It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
(female)

v8euphoria HB User
Post Surgery Tomorrow for Me...

Hello fellow "spineys". Just wanted to let everyone know that I am having my surgery tomorrow, March 16, and was hoping for some well wishes and prayers. I am not real sure exactly what they will do, all I know right now is that there will be at least a laminectomy of L3/4. My surgeon says he will know more once he gets in there to see what it looks like. I know that I have bulging disks at L4/5 and L5/S1, as well as hypertrophy, stenosis and DDD. The main culprit for my pain is believed to be the herniation at L3/4. So I almost hope they do a fusion of all 3 levels to prevent subsequent surgeries due to instability. I know I am heading down a long road of recovery, but I am anxious to get my life back. I am a 33 yr old mother of 6 and would love to be able to do normal things with my kids. My 8 year old has her first play today but I am unable to attend due to pain. I don't ever want to miss this stuff again. I know I only have a 50/50 chance of success, but I also know that I am young and have had a succesful fusion of C3/4 in my past. So, any advice would be great and of course, well wishes and prayers are generously accepted!

Old 03-15-2005, 06:36 AM   #2
(female)

SadieNY HB User
Talking Re: Surgery Tomorrow for Me...

Hi V8

I am wishing you well hun I am a 2001 L4 L5 SI1 Anterior Metal Cages Lumbar Fusion Bone Grafting off hip and as well as from another source 6 day's in the hospital 7 and a half hour op. I did so well after I woke up the next day when my Doc came in I was crying now I hurt because of the op it is not a cup cake The reason I was crying and my doc got so upset he thought I was in pain was because I already had seen how much help it did to get my back fixed it was a shock to me.
I hope you have as much luck. I am not so great now about 2 years ago I started to have problems again but hey I had a couple of years with no pain well pain but not to the point I was reduced to a bed hopper and my life was taken away from me again.
I am going back in next month to have a little more work done things wear out and such.

Please make sure you have help for when you come home, do everything your doc tells you to do I am more than positive this makes the surgery work out far btter than if we jump right back to regular things we think we should be doing. Give yourself the time to heal let the body do what it needs to do and wear that brace I am sure you will get . I also had a walker I did not use it much after the 1st few days home I think more so because I felt like I was being weak. You will find little things such as trying to use the bathroom are not fun to sit down if you havent I would say get a toilet seat lift it helps alot. Use the pain meds it is proven we don't heal as well if we hurt. We all know what pain is or we would not be on these boards. Most of all as I say have support at home you have alot of recovering to do and from the sounds of it you will have alot of work done. if I had to do it over again the 1st time I would never have had part of my bone grafting taken from my hip that hurt worse than the cut from the Back op it's self I still have problems from it. Omg I hope I am not making you worry .

Anyway here is to you and a great outcome for you'r up coming surgery hun may you have your life back and be able to live it as you and us all wish we could

Last edited by SadieNY; 03-15-2005 at 07:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Surgery Tomorrow for Me...

You shall be in my thoughts and prayers today, tomorrow and the days to come.

Sorry to hear how many "Normal" things pain has prevented you of being a part of.

You have a VERY positive outlook on this surgery and you'll do well.

Many of us here fully understand the dramatic change in our lives due to pain.

I wish you all the luck tomorrow and will anxiously await to see your "I'm home" post.

Many Blessings & Prayers I send your way ~
Bionic Witch

Old 03-15-2005, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

hi there
good luck to you, i too am in my 30's with 3 kids and this stuff prevents a lot of things when i want to be a fun mom, but hopefully you will be on your way to recovery soon. Keep us posted and here is a prayer sent your way
shelley

Old 03-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
(female)

Valley HB User
Exclamation Re: Surgery Tomorrow for Me...

Hi, good luck on your surgery, just do as the doctor says, and take your pain meds when you start to hurt, don't wait until you are in really bad pain. Use your walker, and have someone near by when you are first beginning to get up, my legs would give way and I would almost fall, so be careful, and have someone to help you. Love, and Prayers

Old 03-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Closed Thread