It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #1

Jetguy9 HB User
2nd week post op, Fusion

Hi All,
I just wanted to share my short story about my Postior lower lumbar inabody fusion ( 2 level, L4-L5, L5- S1).
Age 37
Surgery 3.5 hours
Recovey 5 hours , Major pain problems, words cant say!
Hospital 4 days

Now the reason I'm writing is because I want people reading this board before there surgery (just like I did) to know that it may not be as bad as most of the stories on this board when it comes to recovery.

I guess I'm nervous that things are going to good and something may happen but at two weeks I'm off the pain pills and driving. I may take something at night if I over do it but during the day not even tylornol. Iam stiff and sore and get tired fast but every day is better. I never had to wear a brace like some but my doctor said no braces. although its hard I can bend just enough to pick up things on the floor. Now dont get me wrong, it does still hurt and I'm still very tight but I just seem to be recovering faster then what most people say. ( I know it sounds like im bragging, I'm sorry)

Maybe I'm younger then most,
Maybe my back wasn't as bad as most to start,
Maybe I'm over doing it.

Again, I read this whole board before my surgery and they were right about the pain at first, but I was expeting a much longer and harder recovery.

I wish you all well and a healthy recovery.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

Better Late HB User
Re: 2nd week post op, Fusion

I am at 12 days post 2 level l4-5.l5-s1 360 degree bmp cages both levels, front and back. and I must say after a harrowing start I feel no pre surgery pain. Only incisional pain and spasms. But meds are working now that I have the right one's. Am glad you're doing so well at this point. Keep up the good work!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Jetguy ,
I am really [B]THRILLED[/B] to hear you are doing so well .
I also read these boards and was really scared, came home after 6 days and did great.
But around the 3-4 week mark things changed. [U]During surgery they always use a long acting medication before closing up the site, it usually lasts 2-3 weeks. It helps to get us up and moving will alot less pain.[/U]But when it wears off is when the hard work begins. I [B]Pray [/B] you continue to be doing so wonderful and don't need anymore pain meds.
Just wanted to let you know why alot of us come back either in severe pain looking for advice or land in the ER not knowing what is going on.
Sometimes a simple inflammation can turn the clock back.
Keep us posted on how you are doing, I hope it continues to be GREAT news.
Just wanted to let you know about the meds used inside during the surgery.
Stardust

Old 03-16-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Just wanted to add my "me too" to Stardust". God knows I'm jealous of you doing so well, Jet (your better then I am and I'm 3 months!) but that isn't why i'm writing!!

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but at 2 weeks I was doing great...Please be careful, and do NOT over-do things too soon. I remember several of us who had surgery at the same time (mid December) in the same boat who felt great at 2 weeks were really disapointed when at 3-4 weeks we felt worse... just don't take it as a personal failure if there are setbacks. You did just have major surgery, and healing goes waves

You don't need to climb every mountain and sail every sea TODAY

Old 03-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #5

Jetguy9 HB User

Hey All,
Thanks so much for all the info. That is very interesting about the 3 to 4 week mark set back, that a couple of you spoke about.
My wife went back to work today so I'm home alone WITH kids. So much for the no pain pills. By the time I was done cooking them diner, you could stick a fork in me. Ouch.
This board and all of you have been very helpful, Thank you
Dave

Old 03-16-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 05:01 PM.

Closed Thread