It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

pkchop01 HB User
Unhappy sacroiliac joint dysfunction

I have been recently diagnosed with sacroiliac joint dysfunction.I have had a lower back problem for 12 years and someone finally diagnosed me. I am wondering if this is something that i will have for the rest of my life, meaning will it keep coming back?

Old 03-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

soaplady HB User
Re: sacroiliac joint dysfunction

Hi, I'm new here, too. I posted about this the other day:

I also been dx with an SI joint dysfunction, and my MRI showed I have arthritis in my L4-5. SI joint problems do not show up well on MRI's as I have found out. I am seeing a pain managment doc on Friday. I believe he will be able to inject a dye of some kind which will give an idea of what is going on. He will probably do some steroid injections to help relieve pain from that and the arthritis at some point.

I believe I may have arthritis in the SI joint in addition to the L4-5. Unfortunately, I'm fairly young to have this (44), but it does happen. I don't know if this is something that will always be there as far as the dysfunction, I guess it depends on if there's arthritis involved. I think you can manage the pain, but maybe never cure the problem.

They thought it may be a disc problem since I still have tingling and numbness in my buttocks and leg. I also have alot of sharp, stabbing pains in my joint area. SI joint dysfunction has some of the same symptoms as other back problems. I don't have any apparent problems (like disc herniation, stenosis, compression, etc.) except for the arthritis. Have they done an MRI to check for anything else? Having back pain is certainly not fun, so I can relate!

Last edited by soaplady; 03-15-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
(female)

soaplady HB User

Sorry for the double post

Hi, I'm new here, too. I posted about this the other day.

I also been dx with an SI joint dysfunction, and my MRI showed I have arthritis in my L4-5. SI joint problems do not show up well on MRI's as I have found out. I am seeing a pain managment doc on Friday. I believe he will be able to inject a dye of some kind which will give an idea of what is going on. He will probably do some steroid injections to help relieve pain from that and the arthritis at some point.

I believe I may have arthritis in the SI joint in addition to the L4-5. Unfortunately, I'm fairly young to have this (44), but it does happen. I don't know if this is something that will always be there as far as the dysfunction, I guess it depends on if there's arthritis involved. I think you can manage the pain, but maybe never cure the problem.

They thought it may be a disc problem since I still have tingling and numbness in my buttocks and leg. I also have alot of sharp, stabbing pains in my joint area. SI joint dysfunction has some of the same symptoms as other back problems. I don't have any apparent problems (like disc herniation, stenosis, compression, etc.) except for the arthritis. Have they done an MRI to check for anything else? Having back pain is certainly not fun, so I can relate!

Last edited by soaplady; 03-15-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

pkchop01 HB User

Thanks for the info soaplady! all the doctors I have been too in the last 12 years tell me there is nothing wrong with my back except that i have an extra vertebrae. i have tried chiro and it doesn't help! now my new dr wants me to go to physical therapy and if that doesn't help me they want me to do pain management. i have been in so much pain that is has become chronic cause no one has diagnosed me till last week! she gave me amitriptyline so i can at least sleep and i have the usual pain meds....flexerall and vicodin. i have an appt firday for a bone density test to see if i have osteoporosis or osteoarthritis. if, i am going to be going through all this for the rest of my life then i am going to try and get disability benefits i have missed so much work because of this....i have also been to a bone dr and a neurosurgeon and they have told me that nothing is wrong they make me feel like it is in my head you know? and of course the pain was gone when i seen both of these dr's cause they scheduled the appts so far in advanced.....like a month away! i need the doctor when i am in pain not one month down the road...

Old 03-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
(female)

soaplady HB User

I'm sorry this has been so frustrating for you. I totally understand. I am finding out that SI joint dysfunction is very hard to dx. For me, PT alone didn't work. I know I'm going to need some kind of steroid injection to really help with the pain. I had a severe bout of tendonitis 5 years ago in my wrist and joint. The only thing that helped was using ionpherosis (sp--I know I spelled that wrong). Steroids are delivered through the skin using electrical currents which go right to the problem. It's good for problems involving areas like the wrist, elbow, etc. The pain isn't far from the surface. It doesn't work for lower back pain, esp the SI joint (too far into the body).

I received my denial for more PT today in the mail....the ins. co. said I was *95%* better. They said I can treat myself at home. Wonder how they figured that since it didn't say anything like that in the PT report. They almost denied my MRI last week, but the doc's office had to convince them. It's crazy.

I guess they will expect me to deliver my own injections at home, too

Alot of times the docs want to try PT before anything else. I have extremely tight hamstring and back muscles, probably b/c of the joint injury. The muscles and tendons tend to *tighten* up around the injury, acting like a pseudo splint to protect the injury. The exercises are supposed to help you stretch out those muscles and gain strength. And, maybe relieve pain.

I also did modalities such as heat, ice, ultrasound, tens unit. Nothing helped for long, and I haven't had one single day without the pain.....95% better, right!!

My PT was the one who figured out the SI problem, the doc was worthless. He would dictate his notes in front of me BEFORE he told me anything about my test results, or did any eval (which was actually nothing). My PT has been wonderful.

I have also found that there are some days where I do feel better for whatever reason. Then, I think maybe I'm turning a corner. But, it goes right back to the pain. My doc kinda blew me off, but I KNOW what I feel, and I won't stop until I find the doc who will listen to me. I know there's something wrong, just need to find out what it is.

Keep me posted on how you are doing!

Old 03-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=pkchop01]I have been recently diagnosed with sacroiliac joint dysfunction.I have had a lower back problem for 12 years and someone finally diagnosed me. I am wondering if this is something that i will have for the rest of my life, meaning will it keep coming back?[/QUOTE]

There are several people here that have had or have SI dysfunction. I have it. I have been battling it for a long time. I jumped all of the hoops, PT, manipulations, anti-inflammatory meds, pain meds, walk five miles a day, Prolotherapy to tighten up the ligaments, MRI, CT, X-Ray and shots.

