a fusion and for your surgeon to have refused to see you is absolutely horrible.
I have not had this type of pain experience post fusion so i can not really comment on what might be helpful to you, but we can all help in maybe finding an adequate surgeon in your town/city

keep us posted

Old 03-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
(female)

heelsgal HB User

thanks nyc, i'm in chattanooga, tn. any help would be appreciated!

heelsgal

Old 03-15-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Check out spine.org.

Closed Thread