It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User
What to take to the hospital to wear

hey you guys, I got a question, yesterday my mother bought me a little night gown suit to wear in the hospital and a two or three cut little shirts and two capris. I think the capris will be ok right to go over my wound? Any suggestions? Will they let me change into it after my gown after surgery when I wake-up. I told my mother I might have to have her put my pants on..
I got pants because I figured it might be cold in there. But yet again I not used to wearing pants to bed, I normally wear shorts and shirt.. What is the best thing to wear home?I am having my surgery like an hour and 45 min way in Little Rock arkansas. I found on the net that a good idea is two take two pillows and but a garbage sack over the top of the pillows so i could slip in and out of the car? Good idea? I will be riding home in a Gmc jimmy. I just wanted to tell everybody that I just love the site. I am so hooked on it.. Whosever idea it was to make this site ya did such a good job! Thank ya so much.. Love ya, Tracy

Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: What to take to the hospital to wear

Hi Tracy

I see your getting everything ready and that's a great thing to be doing while your date get's closer. Are you still scheduled the 25th?

Is this your 1st spine surgery? I had the same surgery in '01 and it was my 1st.

I'll be perfectly honest with you.

Day one (post op) I COULD HAVE CARED LESS what I was wearing -

Day too, I was perfectly ok w/the silly hosp gowns & they actually were much more functional for me, and the nurses. Remember you'll have an I/V for your antibiotics & pain meds. You'll have a foley & sometimes even a drainage tube. What I mean is the 1st day or so (literally what your hosp stay is for this) you'll do better in their gowns.

Went I went home, I wore a big Tshirt and stretchy black legging thingee's and my kitty slippers of course.

You'll be fine to wear pants home, but I don't think I wore them the 1st couple weeks after unless I had to - due to the incision, it just felt better bare there.

The garbage back on the car seat is a neat idea isn't it

I also knew a girl who had her bed done in satin sheets when she came home and wore satin pajamas and slid in/out of bed easily...which for me personally was the hardest part for me right after surgery.

As your date nears, remember we are ALL hear for you!

BW

ps

I do remember your a "Goodies-Nut" just like my husband, NO GOODIES for you

And I think you were concerned which meds you could continue up until surgery, did you get w/your Dr on this already?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 06:09 AM   #3
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Hey! Yes my surgery is next friday.. Good Friday! No church for me easter sunday..
I did start my peroid.. And I do need to call my doctor bye Friday and ask him if it is ok for me to keep on taking my codine. This week my leg is not hurting that much as it was last week. Last week was HORRIBLE.. But I think it was because I had PMS. And that is always the worst time on my back. Yessss I am a goodies nut hehehe. And acutally what is so wierd about it is, a couple of weeks ago I tried it for the first time. .
Normally my mother gives me a BC, but the goody's was cheap at Freds and I just bought, and boy did it work, I got the PM kind which was even better but last week I just wanting to sleeppppppppp
.. And also what is a foley and a dranage tub? It is a cathier? And Satin sheets seems like a good idea.. I am already moving out of my waterbed into my brother old room.. I tell ya one thing, that nice heated waterbed is so nice compared to that hard cold regular bed.. I tried it the other and thought to myself, my oh my this is going to be soooo great. hehehehe. And something else I am going to miss horribly for awhile is my bathtub.. I love my baths I can take one 3 times a day if I am home that much.. We do have a shower, but I know I just going to growl everyday. But oh well, I can't complian too much, people are alot worst off then I will be. But anyways, I have rattled on in this one.. Ya take care and i will talk later. Tracy

Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Forget the pants. You won't be able to bend over to pull them up and over your brace. Muu muus are good. Mens muscle shirts are good for under your brace. And I took flip flops and wore them all summer.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

Valley HB User
Talking Re: What to take to the hospital to wear

Tracy, forget the pants, leave them at home. I stayed in a hospital gown until the 5th day, and I wore a gown and robe and slippers home from the hospital. You will have a catether and won't be able to put on pants, and after they take the foley out, and you have to go pee, you won't be able to get the pants down in time anyway. Some friends brought me a cute pair of pajamas, and I still haven't worn them. Get some sleep shirts from Wal-Mart, they are comfortable.Valley

Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi,

You won't need anything but house shoes at the hospital and that is for when they walk you. Don't really need them as they should put some of those warm socks on you in surgery. Valley is right on about the cathether and hospital gowns, etc. I did come home in my own gown and robe I took for the event, and had a soft pillow in the car to put over my incision so I wouldn't hurt.