For awhile, I was pain free. I am going back for more Prolotherapy. The ligaments get torn or stretched out and there is no way for them to go back to the original position on their own. One can have Prolo or have surgery to tighten them back up, but that won't happen on it's own. The ligaments heal, but they never heal at tight as they were. If they are too loose, SI dysfunction, they you have to either learn to live with the pain, or do Prolo or surgery to get it fixed. I did three sessions of Prolo. Insurance doesn't pay for it. They would have paid for the surgery.

Think of your ligaments like rubber bands. With SI dysfunction, they are stretched out. They become weak. Your back gets involved because there is now slop in the bands. It pulls on your back, or doesn't hold your back in place. This causes the arthritis to start. Your back is trying to shore itself up. Arthritis is the bone spurs that develop. I have arthritis also. But, my MRI shows that it has stopped growing. It is still there, but is not getting any worse.

I fell on my butt since my last Prolo and caused the ligaments to tear again. So, back to Prolo. You might want to do some reseach on this treatment.

There are a few people on these boards who have had it done. Worked for some, not for others. Worth a shot if you have the money.

take care,

Old 03-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Hi, and welcome to the board. I have had the same problem with the SI joint. My pm was the one who diagnosed and solved it for me after 6 years or so of suffering. He did a procedure called radio frequency ablation which burns nerves and stops the pain signal. It really worked very well for me. That was 4 months ago and I am just beginning to have signs that the nerves are starting to regenerate. That's a little soon....usually it will be 6 months or more, but there's nothing "normal" about me, lol.

Just wanted to let you know that the pm may be your best bet for relief.

Good luck,
Carol
morphine pump

Old 03-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
(female)

confusedpatient HB User

Anyone know if back surgery causes SI joint inflammation? I never had pain there until about 2 months after a repeat discectomy. My PT thinks it's because my gait is stiff. He told me to exaggerate the hip rotation when I walk, like a runway model walks. Some days I can hardly stand up straight, other days barely noticeable. I'm considering taking Bextra for a short time to see if it helps. (I'm still having a good bit of nerve pain, too.) I had taken it for 6 months last summer with no problems so I'm not too worried.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
(female)

confusedpatient HB User

Forgot to add that new back pain is on the opposite side of where the disc was blown out. I occasionally limp on the bad side when nerve pain is bad. Maybe I'm just compensating with my hips?

Old 03-28-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
(female)

OV TX HB User

Hi, I have extremly bad inflamation of my SI joints. I was in a car wreck in 2001 & since then it's been he##!! Does anyone experience pain that wraps around your hip & goes around to the front of your leg. Like it starts @ the hip & stops @ the groning, it's extremly painful & hard to stop the pain. My doc said this is all related to the inflamation & also I have a lot of fluid on my hips. I take Celebrex & muscle relaxors and it still is horrible. I'm only 24 yrs. & this is something I know I will have to live with forever, but I hope someone out there can give some advice. I have read every thread on this, I found this website about four years ago. I have been through every procedure for this, cortizone injections, PT, Chiro, facet joint injections, MRI"S, bone scans, EMG and more. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 AM   #11
(female)

pkchop01 HB User

i am thinking about filing for disability under this condition. i also have spastic colon, female problems and depression. does anyone happen to know of anyone that has filed for disability for this condition?

Old 03-29-2005, 08:33 AM   #12

colleen b HB User

I had SI joint dysfunction. Please read my post from "back pain caused by zoloft." I highly suggest prolotherapy and some good old fasioned core training. Very important to read my post.

Colleen

Old 03-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #13

colleen b HB User

Prolotherapy and core training worked for me. If your si joint is not in the proper position you will continue to be in pain. Not only should it be in the correct positioon you must keep it there by strengthening the muscles that hold it in place!

Old 03-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

have any of you found your si pain is related to the temp at all? mine took 4 yrs to id, b/c i also have sciatica & an annular tear, and i found out just how closely mine is tied to the freezing point!!!

hope all of you are doing well!!!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Last edited by Rampage; 03-29-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:41 AM   #15
(female)

hazelnut HB User
Question Re: sacroiliac joint dysfunction

Prolotherapy and core training worked for me. If your si joint is not in the proper position you will continue to be in pain. Not only should it be in the correct positioon you must keep it there by strengthening the muscles that hold it in place!
Hi Colleen,
I just recently heard about these boards. I have posted a few things. Anyways, I had a 2nd opinion yesterday for a fusion and this dr. is not sure yet if this is the next step to take. He is sending me for a myleogram and a nerve conduction study. I know how these test are because I had them before my laminectomy. One is reeaally painful and the one makes me throw-up alot. Well, anyways he also thinks I have symptoms of si. He does not diagnose in this area, so whatever these test show and if he does not do a fusion, he says he is sending me to someone to see if I truly have si. What is prolotherapy and core training? Also, he says they can fit you w/ a brace to help if you have this? Do you have one? Does it help? I think who he is sending me to, is a pain management dr. The other surgeon wanted me to do this, but I do not want to pop more pills. That is when he suggested some do the brace. Don't you think there would be some surgical procedure to fix si? Do you have leg and foot pain w/ it? I do. I had injections before and they did not work. He said the ones he is talking about are different. They are epidural injections. Of course this is more drugs, but did you have them? Did they work? Also, I had bad side affects to the other. I think it was the steriods. Well, sorry for the long note. I wanted to tell you about a little bit what is going on w/ me? Hope to here back from you. NIcole

Closed Thread