It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
(female)

soaplady HB User
Tramadol

I apologize for posting so many questions (I'm new here), but my ortho doc gave me an rx for tramadol for my back pain earlier this week (I can't take naproxen for two weeks due to an upcoming surgery). I just started it tonight, 50 mg, and I am very dizzy. My face and lips feels numb. My back still hurts, though. I turned around in my chair as I typed this, and got an excruciating stabbing pain (like I always do). I took the pill about one hour ago.

Is this something that will go away with continued use? I won't be able to take this during the day b/c I won't be able to go anywhere....that's an issue. It says to take every 4-6 hours for pain.

I don't know much about this med other than it's prescribed alot for arthritis. Thanks very much for any replies!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 12:05 AM   #2
(female)

GP883 HB User
Re: Tramadol

Hello,

I was taking Ultram (tramadol) for awhile. The 1st time i tried it I was getting really bad headaches & my stomach got so upset I almost got sick a few times. So my Dr. took me off it. Then a few months later I tried it again and I was fine except I would get dizzy off and on. Mostly if I bent over and stood up or just stood up 2 fast. I was taking 1-2 50 mg pills every 4 x a day and then the workcomp Dr. cut me down to 1-2 50 mg 3 x a day.. I started hurting more and took tylenol with the ultram and it helped somewhat. The Dr. told me it was safe to use tylenol with it. I was also on Neurontin & celebrex at the time too.. So i guess it (dizzyness) could of been any of those meds. Now WC is refusing to pay for my meds and i'm hurting like crazy but i have not been getting dizzy. Some people say ultram is not addictive but from my experience of getting taken off of it.. I did have withdraws, It was not fun. So just be careful! I could not sleep and felt out of it for a couple of weeks. But with the pain I have every day I would start taking it again because it worked well for me. It relieved my pain down to a 1-2 level.

The best thing to do is probably talk to your Dr.

I hope you figure it out!

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #3
(female)

soaplady HB User

Thanks, Lisa. I can't sleep after taking the pill, so I'm still up reading. The doc who prescribed this sent me to the pain doc....guess that means I can't call him anymore. I'm certainly not calling the pain doc....don't like him at all. That story is on another post. Thanks for the warning on getting off the med. I took Zoloft years ago b/c my doc said there would be no w/d effects....wrong!! He prescribed it for period problems. It took me three months to go off that med. I gained over 20 pounds on it, so never again.

So far, I don't have any headache or stomachache, just dizzy and very dry mouth. I may type something goofy here, so I apologize in advance

I can't wait to get back on my naproxen. That med has worked for me in the past for other pain, hopefully, it will work well for this pain.

I hope you feel better soon, and WC gets their act together and covers your costs. My insurance co is alot like WC, very hard to get certain things covered.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi,

I take the Ultram and don't have any trouble unless I have to take it solidly two tables every six hours days on end. It can trigger a migraine so I'm fortunate to be able to space mine out more. Like you had to stop Naprosyn and Bextra before the surgery in Dec and will have to be off until the fusion completes. Hope I can go back on it after my April visit. I use the Lidoderm pain patches the doc prescribed directly on the aching area and they work well with the Ultram, but the rest of my joints were terrible with the aching and cracking. Doc okayed using Glucosamine/Chondroitin (I get the triple strength kind) saying many patients got results and it isn't like taking the Naprosyn, but at least my body is still working. Wish I had more info, but most arthritis meds interfer with the fusion process and you don't want a failed fusion.

Good question to be asking.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

soaplady HB User

Thank you, Quietcook. I hope everything works out fine when you go to your April app't. I forgot that my PT recommended the glucosamine. My parents take it and said it works pretty well for them. Took some time, though. I'm still feeling the effects of that one tramadol pill, I guess it should have worn off by now. It did kill most of the pain, it felt good in spite of feeling very dizzy and numb everywhere else

The lidoderm pain patches sound like something that may work for me. I'm going to ask about them when I find another doc.

Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
(female)

purplerain212 HB User

Hi Soaplady, I too take tramadol. My first day I took it, I felt just like that, but it did go away after 1-2 pills. For me, I still feel my pain too. It does take the level of pain down one or two degree's, but that's about it. I was at my Dr's yesterday, and told him how , firstly I'm scared to take it, and I undertake it, and it really doesn't help that much. He's trying ultracet-he said that has tylenol w/ it and may be stronger. I'll let you know when I try that. But again, as far as the side effects, they do go away.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
(female)

soaplady HB User

Thanks purplerain. Let me know how the new med works for you. I thought of something else....I read on the pain mgmt board that tramadol cannot be stopped cold turkey. It has the same effects as SSRI's, and can have w/d effects. I know from experience with SSRI's that you never stop cold turkey. Anyone know about this potential issue with Tramadol?

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
(female)

purplerain212 HB User

Yes, check on the addiction and recovery board about ultram. It does have w/d's and can be addicting. I don't take it around the clock, or even dailty, just when my pain gets to a 7-8 on a 1-10 scale. I'm not too worried about addiction. If it worked better I'd be worried!

Old 03-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
(male)

tracer HB User
Lightbulb Re: Tramadol

it is a synthetis opite that is far less effective and often has far more side effects and is very addictive cause it dose efectively shut down endorfin production but is not really a great pain med but doctors will tell u to take more cause it is not a controaled substance witch actualy cause worse withdrawal than a true opite cause u must take alot more to achive the same effect,i tried to take it with no good pain controal and refused to take 6-8pills a day to achive wat 2-3vicoden easlily achived,many docs r more worried about being politicaly correct than properly controaling a patients pain,a good doctor will work with the patient to controal thier pain or lessen it as much as possible and also work with the patient to imform and lessen the chemical dependince on the meds.as i see it synthectic opites r not yet much good cause they try to leave out wat is addictive thus makeing the medication inafective.if a person is in pain and somthing relieves this pain it is addictive no way around this.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #10
(female)

soaplady HB User

I hate the way docs prescribe these meds and don't tell you much about them. You find out when at the pharmacy (I ask alot of questions of the pharmacist). I will only take these periodically until my surgery is over, then I will go back to my naproxen. I don't want to deal with w/d effects.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:23 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi again,

I'll apologize up front for the lenth of this post, but want to cover something you may wish to consider buying.

I first purchased a PDR some years ago, but that's too expensive to replace very often. Still, I needed to look up meds before filling scripts as I had poured out $$$ for too many things I could not take. However, there is a little white cover paperback book called something like the Pill Book can't recall the whole title) and pic's of diff pills in squares on the front cover. There are several others as well as one which covers OTC drugs. Anyway, this one costs about $6 or $7 and does get updated yearly so not so bad to keep it up to date. I don't recall the cost of the others but there shouldn't be a big difference. The format varies, and you may look at several and prefer one of the others.

I have made it a practice in the last few years to look at scripts before getting an unfamiliar med filled for either myself or Mother. The PDR really has too much technical stuff, so I'll check my little paperback and go online and maybe look at the PDR if I hit a problem. The online info usually doesn't gives me exactly what I'm looking for in a quick format. The book lists generic names, tell what type of drug it is. Ultram is listed as a Non-narcotic pain reliever which I prefer to use. Tramdol is specifically a synthetic compound that they don't know exactly how it works, but they do not list it as a synthetic narcotic in this or my older PDR. It just says that it works on the opioid receptors of the body and reduces neuro hormones into nerves. In my case, since the calculation of seratonin released affects my heart rhythm, this has to be a concern for me.

I like that it provides typical and less typical side effects for all meds so that you will know better if having a problem with that particular med. One of the warnings about Ultram is that if there's ever been a dependency to any narcotics and/or alcohol, it can present withdrawal and that probably because it works on the opioid receptors of our bodies. It also gives the good news that it does not present problems with histamines/breathing or the heart which is good for me. Most narcotics make me deathly ill, so I guess that's why this med has been a blessing for me. Being unable to handle the narcotics, it always gives the doc's a problem when I have surgery. You know, while it may work for me, it could make another individual ill. With me, if I take it round the clock day after day, it affects my migraines, but when I've had to do that and then I have to switch to other meds to control migraines, I've not had a problem with not taking Ultram for a week or so. I've learned that if I take it three times a day and then need it four times a few days I don't hit the migraine problem, simply by dropping back to three times or however many times I need as soon as I can.

