Stardust if right that maybe this doctor isn't the best one for you. It would especially make me feel so if he says that he cannot help you because the one above or below is bad. Hon, I've had four surgeries to fuse 3 levels each time. One was required when I was in a wreck and a previous fusion broke. Then my fourth surgery just 3 months ago was 10 (yep ten) levels fused, so forget one above or below being bad being a hold out.
Don't think you said if your doc was ortho or neuro or more importantly if they were a neuro or other spine specialist instead of say general neuro surgeon. Don't panic as while one doctor may not be able to help you, if surgery is recommended, you want to get a minimum of two independent opinions anyway (not from someone they refer you to). Please check the sites on the web where you can find doctors by state and cities and by specialties. I obtained 9 opinions before I found my current ortho spine specialist when I knew I needed a new spine surgeon. I'm active and I'm doing amazingly well for what this body has been through, so I hope you will look around and see if you indeed have the best surgeon for your problem. He needs to be honest on chances and able to tell you how many times he has done the surgery you might need, and above all you need to have that feeling that this is the surgeon for you at this time.
If surgery is the answer, again don't panic by focusing on the negative. Look at the positive of getting out of pain, at being able to go back to doing the things you want to do, and of your family and you having your life back in so many ways. It can be scary, and yes, I do get frightened, but I believe that the Lord has allowed us the smarts to look for the person needed, and that he will guide the surgeon's hand.
Best wishes and let us know how you are doing. We're around if you need to vent or just need some words of support.
[QUOTE=myspine]O.K. so I have thought this out in my head way to much
If I have A large tear in the C4-5 and complete blow out so to speak in the C5-6 and a tear in the C6-7, my doc is probably going to say that he can not help me...because there is not a healthy disc above and below the really bad one.....Right?
I mean when he originally thought the l5-s1 level was involved when I had my lumbar discogram, he said that given the l4-5 was so bad and the l3-4 was virtually gone from a previous surgery if the 5-1 was bad to I would have to wait and see what kind of technology was going to be available, because a 3 level fusion he was not going to do on me. So what am I going to do if this is the case with my neck too????????? I am taking norco,robaxin, topamax, elavil, and advil. What more can I do. I still work full time and take care of my kids, but to tell you the truth I have no idea what to do if he says he can not help me...Oh and I am still waiting for the SCS Implant trial. I feel like a mess...............I have NEVER had and injury.
I am calling out all my buddies here. I have worked myself up into a complete panic that I will be stuck like this.