It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
(female)

soaplady HB User
Finding Good Docs

I was searching the archives for info on facet and SI joint dysfunctions, and I noticed in some posts docs and hospitals were discussed. I would love to know if anyone here lives close to my area, and has a good doc (PM, ortho), or knows of one. I'm from southwest Ohio, near the Indiana border. I really don't know who to call, although I have a list of names. I'm able to check their licensure status and if they have been reprimanded online, but after today's experience, I really need to look for someone better.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-19-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
(female)

Valley HB User
Smile Re: Finding Good Docs

Hi, I don't live anywhere near you, but I found a wonderful doctor by talking to people who knew people who had used him. So, if you have friends who have had back surgery or knows someone who has, talk, talk , talk. Valley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: Finding Good Docs

Check out spine.org.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi,

Valley is so right. After all the research, which is what I advocate, then it is a matter of going to several and talking with others in order to find one who is excellently qualified and who fit's your exact need and personality. (I feel like the personality has to come into play if we are going to have good communications with one another.)

I'm from a fairly sized area (over 130K) but our hospital and some of the doc's you wouldn't want, so many, go to Nashville, TN where we have literally hundreds of doc's and a dozen or so hospitals. I really couldn't find people here who had been to the doc I chose, but did take the time in the waiting room to talk with patients to learn good and bad experiences. Went to a minimum of nine before I found this guy's partner who also works on backs as a general ortho, but said not mine. Said he wanted me to see the partner who has been wonderful. Now, I recommend him to locals who tell me that they aren't getting good results from local doc's with their backs.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Hi, I love in central Ohio and I have to say after 6yrs I'm still looking the one I have been using is a needle jockey and well it hasn't worked..
I agree the best is word of mouth otherwise it's a guess.
Good luck.
Linda

Old 03-19-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
(female)

soaplady HB User

Thanks for the replies! I have a limited number of people I know who needed back doctors. Where I live, most of them go to the practice where I'm going now since it's the only one close by. My boss went to the same jerk as I did yesterday. Same experience. My parents also went to this clinic, hated the guy. There's only one good doc there, and he doesn't do backs!! Unfortunately.

My best friend had back surgery years ago, but her doc is retired. The only other person I know who had back surgery had a horrible experience. Ended up failed three times, and I think she sued. He's the biggest neurosurgeon in our area.

Another friend recommended her ortho doc she had after a car accident, no surgery involved. He's on my list to call.

I checked several docs on our county clerks site last night to check for malpractice suits. Just about everyone of them has been sued at least once. Some settled out of court, others were found not guilty, and yet others were found totally guilty. It's just one part of the puzzle.

I have done alot of research on spine.org, and it didn't have any docs listed in my area. The website does have a lot of great information. I printed out several things to add to my file.

I totally agree you must click with personalities in order to communicate well. I like a doctor who won't act like he's offended if I bring up a point he didn't think of. I don't want to be patronized, either.

Good luck to everyone in their search.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Is there a teaching hospital near you? We live about 400 miles away from one that works out great for us, for surgery purposes.

SI dysfunction is a tricky one. You have to find a doctor who is willing to accept this diagnoses and work with you on it.

Since Prolo is the procedure that is being used to help this disorder, you might research to see if any doctors in your area are doing this procedure. The advertise it as a *non-surgical pain cure*. Most doctors won't refer you to them, you have to seek them out. Even if you don't feel comfortable with the procedure, they can explain and diagnose the SI for you.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:17 PM   #8
(female)

soaplady HB User

Hi again, Betty! That is a good idea...unfortunately, the only teaching hospital in my area was removed from my insurance, along with four other big hospitals recently. I don't understand that at all.

I don't know what Prolo is, I'm going to research it now. Thanks again!!!

Closed Thread