It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 05:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
"FLY!" ~ >> Fosamax builds bone

Fly,

I saw your posted where you mentioned "Fosamax builds bones" that really got my attention

One of my biggest concerns over my upcoming fusion revision is the strength of my arthritic bones.

Thank you for pointing this out. I want to try and do anything and everything possible on my part to help ensure this fusion will indeed yield the best results possible and allow me some measure of improvement.

Didn't know about the soda (caffeine) and others food crap that stacked the deck either

Any other things you know of please let me know.

Thanks
Bionic

Old 03-16-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: "FLY!" ~ >> Fosamax builds bone

[QUOTE=BionicWitch]Fly,
I saw your posted where you mentioned "Fosamax builds bones" that really got my attention

What I said was it builds bone that is not good for/doesn't encourage fusion. After 9 months my OSS still doesn't want me back on it.
Are you anywhere near a Y? Most recently I've been using the elliptical machine and the rowing machine. Have you gotten core strengthening advice from PT?
fly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

WHAT?????????

I have osteoporosis (-3.8) due to hysterectomy at 27 and long history of prednisone use (asthma, RA). Why am I taking Fosomax (have been for 3 years)? Why would my doctor(s) - both my rheumatologist and my Ortho - NOT have mentioned a SINGLE word about this??? What else do I not know that is behind the reason why at 3+ months my fusion is not showing ANY signs of fusing???

What else???

Last edited by StMishl; 03-16-2005 at 08:44 AM.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

My surgeon never brought it up pre-op---I read it on the internet. Does your surgeon know you're on it? And that stuff has a half-life of like 10 years! My endocrinologist had no clue about that and fusion.
fly

Old 03-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Yep, the surgeon knows... It was one of my concerns from the beginning (not the Fosomax, but my osteoporosis). I was concerned that drilling holes and screws through bones that ha a tendancy already to crack was maybe not such a great idea (I already had two compression fractures in my back- and have broken my wrists and ankles at least 2x year)... He assured me that this was different and would be okay, that the BMP would solidify the area and strengthen it... "no worries!"

And my Rheumatoligist (who perscribes the fosomax) knows about the fusion, as I also take meds called Remicade & methatrexate that destroy my immune system to slow down the Rheumatoid Arthritis (so I had to very carefully schedule surgery & my medication and take huge doses of strong antibiotics) so both doctors had to work together to make sure I didn't develope complications from the surgery/medications.

It just really suprises me that they would keep me on the fosomax if it contridicts w/ the fusion! GRRRR

Old 03-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Sorry Fly - guess I got so excited over the possibility of doing something pre-emptive to help fight my DDD - I misunderstood what you said!

Thank you Quiet Cook, for clarifying things - so is there anything as far as supplements I can or should be taking now? or should I just wait and ask the surgeon?

Thanks again,
Bionic

Old 03-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 05:39 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 05:39 PM.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I take calcium and vitamin D and magnesium. I also heard that black tea is good for bones, but there is flouride in tea which can make bad/brittle bone. I also have a Bone Care supplement that also has vitamin K in it. But every time I have a lumbar x-ray the radiologist notes the undissolved supplement. What to do....?
fly

Last edited by flyonthewall; 03-17-2005 at 01:57 AM.

Closed Thread