It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
well NOW what? :)

well, I saw the Sports Med doc today about my shoulder. He really found nothing to suggest there was a problem causing all the pain I have. He even said you can't have a shoulder impingement (elbow and neck sure) so who knows. We did an xray and it did show that the ball is lower in the socket a little and that may be causing some shoulder pain, but isn't significant enough to do much else. I'll do some PT for four weeks to strengthen that area. So, now what?
I dropped off the questions regarding my previous diagnosis of cervical spondy, I asked if the small herniation could be causing so much discomfort, and made a comment about the fact that he didn't say anything about a follow up after the ESI I had yesterday. I just can't sit around though waiting for the ESI to work. I have to be able to look down to write in three weeks or less and right now I can't. I need to go back to work too. I called my LTD lady today and told her I am going back to work but was still concerned about my neck and that I don't know how I'll do going into straight eight hour shifts. Its not like I have a lot of manual labor, but looking down is so painful. I don't know how long I should wait to hear back from him. I want some massage and ultrasound what ever else might help. I just have no idea! UGH!

Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: well NOW what? :)

I found out that I can only have three injections in my neck in one year! I was pretty sure six was the number for one year when I was seeing my PM doc. Here, I got it done with a radiologist. Anyway, I am worried that the injection will take too long to work and I need relief soon. Do you think things might differ from a PM doc to say the hospital? I seriously can't look down for long, and I'll HAVE to since I'll be taking off drs orders sometimes for an hour at a time or more especially if there are a lot of admissions. I haven't hear a thing from the spine dr. When should I seek a second opinion? Or, should I scrap the second opinion since I don't want surgery and just go to a PM clinic-ask for other medicinal treatments and massage therapy? I am going to start PT on my shoulder, so I would like to treat my neck at the same time, BEFORE i go back to work! What do ya think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

My current doc and his partners limit you to three steroid injections in a 12 month period. I wish the one I had in the mid-70's had limited them, but he gave more in my elbow and didn't warn about how it made bones more fragile. I slipped on wet leaves and my elbow totally crumbled and had to be removed, the upper arm bones shattered into the shoulder and both bones in the lower arm broke, plus there was damage to the hip. After I learned better from the two surgeons who did 10 procedures to make the arm 40 percent usable so I could keep working, even with one or two injections such as with FSI, I'm now much more conscious and careful about my movements.

If you have ruled out any surgery, then would a second opinion be worth your time and expense? Maybe you can revisit that possibility if pain management stops working enough for you to be able to keep working. Hope you will let us know how you are doing.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

well the thing is I don't have a PM doc here and my new spine dr didn't give me any ideas as to if he was going to order the massage therapy and ultrasound. I CANNOT look down for more than five mins without pain. I was thinking of a second opinion if he wouldn't take the time out of his day to help me more than just a single ESI- I don't want to have to tell work I can't come afterall. I need to go back, I am ready to go back but I don't know who can help me!!!!! I am still taking plenty of percocets to get through my day, and usually NOT for pain related to my lumbar fusion. I am very confused and don't know which road to take.

Closed Thread