It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
I think back injury weakened my leg.

I hurt a disc in my back about 8 weeks ago. My back has been getting better and I have been using a treadmill with success. My left leg is what has given me the most problems. It normally has hurt up high in my back area and hip area. That part has been better. So I was on my treadmill two days ago and I put it on a slight incline for only 3 minutes then went back to no incline. I only walk 1.0 mph on it. I could really feel it in my thigh muscle. Today my thigh muscle in that left leg is quite sore. I can still walk fine it's just that my right leg does not hurt at all. So all I can think is my left leg had lost some strength from my back injury and that is why it became so sore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: I think back injury weakened my leg.

that could def be part of it, or if you have a bulge or herniation that can cause the leg pain too. I never had it down my legs all the way even initially, then for like four months it was constant in my left leg as well. Then, it stopped. Has come back now and then but not much since surgery. Def the disc causing the problem. What ever it is, if it gets worse, you will be sure to speak with your dr, right????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

It seems like it is just regular muscle soreness from working out. It's all the way down the thigh muscle and on the inside right above my knee. It actually started feeling a little better when I walked on the treadmill tonight again. I only went on it for 15 minutes just to try to warm up the muscles. I sure hope it is not from the disc protrusion otherwise I am not getting better at all. What seems different about it compared to the pain I have had from my disc damage is if I push on my leg it hurts. The pain I have had up until now is more of an internal pain that does not hurt worse when I push on my muscles if you get what I mean by that.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

So I would think if it was from the nerve shooting pain down my leg then it would not hurt on the outside when I push on my muscle. I am pretty sure it's muscle pain and not nerve pain. Unless it can cause it to travel all throughout the muscle. I guess I have never hurt a disc before so it's hard to know.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I sure don't know, I can def sometimes rub on the areas that are hurting from nerves. I'd say, give yourself another few days of rest, don't push the walking too much. If it lessens then goes away, you are probably right, just muscular or soft tissue. But, if it remains the same or gets worse there might be more there (and there can be nerve pain w/o a big disc issue too). I had two discs removed and will always probably have some nerve pain. It is just the way it is, and it sucks. I do hope it resolves though!

Old 03-16-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

When you first got the nerve pain down your leg was it after doing something that might set off the pain? I know it was from walking on the treadmill on an incline. I felt my leg get tired as I was doing it. That is why I stopped at 3 minutes. Or did you just have nerve pain one day without doing anything physical to make it worse?

Old 03-16-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hey Kari ,
I wanted to let you know what happened to me about 8 days ago. I was getting alot of rest and walking a little, along with mild PT, but then for no apparant reason, my lower back became VERY painful and always went into my left hip, then thigh and down my leg. I babied it and babied it, did everything very carefully, but it got to the point that I could no longer walk.
If I put my left leg down, even a little bit, it actually collapsed on me. Finally I called the surgeon and got right in.
He did 5 Xrays and after studying them for awhile, he told me I had developed Bursitis in the hip.
He gave me an injection directly in the hip which hurt like h***! I think it was norvocaine and a steriod mixture. I never believed a word he said because I had never had this before and according to the internet, I had no symptoms of Bursitis.
3 days after the injection ALL hip, lower back, thigh and leg pain was gone, that is when the fluid in the Bursa came to the surface and there was a large area of "water".
I thought for sure I had a nerve problem, and from the pain I had I would of bet money on it. Doc took me out of Physical Therapy for 1 week after the injection, and I just returned this past Monday.
The pain was so severe, I could not put my leg down at all, Hubby had to carry me to the van and I crawled with my walker (left leg pulled up) into his office.
I never had Bursitis in my life, But now I find out when Surgery is done near a boney area, that a nearby Bone WILL be affected.
I hope this is all they find out is your problem as well, I can't believe how exact your symptoms are to what mine were. And I was also walking the treadmil when it began.
Let me know what the Doc says, and try to stay off that leg.
Stardust

Old 03-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I am 100% sure now that it was just muscle soreness. I have no pain at all today. I used to work out three times a week for 9 years so I just know when my body gets sore and how long it lasts. Whenever I would exercise and get sore from it, it would be the second day after the exercise. It was exactly the same this time. I walked on the incline on the treadmill and not the next day but the day after I got sore. Then my normal body response is to be pain free the next day after that. I am pain free in my leg today. If it haden't felt completely better today then I would have known something bad was going on. I am abnormally tired today. I have noticed in this process whenever my body has to work so hard to heal I get soooo tired. I cannot seem to get enough sleep sometimes. Thankyou for your responses and I am glad you are getting better Stardust.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

you know, I can't remember to save my life! Glad to hear no pain today, hopefully it will continue to be like that. Best wishes!

Closed Thread