It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Question Linda I need your help about the SCS

Hi Linda
I am scheduled for my trial Monday the 28th. O.k. what do I need to know? Can I go back to work on Tuesday. Is the trial part painful or will I breeze through it? I need a play by play.
I am also scheduled for a ACDF in a couple of months so I am hoping to get this going and that it will be great and take away some of this pain.
Did you go to the doctor ? Have you found out anything?
shelley

Last edited by myspine; 03-18-2005 at 09:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: Linda I need your help about the SCS

This is great news!!!!

A few things for you to know, Well there is No bending, lifting or twisting and no lifting your arms above your head for the trial or after implant for 6weeks.
Remember now the trial isn't a real effective result as the leads are just held in with a stich so they bounce around and that's why it's important not to do things listed.
If I was working I doubt I would have gone back the next day, you really need to ask the dr. I doubt it though.
The part that hurt me was where the leads went in, it was VERY tender and I couldn't lean back and had to be careful laying down as they would pull and hurt.
I got the things I needed up where I could reach them and also used my grabber for anything that needed bending over.
After the implant I had worried about the mid back wheer the leads were implanted to really hurt because of the trial but it didn't it was where the generator was implanted in my butt cheek.
I think you'll do great and if I can help, I'm here and happy too. I so hope you find the relief I did, just be patient and know the implant is better.
As for me I'm doing pretty good my biggest problems is the surgery cause my thoracic cord. comp. to flare up but that is calming down now.
They still don't know why it went wacky on me but hey if it can happen it will to me.
Please let me know how your doing, I'm jsut thrilled for you.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2005, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Shelly, I know your day is comming up and I wondered how your holding up.
Linda

Old 03-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi
How sweet for you to remember me
This time I switched the date to Friday, after your post I decided to wait so I could have the weekend to Try it out without having to worry about waking up at 5am to get the kids ready and myself for school and work.
Although on saturday i am suppose to WALK and I stress walk in the Susan komen walk for a special person. I also have a sons soccer game. Oh and on Friday evening after the trial is done I have my little boys baseball game . No wonder by body hurts huh. Then I am scheduled for a neck fusion on June 1. I wonder if things go well if they can do the perm and the fusion all in one. Is that wishful thinking. I mean with the neck fusion I will not be able to lift or drive due to the collar and I do not want to get released from that just to undergo another surgery. With my job I am off for the summer so that is why I am waiting til June 1, no sense taking a month off now when we are out in 2 months anyway. I am nervous about Friday. Does your battery show through your pants. My doc says they put it in the cheek area, and I wonder how much will show through.
shelley

Old 03-27-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Shelly, It sounds like you are getting your eggs in a basket(by the way Happy Easter).Wow, your right no wonder you hurt do you ever take a break, girl !!
I think it's great that you have ben able to maintain so much activity, it seems that the past 6yrs has taken all my activities away.
I think it's a good idea to wait til Fri. and you know the walk may be a way for you to get a good idea how it works, just remember if you drop something DO NOT BEND OVER that was hard for me.You'll notice that with every change of your posture the sensation will change and remember once you have it implanted it's not so much like that.
I'll say that you can't see the implant through your clothes, it does feel weird to me though and where the dr put mine I have kind of a hard time charging it at times.
You should ask the dr about doing both at the same time, I don't think it should be a problem and makes sense I think the biggest concern will be how long you have stay under. It would realy bite to just get released from all this to only have to start all over with the restriction.
Shelly, let me know how this all works for you. Have a grreat day today and enjoy your children.
Linda

Old 04-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Shelly, Want you to know your in my thoughts and prayers, hope all goes well today and you get the pain relief you so deserve with this, let me know how you are when you can.
Linda

Old 04-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
(male)

rachelmc HB User

hi shelley ,
i posted to you a few days ago........ was wondering how you are going....thats all
rachelmc

Old 04-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Linda and Rachel
I am home with this trial, and it is different.Well yesterday I was not sure at all and a little scared of it. Now I think I do like it I does not take away all the pain, but it does help some. I found that it must help more than I thought because the minute I turn it off I am hurting so bad. Now it makes me realize how bad things are though. I can not leave it on all the time because it sort of wears me out. Kind of like sitting in a message chair, it feels good but you could not sit in it 24 hours a day. O.K. I know that it deff does nothing for back pain. so as it decreases the hip and leg pain it does show that i must have some back pain because i really feel that. Iguess it is trading this stuff for that stuff you know.
Now things have been so bad that even my pain meds were not helping so yesterday if I took one of my meds and had this on and things felt good. I do not know if that is the intention or not. But I guess I will have to talk with the doc on Friday.
Oh my ,I did not think my back would be so sore where they made the incisions though, that does hurt, and of course it is the one part of my back that does not ever hurt....LOL .I do not believe that Jerry lewis went from being bedridden to absolutely pain free and running down the beach... but i do see how it helps .........some..........It makes my legs feel better. but I still have some pain , just not AS bad.
You know my doc was not going to be there so they had another one do it and it was one who was not real nice to me last year and I made his office aware of it and said that after all the money I have spent there and after the very extensive history and problems I have that I wanted to be treated well and I guess he got the message because he was sooooooooooo nice this time.
thanks guys for thinking of me, I will have to think about if this is worth another surgery or not. If the intention is to be able to be off of all meds with this ...I just do not see where it is that effective. But if it to decrease the pain by let say maybe 30% well it does do that.
Linda how much relief do you get? Is it alot more?
Let me know

Rachel sweetie how are you? Anything going better with you? You are in my thoughts.

shelley

Old 04-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Hi Shelley,

Catching up on all your posts - so glad to hear you have it and are getting some relief. I have heard it only really gives you relief with extremity pain and does little for LBP...sounds like your another testament to that.

I imagine your pretty sore hope the soreness leaves soon and you continue getting some much needed relief.

Good Luck
Bionic

Old 04-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Shelly, I'm glad to hear you made it through well enough, yes the inscion where they hook up the leads was terribliy painful to me in the trial but not in the actual implant and they say that's because the leads are kind of hanging there just attached by a stitch, it never really hurt me when they did the implant so must be true.
I have a hard time believing the full impact story of J. Lewis also, he must not have any damage but nerve damage, also I was told from the start that if it even decreased my meds by a little then it was considers a success, never was I led to think it would be full PM.
Right now mine is on the blink again I have an app. to go Mon. for another reprogram. I'll let you know how it goes.
It also wears me out at pooints also and I know when I turn it off as I can really feel the pain. just know the trial is just that and even after the implant it moves around a lot until it scars in...
If you can keep me updated, I really care how this works for you.
Linda

Closed Thread