Oh, and this little book informs about other drugs it might cause problems with and if any foods interfer with it's action, typical doses prescribed, and special info like the warnings you would get from the pharmacy, and if it has more effect on seniors or pregnancy. This can be critically important, say as in one heart med my Mother needs, because eating grapefuit causes a major problem. Until I started getting this little book, I had never thought too much about foods affect meds, except maybe that milk or other foods might make some meds less effective if they needed to be taken on an empty stomach.

Anyway, after all this long spill, you may want to look around at your pharmacy's magazine/book section as this and a couple of other pill info books can usually be found there. Then you could see about scripts before getting them filled and maybe ask the pharmacist answer any specific concerns you may have before paying out $$$. It has definitely saved us money several times and I put clips on pages of any meds we've had difficulty with so that if script is written for a generic version of one, we can call the doctor. You know, even if you have provided a list of meds you are allergic to to your doctor, they are just human and cannot possibly keep thousands of drugs in their mind, so sometimes it happens.

Hope you can find something that will work for your pain.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
(female)

soaplady HB User

Quietcook, thank you so much for your reply! You know, I totally forgot about that pill book! I have an older one on my shelf. I know it's so old tramadol is probably not in it I used to check that book alot when my son had to take more than 6 different meds/day. It's been over 5 years since that has happened, now he's only on two. He's been on the same two for the last 5 years.

I will make a trip the bookstore again and update the book.

I don't have any dependencies on alcohol or other narcotics which is good. I rarely drink, if at all. So, that helps with taking this med.

I'm glad this works for you and you were able to find meds that worked for your mother. I understand how good it feels to find a good med, I've been through that with my son. For years I tried to take care of him and the rest of the family, now it's my turn, I guess

Thanks again for the great tip!

Old 03-21-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

I have been taking Ultram/Tramadol for three years when needed for back pain, I try not to take it everyday, and try to use substitutes like blue ice or
arthritis creams, tylenol, etc.
It does not relieve the pain very good, but as I posted previoulsy I can't find one doctor who will give many anything stronger to relieve it.
Anyway, last week I complained to my pain doctor about dizziness, and it is mostly when I get up fast or move my head fast from side to side, it almost feels like I am out of balance.
The doctor said that since Tramadol is a narcotic, it could be lowering my blood pressure and I should see my primary care physician, and then he said maybe you should go to a neurologist for an CAT scan. I had my blood pressure taken a week before my doctor's visit at a supermarket by a professional health worker and she said my pressure is normal (128/64), even though I know there can be fluctuations. I don't know why the doc thinks I should go to a neurologist and subject myself to a battery of tests when the side effects I am experiencing most likely is from Tramadol.
My health care coverage changed for the worse in January, 2005 and now
cost for my medical care is an issue.
Any comments would be appreciated, but I wanted to post this mainly to inform posters about my doctor's comment about lowered blood pressure and Tramadol.
Thanks so much!

Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #14
(female)

soaplady HB User

jacal5, thanks for letting us know about that potential issue with tramadol. I haven't taken any since Friday, although now I'm pretty sore from my first chiro treatment today. I plan on going back on my naproxen once my surgery is over in two weeks.

I asked the chiro about it today, and he said tramadol is the mildest pain killer in this drug class with the least likelihood of addiction, but it's still somewhat habit forming. As with any med, side effects can be different for different people, even though they are not always listed on the drug sheets you get from the pharmacy.

Is there any way you can wean off this, and take naproxen? I don't know if that would be strong enough as it sounds like you have alot of pain. It would be interesting to see if the dizziness goes away.

Another thought.....could the dizziness and out of balance feeling be due to an inner ear problem? My mom had those symptoms and it turned out she had meniere's disease (an inner ear disease). It may not be that for you, but it can't hurt to check that out.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Old 03-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
(male)

skii6868 HB User

My doctor put me on Tramadol and within a week, I was experienceing dizziness, loss of appetite, and my heart rate was very high. At no time did it help ease my pain and I asked my doctor to take me off of that and put me on something else. It was getting pretty scary how fast my heart would start going from that. My doctor said that it was unusaul for that to occur as one of the medicine's effects is usually drowsiness. But then again every medicine that I take that says may cause drowsiness gets me wound up. My personal opinion of Tramadol is that it is nothing more than pez candy and I have talked to pharmiscists and other doctors who share the same opinion.

Closed Thread