Best wishes for a greatly successful surgery Friday.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
(female)

texasmary HB User

I didn't wear pants for a long time either... just gowns, robes, and dusters... couldn't get the pants on. The waistband on pants still sometimes bothers my scar at almost 5 months post-op. I found that my long t-shirt sleep shirts worked best. You can catch the hem with both hands and help yourself turn over in bed. I got that idea from a neighbor who had used it following childbirth six times. I still use my nightshirt to turn myself in bed when I am hurting a little. I bought men's t-shirts (sleeveless kind) to go under my brace... worked well for me.

Mary in Texas

Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

After surgery (in the hospital) the gown was best due to the tubes and all. Modesty stops mattering- as everyone is going to want to see your incisions and your legs for swelling... If your meds are working you will not care

I did bring a big robe that I could throw over my shoulders once they had me walking (to cover up my butt), but for the 1st few days I really just did not care. And I usually am the type to care (I brought pjs that I had bought escpecially for the hospital - they never even came out of the bag). Slipper sox (someone else had to help me put them on) were useful tho. I also really wanted my hair out of my face, so soft scrunchies were a MUST as well as chapstick (my lips were messed up from the anesthetic).

To come home I wore a mu-mu that my mom loaned me (a huge waist-less dress thing) - UGLY as heck but it worked. I used the trashbag idea, and it did work great.

Once home I lived in mens long tank tops under my brace, and mens boxer shorts (I found they were easier to pull on and off to pee then woman's underwear - plus I could wear them alone without feeling naked) and sometimes a robe. That is all I wore the 1st few weeks.

Also, my hubby put in the spray shower with the handheld thingy (was $30 ish at Home Depot) which was a godsend. The first few weeks he had to help (We'd put a plastic lawn chair in the shower & I'd sit), but even now the feeling of the sprayer straight on my back is great!

Good luck and God Bless.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Thanks everybody. Could you one more time tell me what a foley is? I curious? Thanks Tracy

Old 03-16-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

A foley is a catheter (to take the place of having to get up to use the restroom). They will place it while you are under anesthetic, so you will not feel it. It will be in probably just the first day or so, until you are able to get in and out of bed to get to the bathroom. It sounds worse then it is... really once it is in you cannot feel it and it beats having to move the first day or so. The nurse will remove it once you are moving on your own better. I had a drain-tube in my back and that also did not hurt as much as it was uncomfortable to look at.

All in all the foley sure beat having to get up to go to the bathroom the first few days.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:28 PM   #11

vickic HB User

I had a microdiscectomy and I was perfectly content in the hospital gown. I think my butt may have even been hanging out a bit, but I was so out of it, that I did not care. Pants might be a hassle to wear, especially if you have to use the bathroom. It will be hard to pull them up. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #12
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Thank you guys so much for your help.. You guys are a God send and I love you guys..

Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #13

sheltie fan HB User

What type surgery are you having? You user name peaked my curiousity. I'm from Arkansas too and will be having fusion surgery in NLR the first of next month.

Old 03-17-2005, 11:08 AM   #14
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Hey! I am from South Arkansas.. Camden.. I am about 1 hour and 30 min away from Lr.. I have a disktomey, or however you spell it next friday at Baptist Medical.. Good Friday our of all the Friday's in the yr. hehehe.... I guess I will always remember when I had my surgery.... hehe.. Anyways, that is where I am located. Good to see another Arkansas person here.. GO HOGS GO! Ok well, i gotta jet to see i think almost an upset in the ncaa's.. Love you guys Tracy

Old 03-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
(female)

rebel_forever33 HB User

Just wanted to say good luck, my surgery well be thursday before good friday I just keep saying god well be closer to me. I was wondering the same thing about what to bring to were so glad u asked, Good luck again and ill be praying for u.

Closed Thread