It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

rebel_forever33 HB User
Question hello, glad to have new friends

hello, Im having surgery march 24th and scared to death. Im having L4-L5-S1 fusied with cage thier going to us some kind of protine to make it fuse instead of my on out my hip. Ive been told ill be in hospital 3 to 4 days, having surgery done at the hughston clinic in columbus ga. It takes me about 3hours to get thier. Does anyone have any advise for the ride home. And what kind of things should I take to hopital with me. Thanks for being here to talk too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User
Re: hello, glad to have new friends

Hey rebel, me and you are having surgery right about the same time, urs is next thursday and mine is next friday.. So we can do this together.. I am scared too. And I to also have a little bit of a long way home next saturday. But I do feel sorry for you, yours is 3 and half hours mine is an hour and half..And you are staying in the hospital a long time wow.. Good luck to you. Tracy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

SadieNY HB User

Advice for ride home PAIN PILLS lol I am jk you will be tired from the ride, bring at least 2 pillows if you can, Lay the seat back I don't think I would lay down in the back seat but it may be comfy for you hard to say if it hurts don't do it and tell whom ever is driving to hit bumps slow. When I wen't into the Hospital for my 1st op I took my own jams and a nice comfy robe and my own slippers. I was so sick the 1st couple of days I did not wan't to see or hear from anyone I was up walking the next day. I took a book that never was read while in the hospital so I think anything that brings you comfort is what you take. Good luck on the Op hun and God Bless hope all goes well.

Oh Ps my op was L4 L5 Si1 Anterior Metal cages and such and don't feel like you have to get dressed for the ride home wear the robe and jams I used a nightgown.

Last edited by SadieNY; 03-17-2005 at 01:08 PM.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi,

Hope you will do fine with your surgeries. I had my 10 level fusion in December and was in the hospital a little over an hour from home. Definitely take at least one pillow and if an anterior approach is being used you will need either a second pillow to keep the seat belt off your incisioin or ask the nurse for a couple of the little blue dry pads that the beds. Less bundlesome and they don't mind giving you some at all.

My doc ordered an additional dose of pain injection as well as an injections of phernergan to make sure I didn't get nauseated while travelining. Made it fine in the passenger seat but I have a Grand Marquis which has the adjustable lumbar built in. For your three plus hour drive I would imagine you will need to make at least a couple of stops just to move about so you don't hurt too much.

Glad you will get the BMP. If they are doing laminectomy he will use bone from that but if not removing any bone they can use cadeavor bone with the BMP2. That stands for Bone Morphogenic Protein which is mixed with ground/crushed bone. It's like adding super glue to the bone and fuses much faster than just bone and is much stronger than bone alone. Just one word of caution. If either of you take Fosamax or the other osteoporsis drug make sure you speak with the doctor. Taking those drugs or NSAIDS for arthritis can keep the BMP from solidifying. If you have arthritis, you may wish to speak with the doctor and see if they recommend or at least approve using the Glucosamine/Chondroitin you get over the counter to help with keeping arthritic joints in better shape and ask about if they want you to add a calcium and Vitamin D in 600 mg to compensate some for the Fosamax having to be stopped until your fusion is complete. Maybe you don't have to deal with arthritis or osteoporsis, but many of us do.

Imagine that with a 1 1/2 hr drive, you may not need to get out, so may prefer to wear a loose gown and robe, but if either are dressing you would be most comfortable with very loose clothing because while staples don't bother you themselves, they are not the most comfortable under clothing.

Best wishes to the both of you and let us know how you are doing when you feel up to being on the computer for a bit.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

rebel_forever33 HB User

thanks yall , tracy we will be doing this about the same time I wish you lots of luck, Sadie thanks for the advice, do u feel a lot less pain know its been awhile scinse ur surgery. Are u glad u done it
Carol

Old 03-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
Good luck with your surgery. I stayed in the hospital 4 days with my surgery. My ride home was an hour. I am not sure about your ride. Will you be in a SUV where you can perhaps lie down? Get your prescriptions filled before you leave that way you will have them on hand. You will do fine. The days ahead will be your most anxious ones, but we will be here for you.
shelley

Old 03-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Welcome ,
Your having the same surgery I had 6 weeks ago. My Surgeon says if you [B]MUST[/B] travel, to bring pillows, and lay the passenger seat back (do not sit up straight), or the only other option is to lay in the back seat for the entire trip.
After going through this, I would suggest you lay in the back seat instead of being in the passenger seat,take your pain meds and try to sleep.
You must stop every 30-45 minutes, get out and walk around (keeps the blood in the legs flowing and keeps your back from being stuck in one possition for too long).
They will probably use embalizm stockings before and after surgery. Wear them in the car on the way home to keep from getting blood clots.
As for leaving the Hospital, I have cotton elastic waist pants (pajama pants)and i just added a T-shirt and that's it. You will definatly want to buy a couple T-shirts to keep the brace away from the skin and from getting sweaty. I found some at wal-mart, sleeveless.
Also at wal-mart I got sample bottles of shampoo and a tiny bar of soap and a miniture deoderant instead of taking large bottles. A nightgown is fine, but you won't wear it for about 2 days, but I went to the dollar general store and got 2 of the knee length sleep shirts for about $6.00 each.
I was in the Hospital 6 days, so always plan for the longer stay just in case.
The best of luck to you both, and please travel safely.
Stardust

Old 03-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #8
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

yes honey good friday i do belive means i will have the good lord right there with me even more.. but i know if anything happened to me on that table, the good lord would take me where i would never have any pain and suffereing again, and for you also.. good luck tracy

Last edited by arkansas_tracy; 03-17-2005 at 03:01 PM.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
(female)

rebel_forever33 HB User

stardust, you said you had the same surger six weeks ago how are u now, and how was recovery.
tracy, you r right about God I believe that with all my might.
Thanks for everything yall are saying it means so much to know where not going thru this aloneeeeeeeeee.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #10

ktboxler HB User

Rebel, I had L4-5 & L5-S1 fused December 17th. I was in the hospital for 4 days and didn't have the long ride home like you. Mine was only 20 min. I did go to Christmas at my brother's house that was an hour away. It was not a comfortable ride. Make sure you bring a pillow or two in the car and lay the seat back. Definitely take painkillers about 20-30 min before you leave. I brought my own pj's and robe. I didn't get as sick this time after surgery as I did with my Laminectomy 2 years ago. They gave me some kind of motion sickness patch behind my ear to help with what they put in my I.V. as well.

Sleeping after I got home was pretty awful. It hurts to move at all. All those muscles are pretty sore. Amazingly walking didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. I was off work for 8 weeks and went back for 2 weeks part time. I've been back full time for 3 weeks now and doing good. I have my days where I get really sore, but usually because I"ve done way too much. I'm down to probably 1-2 painkillers a week. Not bad! I don't have to go back for another x-ray now until August.

Back pain is just awful and to have 2 surgeries before the age of 35 just bums me out because I think of all the years I have left and what it will feel like by age 50! I guess that worries me so much because there was never any trauma to my back such as an accident or anything and I'm not the athletic type. Just dumb old bad luck and genetics.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-17-2005, 10:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi ,
As for my surgery, I woke up in no pain at all, not until the next day when they tried to help me up to walk (that was the worst part), but once on my feet it didn't hurt anymore, they inject a long acting pain med at the end of surgery (inside the site) and it lasts for 2-3 weeks.
So for the first 2 weeks I was able to do whatever I was told with no problem. But after the internal meds wore off, I was in quite a bit of pain. Mostly moving in the bed, I would try to get comfortable but the muscle no longer worked.
But I have been in Physical Thrapy and right now at 6 weeks I have to say I am doing very good.
I resumed driving last week and now go to Physical Therapy alone.
Doc says it is already 1/2 fused (because I added extra milk to my diet, take alot of calcium+d suppliments and eat alot of yogert).
So Now it is just Physical Therapy and right now it is going very well and I have alot of muscle tone back.
I was told to stop using the walker at 4 weeks and stop wearing the brace at 5 weeks.
But everyone is different and so are the Doctors.
I think the fear before the surgery was worse than the actual surgery itself.
Stardust

Old 03-18-2005, 01:50 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Hi

The other's have given you great advice!

Also if you look back through the threads "Arkansas Tracy" had a thread a few days ago titled "What to wear on the way home" these replies you'll find quite helpful.

I had the same surgery your having and I too had a long trip home. Unsure what type vehicle you'll be driven in, but the larger and more importantly >> smoother riding vehicle is your best ride One of my gf's borrowed her mom's car - I think it was a cream puff caddy ...anyway it made a BIG difference cause it was such a smooth riding vehicle.

- just wanted to wish you the best - you and Arkansas Tracy are going almost at the same time and ALL of us will keep both of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Read through the previous posts and you'll get lots of info on this surgery, what to expect and how better to prepare things at home for your return & recovery.

You might wanna check w/your insurance and see what if any DME they allow. You'll definitely need a walker. A raised toilet seat & shower chair will be a blessing the 1st week home.

Good Luck & we're all here for you as your surgery draws near
Bionic Witch

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-18-2005 at 01:56 AM.

Closed Thread